Thinking of switching from '16-'19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So Ive got the chance to switch from my '16 sport to a '19 sport. Not sure if im really wanting to do it.

I purchased my 16 on 0% so im not out any money per say to swap, just time. Ive always told my salesman when he can match my payments on a 5th gen, id trade up and looks like now he can.

Current truck, '16 sport Bright Metallic Silver, 4x4, Quad cab, Ramboxes, 3.92 gears, trailer brake, 8.4 no nav cloth sport seats, 6 speaker stereo, 43,000KMS

Truck im looking at, '19 sport Tri coat white ( white pearl ), basically has a limited interior, heated and cooled leather, panoramic sunroof, double cab, 8.4 with nav, 2 zone air, alpine stereo etc, 13000KMS ( my salesman demo unit ) Ive driven it and its a very nice truck, rides better than my 16 and has more goodies.

That being said, it has 3.21 gearing, no trailer brake, no step bars, no Ramboxes and being a demo I would have lost 7 months of the full warranty. Sticker price on it is $72,000 canadian.

Know the trailer brake and bars can be added, but im really going to miss the ramboxes. It also doesn't have the bed lighting.

So basically im only loosing 3 years of time / payments but gaining a bunch of other things while loosing some I really like just looking for some feedback from those who did the 4th gen to 5th gen swap and how you like your decision.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All depends on yer perception. I swapped from 4th to 5th because went from ED to HEMI. Looks like u get more stuff but lose some stuff. Guess U need to get a sheet of paper, put line down middle, put differences PRO/CON and see which boxes get checked more. IF no $$$$$$ issue, then personal preference. IF U tow a lot and a lot of weight, I would stay with the 16 and 3.92 gears, just a saying. DO What makes U happy, and not listen to any of our opinions, because in the end, gonna be how the seat of yer pants feels, just a saying, all IMHO....

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't do it and I have a 2019 and really like it. Your truck is barely broke in (22k miles or so) and you're getting a used truck (7k miles) and losing 3 years of payments. You're losing useful technical stuff for fluffy stuff.

I say keep it, but it really depends on how bad you want a new truck. Financially it's almost guaranteed to be a bad move so there's that.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got 3.21 truck, 4 X 4, but I do not tow much, If I was still towing more than a few times of year, I would have 3.92

OP
OP
Damion

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should also mention I don’t tow very often with my truck. And when I do it’s not heavy stuff at all.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
The advantage to the 3.92 is this: you do not have to "put your foot in it" to get the truck to respond. Just a very little bit of increase in throttle pressure will either increase the speed or get the transmission to shift down a gear. It takes a substantial amount of increased throttle in a truck with 3.21 to make the same change, plus the 3.21 truck might have the transmission shift down anyway, resulting in too much throttle for what you wanted to accomplish. A prime example of that can happen on a rather easy incline.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Personally I was considering the same but now I'm going to wait till they put different motors in them,maybe a v6 with turbo or something.Basically your just trading your truck for a nicer interior.Usually after two years of creating a new gen ram they change something.

OP
OP
Damion

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I decided to pull the trigger and get the ‘19. Thanks to all who gave their input. It wasn’t an easy decision by any means. Aside from the no rambox and 3.21 it’s otherwise equipped how I wish my 16 would’ve been. It does have the limited slip diff which my 16 didn’t though

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Well I decided to pull the trigger and get the ‘19. Thanks to all who gave their input. It wasn’t an easy decision by any means. Aside from the no rambox and 3.21 it’s otherwise equipped how I wish my 16 would’ve been. It does have the limited slip diff which my 16 didn’t though

I just did the same thing. I went from a 14 to a 19. However I hunted for one how I wanted it. Ramboxes, 3.92, and a few other extras that 19's get. Me personally I couldn't live without those things but the upgrade in features and options from my 2014 was worth it overall.

OP
OP
Damion

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer hasn’t gotten any with the rambox yet. They said they are back ordered

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
The dealer hasn’t gotten any with the rambox yet. They said they are back ordered

I hear you. I just found a truck with Ramboxes on a dealer lot built how I wanted it. Took me a long time to find one.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_2037.jpg This is what I tow and I have zero issues with the 3:21/8spd.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I originally thought I wanted the Ram boxes, which are pretty ingenious and hold a lot of stuff, until 2 things happened:

1. The guy that does my house inspections had one and showed me how the side of his truck has gotten scratched up from pulling things in and out of the boxes. I suppose some of that is just carelessness, but I can see how things could drop out as you were pulling them out like tools and extension cords.

2. I realized you couldn't put a truck top on it if you wanted to, which I often do (and did a couple months ago) in order to keep my power tools dry and locked up, especially big stuff from job sites like table saws that don't fit in the cab if it starts to rain or you want to stop for lunch.

For the average homeowner guy though I can definitely see how they would be useful!