THIS is what a gear selector should look like for an electronic transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You talk about minivans... This knob shifter is straight out of a minivan.

It is? I thought the only other vehicles with the knobs was the Cherokee, maybe the Journey, and my cousin’s wife’s 2016 or 2017 Phord Fusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love the rotary shift knob. Took a few days to get used to, but now I love it. Opened up a lot of space in the console. Never once confused it for the volume or fan knob.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When looking at new trucks I was only considering RAM and Ford because they had the knob shifter. I personally find it easier to get into gear without looking. Especially the reverse to drive part.

That said, I had a 2 day test drive with GMC 2020 Acadia Denali with their new transmission and push/pull button arrangement. All the reviewers are making fun of it not being all push button and give it a knock because of it. I thought this going in and by day two I was sold on it. The reason drive and reverse are pulls is beacuse you don't need to look, just feel. Get in the car reach and have one finger on reverse and second on drive. Flick one and back up and flick the other as I'm still rolling back and off I go. No accidently hitting the wrong button. Make fun all they want but I think it was genius after real use.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My biggest ***** with the knob is the fact my daily company 1 ton GM still uses the column shifter and my truck with the knob is only an evening or week-end toy,so making the switch between the 2 kind of sucks at times,as I put more miles on my work vehicle by a long shot then I do my 8 speed truck,so you never really develop any muscle memory,and to really throw a monkey wrench into the mix my wifes 8 speed Challenger has a console shifter.Between the 3 of them,i much prefer the Challengers console shifter as it doesn't require any muscle memory to use,plus i'm old school and grew up with console shifted muscle cars,lol. I still think they should of made a console shifter for the Sports or higher trim levels,even if it was an option.Giving people the choice of either a knob or console shifter would of been nice,kind of like it used to be,lol

Last edited:

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
2 years later and I still grab the fan knob on occasion. With a column shift lever I never had to look at it. Could keep my eyes on the road, or in the mirror, and shift very fast between drive and reverse. Was very natural.

I can't believe only B&M have made an aftermarket knob. You can buy any imaginable shape and size of manual shifter knobs, and only one for a Ram?

Personally I'd like one that protrudes more, like a shower knob. Maybe a chrome or rubberized version of this? Maybe I'll try to make one myself. Maybe I could attach a hand-crafted wood knob to the existing one? Hmmm...

GJXK.jpg

Last edited: