Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Rebuild / Mod motor

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • New truck

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Used motor

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea but that one from Jegs isn't stock by any means. 400hp yea no that has heads intake and probably roller rockers along with some other goodies. I'm talking mopar direct replacement.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well had a chance to talk to her dad last night. Dealer quoted him 3995 to install a rebuilt crate motor with a 3yr warranty. Supposed that this price included the engine. But apparently it clanks while running so they say internally it is done. Possible wrist pin or spun bearing dont know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Wait the motor the want to put in "clanks" or the old one in the truck "clanks"?
Advice I gave to all my customers is this, If your gonna keep it till it falls apart it is worth the money. If you don't like it and plan on trading it in, even if it's a year or more away, don't put the money in. You would never see it back when you sell or trade it off.

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a pretty good price, and the 3 year warranty is a plus.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
for 2+k you could of already had a brand new crate 360 in it. a used one will cost ya about 400 to 800

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea he is really tempted to have the dealer just do it. I'm going to try and sway him that way.

His current motor has a clank in it. The heads were cracked so they replaced those then found that the truck has a clank in it when they started it. The clank is in the block somewhere. So they want to just replace it rather than start tearing it down to find it. They said that it would be cheaper and easier. I would have to agree. Just get the rebuilt motor and put it in with the warranty. Warranty FTW.

As for the stroker... If this ever happens to mine you better believe that I will be considering a new truck. My body is starting to goes south :(

But he just put 2200 bucks in getting it restored. But I told him that the body will rust again. You never cure cancer you chase it. So I'm not sure what he is going to do. I have told him all the options and every ones thoughts. Keep throwing ideas I will keep sharing.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say get a new truck. That almost $4,000 would be a good down payment. Plus you could get a warranty on the whole truck and not just the motor. But he would have to start making payments which he might not like. So it's $4,000 now and put the payment money(let's say $300 a month or so depending on what truck he gets) into savings for future repairs. Or $4,000 for a down payment, plus payments, but a warranty to cover any possible repairs and a newer/better truck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
This is true.

But he went ahead and signed for a new motor. So he is getting a newly rebuilt 5.9 installed for the 4k. 3yr 100k mile warranty. He loves his truck too much to get a new one. I don't blame him. He really doesn't want payments. He's ready to retire. So before long I'm sure he will upgrade to a new one.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm sayin' get a crate motor, add what ya want to it and slap it in.

You might even get a core refund for the old one after ya strip it.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have actually thought about seeing if I can get the old motor for my 408 build!!

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
I would rebuild it after I got it out of the dealership if you can afford to pay there high priced keep finding reasons to charge you more & more. Stealerships is what they are. I wouldn't take a vehicle to a stealership if it was the last place. I'd drag my old crippled body out & pay some school kid to do the wrenching as I supervised. Even if I payed him $20/hr I'd be ahead.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I just read all this wow. But in the end if they stick to the quote he'll have a great Truck which cannot be bought for 4K nowadays.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That was our thinking. Not like he will put 100k on it on 3 yrs. He has yet to roll 100k. So yea he is pretty happy getting a new motor. He's thinking it will also get him some mpgs. I just had to laugh. Lol he might get 14tops on the highway.