those that dont have fith wheel prep, but want it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I installed the fifth wheel prep in my '14 3500. I cant belive how simple it was.
Kit contains the 4 outer puck components, but not the center goose neck puck. Not sure if it was available or not. The instructions list this kit for 3500, not sure if it fits the 2500.

First step was to loosen bed bolts on driver side, and remove bolts from passenger side. Lift and block passenger side of bed and place the cast piece in the pockets on top of the frame. Fasten with two bolts for each peice. Repeat for drivers side. Pic shows the pockets where the cast pucks go.

Map out in the bed where the 4, 3 3/4" holes need to be cut, install the trim pieces and caps, and your done. Took me around 3 hrs. I took my time and triple checked my measurements before drilling the holes. I had a 3 5/8 hole saw, and that worked fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20150412_091431635.jpg
    IMG_20150412_091431635.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20150412_115211123.jpg
    IMG_20150412_115211123.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20150412_115223526.jpg
    IMG_20150412_115223526.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20150412_143744415.jpg
    IMG_20150412_143744415.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20150412_091140772_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150412_091140772_HDR.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 110

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good info.... thanks. I'm likely going the change/upgrade RVs in the next couple years and am unsure if it will be a 5th or a TT. I well may be heading down this road. Glad to see someone pull it off. I don't know if I'd be so brave as to drill into my truck. I'd have to at least double the old cliché of "measure twice...." :)

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks great, thanks for the info. Did you need to protect the bare metal after you cut the holes? Can you also explain the center goose neck puck? What did you use in its absence?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Looks great, thanks for the info. Did you need to protect the bare metal after you cut the holes? Can you also explain the center goose neck puck? What did you use in its absence?

Yes. I primed and painted the edges of the holes. I plan on getting a linex this summer, and ill take the trim peices out so the edges will be covered. From the factory, there is a 5th hole in the center of the bed for a goose neck ball. I didnt cut that hole as I had nothing to put there.
I can get a fifth wheel to goose neck adapter if I ever decide I need a goose neck equipment trailer.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah gotcha thanks

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It would make me cringe to have to drill the holes in my new truck! Youre a brave soul. Thats why i ordered it with the prep. I would let my ocd kick in if i did it and probably measure more like 10x :) I would be too paranoid about making a mistake. You dont want those hitch legs to be off. Good job. Glad youre all set up. Looks nice and level too. By the way, how much was the kit? Just wondering how much they ***** me for. Im sure it took the bots (I assume) a whole 5 seconds of labor.

I installed the fifth wheel prep in my '14 3500. I cant belive how simple it was.
Kit contains the 4 outer puck components, but not the center goose neck puck. Not sure if it was available or not. The instructions list this kit for 3500, not sure if it fits the 2500.

First step was to loosen bed bolts on driver side, and remove bolts from passenger side. Lift and block passenger side of bed and place the cast piece in the pockets on top of the frame. Fasten with two bolts for each peice. Repeat for drivers side. Pic shows the pockets where the cast pucks go.

Map out in the bed where the 4, 3 3/4" holes need to be cut, install the trim pieces and caps, and your done. Took me around 3 hrs. I took my time and triple checked my measurements before drilling the holes. I had a 3 5/8 hole saw, and that worked fine.

OP
OP
M

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
It would make me cringe to have to drill the holes in my new truck! Youre a brave soul. Thats why i ordered it with the prep. I would let my ocd kick in if i did it and probably measure more like 10x :) I would be too paranoid about making a mistake. You dont want those hitch legs to be off. Good job. Glad youre all set up. Looks nice and level too. By the way, how much was the kit? Just wondering how much they ***** me for. Im sure it took the bots (I assume) a whole 5 seconds of labor.

Kit cost me $225.00. I belive the factory prep cost $400.00, but you get the 5th gooseneck option where I didn't. The directions for cutting the holes were very easy to follow. I have read some of the factory holes were off by 3/4". The holes could actually be alot smaller, but I'm guessing Ram may make them oversized for a little wiggle room.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Where did you buy the kit? can you provide a link?

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That was awesome! Glad someone finally done it. Great job! Thanks for the pics...

OP
OP
M

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Where did you buy the kit? can you provide a link?

Got the kit from my dealer. Seen them on ebay for the same price. $225.00
Part # 82213665AB. The directions have 3500 on the top, so im not sure if this will fit the 2500. mite be different part #??

yellowdog00

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 3500 SRW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mowin,
Glad I found this thread. I have a different problem. I have the fifth wheel prep in the 2015 3500 I just got and am going to install a Pullrite Superglide in it. I bought the Pullrite Part 4439 picture frame adapter to install in the pucks. I know it was more expensive than the Reese but I thought being 4 pieces it would be easier to install and less weight to handle.

I got the passenger side into the pucks but the driver's side is too tight by 1/8" or so and will not fit into pucks and rotate to lock in.

I called Pullrite and they said I should loosen the bolts under the bed that hold the pucks in and install adaptor and then retighten bolts. They said loosening them would give me enough slop to get the adaptor in and once tightened it would fit right from then on.

I was having trouble figuring out which bolts to loosen but your pics help me understand that. Do you recall what size socket you used and do you have any thoughts or tips on getting them loose? They don't look that easy to get to for someone with minimal tools and experience.

I thought this would be an easy project but it has not turned out to be. It doesn't help that this is my first fifth wheel hitch and I'm not mechanically inclined. Appreciate any thoughts you may have and thanks for posting your knowledge.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
did you secure the passenger side?. If you did that's your problem. Try repositioning it leaving it all loose, then securing. This is just a guess without seeing it. This is why I'm going to go with a goose ball and the Andersen ultimate hitch. Very light and quick hookup. If I end up needing a side winder, I'll get one. I want to be able to use my bed and not have to get a hernia each time I pull the hitch out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mowin,
Glad I found this thread. I have a different problem. I have the fifth wheel prep in the 2015 3500 I just got and am going to install a Pullrite Superglide in it. I bought the Pullrite Part 4439 picture frame adapter to install in the pucks. I know it was more expensive than the Reese but I thought being 4 pieces it would be easier to install and less weight to handle.

I got the passenger side into the pucks but the driver's side is too tight by 1/8" or so and will not fit into pucks and rotate to lock in.

I called Pullrite and they said I should loosen the bolts under the bed that hold the pucks in and install adaptor and then retighten bolts. They said loosening them would give me enough slop to get the adaptor in and once tightened it would fit right from then on.

I was having trouble figuring out which bolts to loosen but your pics help me understand that. Do you recall what size socket you used and do you have any thoughts or tips on getting them loose? They don't look that easy to get to for someone with minimal tools and experience.

I thought this would be an easy project but it has not turned out to be. It doesn't help that this is my first fifth wheel hitch and I'm not mechanically inclined. Appreciate any thoughts you may have and thanks for posting your knowledge.

Your going to need a 18mm. Is yours a 2500 or 3500? The kits are totally different. The front pucks on the 2500 mount to the side of the frame, where on the 3500 all 4 pucks mount in "pockets" on top of the frame. On my curt hitch, the legs have castle nuts with a cotter pin. I had to remove the pin a loosen the nut 1/4 turn to gain enough clearance to lock the cam into the puck. Hope this helps....

Edit.. I see you have a 3500. you should be able to get a wrench on the nuts on the inside of the frame to loosen them. Remember to torque them to 90-95 lbs.

Last edited:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey mowin. Do your covers twist the trim pieces on the bed and just keep turning when you go to remove them? Cause mine are. You have to hold the trim piece in place when twisting the cover to take it off otherwise it will just keep turning.

OP
OP
M

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mine covers dont twist on, they just push in. Its a square hole. They are a little bit of a pain to get off without a screw driver to lift em out.