Thoughts on adjustable drop hitch—

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like you could put the multi ball on the same slide. As far as adjustment it looks like you can go reasonably low or straight or flip it and go higher, which is what I mostly run. Its just pins and the piece not being used should fit in a floor bin. Nice thing about a pintle and air suspension is if you set the jack while in or2 you can drop to entry exit and drive away or back in in entry exit and air up to hook in.

Yeah I figured that that pintle-hook slider was probably an option that you could buy also and have the ball hitch it it comes with and if you have to pull a pintle-hook trailer, you can buy that separately as an accessory.

But pintle-hook or not, the off road 2 mode and the entry/exit mode still works wonders on ball trailers. I don’t use it with my little 10 foot utility trailer, but that day I had to pull a friend of mine‘s Mustang down to the transmission shop, I used my air suspension to latch onto and unlatch from my bosses big ole heavy duty flatbed trailer. I didn’t really need to because it was empty but being that I normally just pick up the tongue of my utility trailer and couple it that way, I couldn’t do that with that flatbed. That air ride also came in really handy for loading his car, as well. His car sits a lot lower to the ground than normal and even with the dovetail on the back, I still had to drive the back of my truck up on my oil change ramps, and even still had to put the truck in Offroad 2 mode just to get the back of the trailer to go down far enough so that he could drive his car up on there and not scrape the bottom of it, or rip his plastic front bumper off. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, just came across this one, the 3405 - 6" Rapid Hitch with 2"x2-5/16" Greaseless AlumiBall.

Still 10,000 max trailer weight with the 2-5/16ths ball. I don’t know if it’s reversible or not like the other ones but if it is, Anderson sells a locking pin kit that secured both the hitch to the tube, and the slider to the shank. Thoughts?

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, just came across this one, the 3405 - 6" Rapid Hitch with 2"x2-5/16" Greaseless AlumiBall.

Still 10,000 max trailer weight with the 2-5/16ths ball. I don’t know if it’s reversible or not like the other ones but if it is, Anderson sells a locking pin kit that secured both the hitch to the tube, and the slider to the shank. Thoughts?

That's what I have but with a 2.5" shank in my 2500, I actually had the 4" drop when I had a 1500 and just bought the bigger shank and reused the the ball part. I have had it for around 4 years and only had to replace one of the nylon caps. Which was as easy as a call to Andersen giving them my address an it showed up a couple days later. Regularly used for about 4k towing and occasionally at 10K. I leave it in 24/7 and have the locking kit.

I got my dad the stainless ball version for his truck and he tows 10k almost every weekend without a problem.

Theres no flipping it backwards but I wasn't worried about it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I have but with a 2.5" shank in my 2500, I actually had the 4" drop when I had a 1500 and just bought the bigger shank and reused the the ball part. I have had it for around 4 years and only had to replace one of the nylon caps. Which was as easy as a call to Andersen giving them my address an it showed up a couple days later. Regularly used for about 4k towing and occasionally at 10K. I leave it in 24/7 and have the locking kit.

I got my dad the stainless ball version for his truck and he tows 10k almost every weekend without a problem.

Theres no flipping it backwards but I wasn't worried about it.

So what’s the difference between the stainless ball and the grease-less ball? Although I’ve never pulled anything heavy enough I spose to really warrant greasing the hitch ball I guess but I kinda like the idea of the grease-less one being the same as a greased ball, but without the mess but other than that, what’s the difference?

But you leave your hitch in the receiver tube 24/7, even though I’m assuming you mean the slider can’t be turned around out of the way like the B&W, when you say there’s no flipping it backwards? I’m not so sure I’d want to leave mine in the tube like that all the time since it’s a tripping hazard if the ball hitch part can’t be tucked outta the way. But since you do, how is the aluminum holding up being next to the steel in your receiver tube all the time? That’s one of the things I was concerned about, was corrosion from the constant contact between the two different types of metals all the time.

And since that is aluminum, I’m assuming the shank is solid aluminum?

One thing I like about the B&W is that since it’s steel, the shank is hollow which would work great with the really neat hitch pin I found that silences the hitch as it literally bolts it in place at the same time so it doesn’t rattle, and even adds an extra step in security as it requires a wrench to unbolt it on the opposite side, even in the event if someone breaks off the lock cylinder on the other side. Check it out here.

But yeah, after watching that above video, it’s awful hard to trust a typical locking hitch pin again...lol. That, and even a sawsall cuts through that like a knife through butter. Lol. Hopefully that hitchpin kit that Andersen sells like you got is much better quality than even a Master Lock hitch pin you buy at Walmart or at _________ autoparts store.

I dunno, If I do get an aluminum one that that special silencing hitch pin won’t work with, I’ll probably invest in one of those hitch-tightener things that keeps your hitch from rattling. Even if they bust off the lock cylinder, they’d still have to have a socket wrench or other tool to unclamp the hitch from the tube.

This is gonna be a hard choice to make. lol.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I run this one and I don’t think it can be beat for for the price. I don’t leave it in so even though it ugly I don’t care. It is solid and won’t break.

CURT 45900 Adjustable Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, 2-Inch Receiver, 6-Inch Drop, 5-1/4-Inch Rise, 2-Inch and 2-5/16-Inch Tow Balls, 14,000 lbs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SMGAJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lGTgDb07WHWH1

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is my favorite hitch and works on Ram but when I sold my Ram it doesn’t work on Yukon XL so sadly had to get the other one I posted to use for now.

Shocker Air Bag Receiver Hitch with Adjustable Multi-Ball Ball Mount - Fits All 2 inch Receiver Hitches - 2 & 2 5/16 inch Balls - 12,000 lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJLNQCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lITgDbXW2A8N5

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Stainless ball is just a regular stainless steel ball set that requires to be greased if you want to curb the squeaking while turning in the coupler. The grease-less ball is an aluminum ball set with Nylon ball caps, no squeak and no grease needed. However the caps wont last forever if used on a regular basis or if your coupler is a little tight. They have a lifetime warranty though.

Yep the andersen has slots not holes that the pin locks into so there is no tucking it under the truck, not a concern for me as I want it to stick out some keep people and other items from scratching up my bumper. No corrosion problems, but I'm south florida so no salt other than at the boat ramp.

Yep solid aluminum

Never notice a rattle and a little of rubber or tape can easily fix that.

I have the locks from andersen and they work great but they are only gonna keep the honest people honest. If someone wants it and has a grinder and some time its theirs.

B&W is quality too and would have been my second choice, Im not sold on the weigh safe as to me it would be great for a contractor that was loading up trailers with different stuff all the time, but Im not so no need for a scale.hitch.jpg

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I have seen aluminum ones break off. I wouldn’t do those. They are lighter but they trade pure strength to get that light. Steel is the kind if you want it to last forever. It might be rusty but won’t break.

5eb8e8a60e64d3ed64d398e8fe8cf430.jpg

I can’t find the pic of the adjustable one right now. They basically break off because of the jostling and pounding of typical towing heavy loads.

Last edited:

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have seen aluminum ones break off. I wouldn’t do those. They are lighter but they trade pure strength to get that light. Steel is the kind if you want it to last forever. It might be rusty but won’t break.

I can’t find the pic of the adjustable one right now. They basically break off because of the jostling and pounding of typical towing heavy loads.

Yep steel ones don't break
broken hitch.jpg

Like anything use it within it limits and there should be no problems exceed them regularly and you may find out the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
there was quite a few people who said that theirs were starting to leak oil and that that little tongue weight scale was not as accurate or reliable

That has not been my experience. Its the Internet, it is where people come to complain and many offer up a complaint when they don't even have the product they are complaining about. If I took everything I've read to heart about everything I have, I wouldn't have a RAM Cummins, Kubota tractor, Samsung Refer or TV, Montana camper, Tracker fishing boat, Mercury outboard motor, etc. You get the drift.

But it sounds like you use your hitch a lot so, I’m curious; being that your hitch is made out of aluminum, how does it hold up on the shank that’s inside the receiver tube? Is yours having that same kind of wear that I talked about in my post of a few posts up where I talked about how that Smittybuilt hitch of mine had quite a bit of wear just for the one day’s worth of use that really wasn’t even that much?

I have the 2 1/2 inch shank, I leave the hitch in the receiver since I do tow often and leave it in even when pulling a gooseneck or fifth-wheel. The hitch primarily pulls a utility trailer with tractor/backhoe or my boat. The boat puts 400 pounds on the hitch, the tractor about 700 to 800 pounds depending on how the tractor is configured. I don't see any wear, all I see are witness marks on the shank where it exits the receiver.

I remember seeing a YouTube video from the engineer that designed the Weight Safe's. The hitch is machined from billet, not forged. I don't know a lot about that but the video's explanation made sense, along with the scale I chose the WS solution. No regrets.

I’ve seen where they make some kind of anti-rattle device

I've read about this but I am left wondering, rattle. If my hitch rattles back there, I sure don't hear it. Maybe it is the weight and fit of the hitch that causes it not to rattle, I don't know, I've never heard a hitch rattle in all my days of towing. To me, any type of device like that is a recipe for shank seize-up.

But since you said the shop on fit, rather than on cost, I don’t think I really need a 10 inch drop, I just assumed the 6 inch drop would be real close to plenty because I figure that would make my little utility trailer about as level as it ever could be since I’m only going to be using this hitch with a half ton pickup. But, like I said though, I do have air ride so even if I do load it up, or hook on to something else fairly heavy, the back end of my truck’s not going to squat like a normal half ton will because my air ride will compensate for that and air itself up.

Since I'm an advocate of "buy it once", I took measurements of my trailer hitch heights, paying close attention to be sure the trailer was sitting level. I wanted equal weight on both of the trailer's axels. The 3500, even when the air suspension is set to AUX (about a 1" drop), sits high. I could have gotten away with an 8-inch drop but I had the clearance for 10" so I future proofed.

I see your thread is heading south with pictures of hitch failures made of various materials. The pictures show failure but there is no explanation why the hitch failed, was it modified, overloaded, stressed beyond design, who knows. But, this is the Internet, and I trust it as much as I do mainstream media.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen aluminum ones break off. I wouldn’t do those. They are lighter but they trade pure strength to get that light. Steel is kind of you want it to last forever. It might be rusty but one break.

What brand hitch is that? Also, is that the bigger two inch ball?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
View attachment 171866

Like anything use it within it limits and there should be no problems exceed them regularly and you may find out the hard way.

I guess I should have said my steel ones haven’t broke [emoji23] that looks terrible.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What brand hitch is that? Also, is that the bigger two inch ball?

I don’t know the details brand could be a factor. I saw it on a farm site and saved the picture. No an Anderson rapid but not sure what this one was.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That has not been my experience. Its the Internet, it is where people come to complain and many offer up a complaint when they don't even have the product they are complaining about. If I took everything I've read to heart about everything I have, I wouldn't have a RAM Cummins, Kubota tractor, Samsung Refer or TV, Montana camper, Tracker fishing boat, Mercury outboard motor, etc. You get the drift.
That’s good to hear. Nothing is immune to manufacturing flaws when it comes to things that are mass-produced. A good company will stand behind their product and make it right if something happens.

I’m usually not one to take most internet reviews for straight-up gospel because you are right, we wouldn’t own any of the things we own if we took someone else’s review straight to heart.

I have the 2 1/2 inch shank, I leave the hitch in the receiver since I do tow often and leave it in even when pulling a gooseneck or fifth-wheel. The hitch primarily pulls a utility trailer with tractor/backhoe or my boat. The boat puts 400 pounds on the hitch, the tractor about 700 to 800 pounds depending on how the tractor is configured. I don't see any wear, all I see are witness marks on the shank where it exits the receiver.
Again, it looks like you use your hitch a lot. Mine, whichever one I get, won’t get used near that much. And in saying that, it probably won’t get left in the receiver when it’s not in use because there’s just no need to. Not in my case, anyways. But it’s good to hear that yours isn’t wearing like the aluminum one hitch I have.

I remember seeing a YouTube video from the engineer that designed the Weight Safe's. The hitch is machined from billet, not forged. I don't know a lot about that but the video's explanation made sense, along with the scale I chose the WS solution. No regrets.

Is billet aluminum stronger than forged aluminum? That little aluminum Smittybuilt I have, I believe is forged.

I've read about this but I am left wondering, rattle. If my hitch rattles back there, I sure don't hear it. Maybe it is the weight and fit of the hitch that causes it not to rattle, I don't know, I've never heard a hitch rattle in all my days of towing. To me, any type of device like that is a recipe for shank seize-up.

I don’t know, I’m not so much worried about the hitch rattling for the noise part, it’s just more less about the accelerated wear on the softer aluminum as it vibrates around inside the receiver tube. Loaded, it’s probably not going to wiggle around a lot if the clearances were made right to where it fits just snug enough inside but it’s more less for when you’re pulling an empty trailer, or when the hitch rides in there just by itself. That’s what I’m more worried about.

Like I said, back when I pulled my little utility trailer for most of the day helping those people move from one house to the other, I don’t know if the wear I saw on that hitch at the end of the day was just from when the trailer was loaded, or if a lot of that was from when the trailer was empty and the hitch was bouncing around inside the tube because that hitch had about the same wobble-around play in it as any other hitch I’ve had.

But correct me if I’m wrong; I would think that having a steel receiver hitch inside the steel receiver tube for long periods of time is what would result in a seize-up because of the two metals resting together like that as they rust. I would think an aluminum hitch wouldn’t do that unless it started to corrode.

Since I’m an advocate of “buy it once”, I took measurements of my trailer hitch heights, paying close attention to be sure the trailer was sitting level. I wanted equal weight on both of the trailer’s axels. The 3500, even when the air suspension is set to AUX (about a 1” drop), sits high. I could have gotten away with an 8-inch drop but I had the clearance for 10” so I future proofed.
I’ll have to definitely do that one of these weekends, get the measuring tape out to see just how much drop I would need to make my little utility trailer ride level as I pull it but just by looking at it, it seems as though about a 6 inch drop is what I really have to have.

I see your thread is heading south with pictures of hitch failures made of various materials. The pictures show failure but there is no explanation why the hitch failed, was it modified, overloaded, stressed beyond design, who knows. But, this is the Internet, and I trust it as much as I do mainstream media.

I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s headed south, but I do want to be aware of possible failures like that. I know that these aluminum hitches are either forged or billet, but its still made out of aluminum and to be able to hold the weight that they say these things will hold, upwards of 10,000 pounds on something like that is a lot. Luckily, as I said, I probably won’t ever exert that amount of load or stress to whatever hitch I decide to go with but as you said, instead of just seeing pictures of hitch failures, I would like to know the history behind that as to what really happened as to why it failed because there are so many different factors that can cause that.

But how come the WS 180° doesn’t have the tongue weight gauge? Even though my halfton does have the air ride suspension, I’m still sporting a halfton with not that much ground clearance so, that would be more of the reason of why I would be aiming towards the flat bottom hitch like what you have is just so that there will never be as much of a problem of dragging the bottom of the hitch on the ground.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 171866

That looks like a B&W hitch. Was that one of yours, or do you know the person who had that or did you just find that picture off of a Google search? Not trying to be mean or snarky, I’m just simply curious as to what led to that hitch failing like that. But that brings up an important question; in essence, which hitch would technically be stronger, a hollow steel shank, or a solid aluminum shank?

I don’t know, it may be due to my lack of experience but I would think that in order for a steel shank receiver hitch to be stronger than an aluminum one is that it would have to be solid instead of a hollow piece of steel tubing.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Stainless ball is just a regular stainless steel ball set that requires to be greased if you want to curb the squeaking while turning in the coupler. The grease-less ball is an aluminum ball set with Nylon ball caps, no squeak and no grease needed. However the caps wont last forever if used on a regular basis or if your coupler is a little tight. They have a lifetime warranty though.
OK, I just wasn’t sure if there was any difference in weight rating being that the grease-less ball is made out of aluminum and the other one is made out of stainless.

Yep the andersen has slots not holes that the pin locks into so there is no tucking it under the truck, not a concern for me as I want it to stick out some keep people and other items from scratching up my bumper.
I can understand that, adding some protection back there but I just wouldn’t want mine to be left sticking out like that because I’ve smacked my shin on a receiver hitch before and typically I just can’t stand it when somebody leaves a unused receiver hitch in there just because it’s so easy to smack your shin on it, especially when they back into a parking space. lol.

No corrosion problems, but I’m south florida so no salt other than at the boat ramp.

Well, that’s now two people with two different brands of aluminum drop hitches that have said they don’t have a corrosion problem so, that’s real good to hear. You may not have salt on the roads from having to deal with it in the winter time but I would think that because of the salty air down there because you’re so close to the ocean, that that would still cause you to have somewhat of a corrosion problem being that you’ve got aluminum that’s right next to steel.

Never notice a rattle and a little of rubber or tape can easily fix that.
B&W sells a thick rubber pad with a square hole in it that slides over the shank before you put it in the tube thats supposed to help with rattle but I really like the idea of the u-bolt type of hitch clamp.

I have the locks from andersen and they work great but they are only gonna keep the honest people honest. If someone wants it and has a grinder and some time its theirs.
That’s true. For the most part, all that stuff is really only going to keep the honest people honest. Did you watch that video I posted where that guy talked about how easy the lock cylinder mechanism on the end of a typical locking hitch pin can be very easily busted off with a piece of pipe slid over the end of it, from that little groove on the end of the pin that the cylinder lock latches onto?

That’s why if I was ever to leave my hitch in the receiver tube that I’d probably have one of those locking pins with hitch clamp because even if they saw through, or break the end of the pin off, they’re still gonna have to be packing an end-wrench or socket wrench just to remove the clamp so they can slide the hutch out. That’s what I liked about that silent pin with the B&W hitch was that if that was coupled up a hitch clamp, they’d have to one, break the locking end of the pin off, then use one size of wrench/socket to unbolt the other side of the pin, then 3, they’d have to use another wrench/socket size to pull the clamp on the front of the hitch before they could take it.

B&W is quality too and would have been my second choice, Im not sold on the weigh safe as to me it would be great for a contractor that was loading up trailers with different stuff all the time, but Im not so no need for a scale.View attachment 171820
I’m just curious but, why did you choose the Anderson hitch over the BW hitch? I myself don’t think I’d really get a whole lot of use out of the tongue scale system on that particular model of the Weigh-Safe but just because it’s there it doesn’t mean you have to use it.

I don’t know, my thoughts, ideas and opinions are always subject to change at any given time but as of right now, if I went with one of those aluminum drop hitches, it would probably most likely be that weigh safe strictly because of the fact that it’s always flat on the bottom. And yeah, you can have that option with the B&W hitch but that’s only if it’s the hitch that has all three sizes, and that you’re using whatever ball it is that leaves the two on each side, rather than below it.

7091ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
70 and 91 and 99
Engine
383 and Cummins and 360

This type of problem is caused by the ball not being tight as can be seen by the wear pattern visible on the part of the hitch you can see the very bottom of it shows a shoulder where the shaft of the ball worked back and forth.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This type of problem is caused by the ball not being tight as can be seen by the wear pattern visible on the part of the hitch you can see the very bottom of it shows a shoulder where the shaft of the ball worked back and forth.

I see what you’re saying about the part of the hitch that’s still bolted to the ball, looking like the hole might not be round anymore but to me, it looks like there’s even a grove worn into the front part of the ball shank hole where my arrows are pointing, that mighta been made from the top flange of the ball. 0d477a95afe7e1b3b122222fcf00e7f0.jpg

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I know that would cause it but I don’t think I it looks loose in the picture. Do you mean using 3/4 inch shank ball in a 1 inch hole? That would certainly make sense as it would be hard on it.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I see what you’re saying about the part of the hitch that’s still bolted to the ball, looking like the hole might not be round anymore but to me, it looks like there’s even a grove worn into the front part of the ball shank hole where my arrows are pointing, that mighta been made from the top flange of the ball. 0d477a95afe7e1b3b122222fcf00e7f0.jpg

This is because the ball rusted and the aluminum didn’t.