Throttle Body Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I want to clean my TB but am not sure if I even need to? I just want to start doing more stuff to my truck and this seems like a good place to start, after my K&N CAI. What's the best way to clean it, I wouldn't wanna mess anything up. I saw TB cleaner spray at Pepoys, didn't buy it though bc I figured I'd wait and ask Ramforum :) are all sprays the same?

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
As long as the TB cleaner is not chlorinated you shouldn't have any problems. Chlorinated cleaner will damage the electronics.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as the TB cleaner is not chlorinated you shouldn't have any problems. Chlorinated cleaner will damage the electronics.

He can use reg throttle body cleaner on his 4.7 throttle body.

First thing to do is disconnect the battery

Anyway, disconnect the throttle body linkage, disconnect the throttle position sensor and the idle air control valve.

you'll wanna remove the throttle position sensor and set it aside, then remove the idle air control valve and set it aside.

Remove the throttle body from the intake, clean it, use a tooth brush for the really dirty spots, set it aside and let it dry.

Then clean the idle air control valve, I have a write up on how to do that in the DIY section.

Make sure everything is dry, reattach everything. reconnect the battery and done.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Alright thanks y'all! Ill read those DIY write ups :)

Notsobroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just cleaned my throttle body and IAC , they were filthy!!! I didn't notice any real change. I did see that there was some amount of wet oil. So i went ahead and did the pcv for cheap insurance.

Are people running open breathers on their engines?

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I bet mines filthy too, dont think its ever been done lol. I guess it's just good for the health of the truck :p

Notsobroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet mines filthy too, dont think its ever been done lol. I guess it's just good for the health of the truck :p

That's what i figured I only have 66k on mine but the service this truck saw before me was oil changes and basic stuff only. I know i usually bypass the breather but was wondering if they have catch cans for these 4.7 trucks

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what i figured I only have 66k on mine but the service this truck saw before me was oil changes and basic stuff only. I know i usually bypass the breather but was wondering if they have catch cans for these 4.7 trucks

Yeah there is, but I'll have to get the parts list from my friend. You need to purchase a new oil fill spout without the PCV nipple, then run it some funky way...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Docbull