Thick oil in radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breadman1951

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Suddenly I have oil in the radiator and overflow tank.
There is no coolant in the engine oil or transmission ,however the engine oil is low.
Haven't had an issue with maintaining oil level in the past and I do an oil change every 3000 miles, religiously.
250,000 miles on truck.
Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Has anyone seen oil migrating into the cooling system from the oil cooler?
Could replacement be a solution?

Has anyone done a flush and used Barr's head gasket repair to correct something like this?

I used Barr's on a Intrepid and it lasted a couple of years.

This is tough as I drive for my work.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More than likely it’s in the head gasket but as the oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure the oil pushes into the coolant. I don’t think the 2010 has an engine oil cooler though?. I know my 17 does but I’m not sure when they added it as standard. If you plan on fixing the vehicle properly in the future I would not run anything that’s any type of stop leak additive as it could cause other issues. Those are more of emergency short term fixes that I’ve never truly seen work. 250,000 miles is pretty good for the hemi and honestly could use a top end refresh anyways like valve stem seals and a good cleaning and new gaskets to help the engine run a bit longer at peak performance.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
First double check trans fluid level. The radiator has a cooler for the trans. They can crack and leak.
Second, if your truck has an oil cooler it can also crack internally and mix with the coolant. Head gasket would be last on the list of suspects.
Remember, trans pressure and oil pressure is alot higher than coolant ever is.

And lastly, this post is in the wrong spot. You posted in "Detailing".

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
First double check trans fluid level. The radiator has a cooler for the trans. They can crack and leak.
Second, if your truck has an oil cooler it can also crack internally and mix with the coolant. Head gasket would be last on the list of suspects.
Remember, trans pressure and oil pressure is alot higher than coolant ever is.

And lastly, this post is in the wrong spot. You posted in "Detailing".
The transmission cooler is in the top part of the A/C condensor on the 1500's,not in the Rad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye