Throttlebody gunked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed my new s&b intake yeaterday. I noticed my throttle body was pretty dirty so I pulled it to clean in. Was so caked up with carbon deposits, it looked like the butterfly wouldnt even close all the way. Got it about 98% clean. More to my concern are the deposits in my intake manifold? Not entirely sure what this is specifically called, (sorry). Just know that it doesnt look good. Was leary about trying to clean it out. Catch can is on order now, hoping that will help. But what do you guys recommend I do to clean this up? Also, is this common? Or do I have a problem somewhere I should be looking into? Truck has ~74,000 miles on it. Thanks for the help!

20180212_155928.jpg

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
After almost 80,000 miles with no cleanings you will see that. I wouldn’t worry about it, doesn’t sound out of the ordinary to me. I have always done regular TB cleanings on most of my vehicles and even after 20-30k miles they get gunky. Catch can will help on the 5.7. When off, the butterfly doesn’t sit flush regardless of build up, see pic of my 6.4. That is normal.

xZxlc9q.jpg

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's why a catch can makes sense and makes all the negative Nancys look 'tupid.

Seafoam makes a spray applicator can. You cynch the provided hose under your CAI tube into the TB and install the CAI tube again. While someone else keeps your rpms up you spray the entire can in through your TB.
Seafoam dissolves all that crap in the intake and the stuff you can't see gunking up your intake valves.

Blows great clouds of billowing gray exhaust until done--freaks the wife and neighbors too :naughty: .

boomstick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
take the throttle body off clean it with throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush and yes a catch can will help. then get some seafoam and follow the directions on the can for fogging the system. then you might want to check the plugs. id run redline, seafoam or b-12 chemtool fuel treatment every oil change after that just for good measure

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
take the throttle body off clean it with throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush and yes a catch can will help. then get some seafoam and follow the directions on the can for fogging the system. then you might want to check the plugs. id run redline, seafoam or b-12 chemtool fuel treatment every oil change after that just for good measure

Clean it yes, but not with TB cleaner. Use non-chlorinated brake cleaner--carefully. You do not want liquid to enter the TB and in particular you don't want liquid to carry contaminants into either the mechanical pivot points, or the circuitry where it can dry and leave a conductive residue behind--no bueno. Spray Seafoam intake treatment? Absolutely.

CBTBOB

U.S. Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used Seafoam TB cleaner and it does a great job on all of my vehicles. Also pour a can of Seafoam fuel treatment in the tank every oil change.

boomstick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clean it yes, but not with TB cleaner. Use non-chlorinated brake cleaner--carefully. You do not want liquid to enter the TB and in particular you don't want liquid to carry contaminants into either the mechanical pivot points, or the circuitry where it can dry and leave a conductive residue behind--no bueno. Spray Seafoam intake treatment? Absolutely.
why would you not use throttle body cleaner since thats what its made for? it doesnt affect electrical components . not saying brake cleaner doesnt work

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Way too many reports of TB cleaner causing issues. Both on RF and other forums for other FCA products.

Brake Cleaner has more Methanol and less Toluene or Acetone than TB Cleaner (per the data sheets).
Toluene is a colorless, water-insoluble liquid with the smell associated with paint thinners. It is a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH₃ group attached to a phenyl group.
Acetone is a colorless, volatile, flammable liquid, and is the simplest ketone.

I'm not a chemist, but according to volumes of forum and internet gab, either of these could leave a residue behind if left in sufficient quantities.

Since the brake cleaner has much less of them, it would seem the parts cleaned with these would have far less of a chance of having a residue.

Last edited:

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Clean it yes, but not with TB cleaner. Use non-chlorinated brake cleaner--carefully. ...

I do this as well, but pull the TB off completely beforehand, inspect and reinstall.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
One other bit of motherhood: The intake manifold is plastic. Get a good seat, but don't go gorilla when tightening or you'll be shopping for helix coils to fix striped threads.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Btw, I would get my CC from Moe's. Very reputable vendor on the forum.

boomstick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Way too many reports of TB cleaner causing issues. Both on RF and other forums for other FCA products.

Brake Cleaner has more Methanol and less Toluene or Acetone than TB Cleaner (per the data sheets).
Toluene is a colorless, water-insoluble liquid with the smell associated with paint thinners. It is a mono-substituted benzene derivative, consisting of a CH₃ group attached to a phenyl group.
Acetone is a colorless, volatile, flammable liquid, and is the simplest ketone.

I'm not a chemist, but according to volumes of forum and internet gab, either of these could leave a residue behind if left in sufficient quantities.

Since the brake cleaner has much less of them, it would seem the parts cleaned with these would have far less of a chance of having a residue.
thats a whole bunch of explaining you did there

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I aim to be factual in my comments, and have the documentation to throw down if asked.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am curious to see your results after the same miles with a CC on. I am leaning towards it would be the same.

OP
OP
S

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am curious to see your results after the same miles with a CC on. I am leaning towards it would be the same.
I'll post results at the 150,000 mile mark. Stay tuned:D

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
xxxxx
Nope. CC keeps the oil and combustion blow-by out of the TB and intake. You can't have the same result, all that yiltch is from PCV sputum which a CC captures.