Thermal bypass valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I never used them. [emoji2373]

But when you are friends with Ron you can do anything

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji6]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Damn that Ron! Lol

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Reactions: U&A

66rfe_noob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course.

Here is the install video. Kinda ****** video and I needed crows feet, but you will get the jist.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
Thanks for the video....I went to order the part from a distributor, but they told me the part was for diesel trucks only. So, I went on the manufacturers web site and it clearly says it can be used with hemi's so I ordered it directly from the manufacturer.

So, what's the issue with the stock part that it allows the trans to heat up so high? Does it stick closed or is that just the temps that ram want the trans at? I never really paid attention to my trans temps until I was having issues and now that I shelled out $4300 to have a re manufactured trans installed, I'm paranoid about everything and anything going wrong.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the video....I went to order the part from a distributor, but they told me the part was for diesel trucks only. So, I went on the manufacturers web site and it clearly says it can be used with hemi's so I ordered it directly from the manufacturer.

So, what's the issue with the stock part that it allows the trans to heat up so high? Does it stick closed or is that just the temps that ram want the trans at? I never really paid attention to my trans temps until I was having issues and now that I shelled out $4300 to have a re manufactured trans installed, I'm paranoid about everything and anything going wrong.

In 2013 they adopted the Thermal Management System which entails getting everything heated up as fast as possible and to a higher tranny temp then the earlier trucks.Look through the passenger side of your grill if you see an aluminium block with 4 hardlines going to it on your Hemi truck,you have basically a thermostat for the transmission,prior to 2013 the trucks never had that little gadget,and not all 6 speed 2013's seem to have the thermal bypass valve,but if you can see an aluminium block through the grill you have it.

66rfe_noob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In 2013 they adopted the Thermal Management System which entails getting everything heated up as fast as possible and to a higher tranny temp then the earlier trucks.Look through the passenger side of your grill if you see an aluminium block with 4 hardlines going to it on your Hemi truck,you have basically a thermostat for the transmission,prior to 2013 the trucks never had that little gadget,and not all 6 speed 2013's seem to have the thermal bypass valve,but if you can see an aluminium block through the grill you have it.
Yeah, my truck has it....not for long tho. Trans guy said 190-194 was "normal".....where's the temp gonna be when I'm actually towing something? I can't afford to keep replacing the trans or payments for a new truck. Gonna install the ATS TBV.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Exactly, 190-194 is horse ****. My dads Chevy 2500HD has never seen hotter than 170* in its life. It doesn’t have that TBV ********.

Basically it’s a block with a thermostat for 170-175*. It remains closed till the trans fluid temp hits that, and then it opens to the cooler.

The big problem is, if it fails closes, you’re ******. For lack of better words. Running a Trans at 190*+ will cause premature failure.

Normals transmissions that run cooler will last forever with fluid changes. 190*+ will cause it to fail before 100,000 miles.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So here is a question, if your truck is under warranty. Will installing this part void the warranty? I noticed today my trans temp was at 167 in the 40 degree weather.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
FCA would have to prove that this part, which is basically a free flowing version of their part, caused the failure.

Magnusson-Moss Act protects consumers from getting screwed.

They would be hard pressed to prove that something that allows the trans fluid to free flow caused a failure.

Now at your own risk, if you install it and it leaks and you run your trans out of fluid, that’s your fault.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

66rfe_noob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I ordered the ATS TVB and went to install it and it does NOT fit on a 2013 Ram 2500 5.7 hemi w/66rfe. The male threads on the cooler lines are smaller in diameter than the female threads on the TVB. Back to square one. I emailed the guy from the manufacturer who told me that the TVB would fit my vehicle to let him know that it doesn't. Hoping I'm not out $110 and that they will let me return it as there is nothing on their website about returns.

Apparently, their distributors know more about the manufacturer's product than the manufacturer knows because I was told it wouldn't fit my truck by one of their distributors.

Last edited:
Reactions: U&A

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Okay, I ordered the ATS TVB and went to install it and it does NOT fit on a 2013 Ram 2500 5.7 hemi w/66rfe. The male threads on the cooler lines are smaller in diameter than the female threads on the TVB. Back to square one. I emailed the guy from the manufacturer who told me that the TVB would fit my vehicle to let him know that it doesn't. Hoping I'm not out $110 and that they will let me return it as there is nothing on their website about returns.

Apparently, their distributors know more about the manufacturer's product than the manufacturer knows because I was told it wouldn't fit my truck by one of their distributors.

Can you post some pics of your TBV on the truck please, and some of the one you got?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So here is a question, if your truck is under warranty. Will installing this part void the warranty? I noticed today my trans temp was at 167 in the 40 degree weather.

Keep the old one and put it back on when something happens.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Unless it’s a different part that I’m familiar with from when I installed it on my truck it does not actually have threads or thread into anything.

They are “E”clips. They snap in

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another from the Dad files... Change your serpentine belt, put the old one under the hood for a spare it will get you home.

"Get you home" being the point here. Not for the next month until you pick one up.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Unless it’s a different part that I’m familiar with from when I installed it on my truck it does not actually have threads or thread into anything.

They are “E”clips. They snap in

I only had clips on one side and threads on the other. op you go to a hardware store and get brase reducers and that way you can use it. and wont have to put the old junk back in.

66rfe_noob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you post some pics of your TBV on the truck please, and some of the one you got?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Everything lines up, but the threads don’t match.

The cooler lines on the truck don’t have any clips, they just thread into the block.

8942012E-C3A8-4267-B28A-F8C4BB3C5052.jpeg

EE9992E0-D88E-46F7-A424-4C0997C5AF52.jpeg

ACF5B874-B21D-42AE-A5E0-AF6C247303BA.jpeg

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Too big or small or wrong thread pitch?

Anyway you could find a brass reducer to make it work? Or at this point find a brass union to just hook the lines together and return the ATS block

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

66rfe_noob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I was wondering....if I could just rig something up between the lines.....same as the block. I'm gonna see what I can do.....put the old crap back in for now. ATS got back to me already...said they'll start to set up a return and refund on monday.

66rfe_noob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too big or small or wrong thread pitch?

Anyway you could find a brass reducer to make it work? Or at this point find a brass union to just hook the lines together and return the ATS block

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
The fittings on the truck are too small for the ATS....I'm gonna try and rig something between the lines. Thanks for trying to help me out, I appreciate it.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I only had clips on one side and threads on the other. op you go to a hardware store and get brase reducers and that way you can use it. and wont have to put the old junk back in.

Dang,

Your right.

I was mistaken. One side was threads.

The one way to avoid this problem is to splice in some new hardlines.

This aftermarket bypass block is not necessarily needed. It just makes it easy. If I had fitment issues and there was nothing available .....knowing what I know now I would take the time and money to run new lines with no bypass block.

One of the TOP 5 upgrades to a RAM no doubt.

Last edited: