Tie Rod seperated....Help Please!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

driftGodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I have a 2003 Dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive. About a week ago I was backing out of a parking space when suddenly the steering stopped responding Jumped out of the truck and looked underneath and found that the driver's side tie rod had seperated at the jam nut...by seperated I mean it was like the inner and outer tie rod somehow unscrewed from each other And we're both attached to their corresponding ends the outer to the wheel and the inner to the rack. Upon inspection I found the threading to be kind of rusty but no visible failure to either side of the threads. I replaced the outer tie rod end Which threaded back on as it should and did as best an alignment As someone who'd never done one before or have ever used a cross point laser before either could. Since I have done that the steering doesn't seem right I get a pretty good vibration when hitting the brakes and to be honest just have the heebie jeebies about driving in general my path to work involves some pretty good size mountains or an insanely Which is extremely busy Hours of Internet searching for similar situations has been fruitless. Any helpful info would be appreciated more than you know.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
A shudder\vibration when braking is usually caused by the brake rotors, not 100%, but would be the very first thing I'd look at. Do you feel it in the steering wheel or the body of the truck?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Not trying to be rude but this is a very serious safety issue and you do not demonstrate adequate knowledge to fix this yourself. Take it into a quality shop and get it fixed right before you kill yourself or someone else.

OP
OP
D

driftGodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Update....I had taken to the shop before I wrote anything on this forum matter of fact I took it to five none of them said they could find anything wrong with it so I continue to drive it fixing things along the way new front brakes rotors new ball joints passenger front new U-joints. I figured I would notice visible where somewhere that would point me to where it was ended up being the rack and pinion bushings were bad which was the exact thing I stated to each mechanic in the beginning was my concern. Not trying to be rude but you were rude for saying that I need to take it to somebody to rip me off or lie to me because they don't feel like spending the proper time to diagnose my vehicle that's what forums like this are here for. If I was not smart and had no mechanical knowledge well then maybe I would drive a Ford. Just saying that if your mechanically inclined and don't losing your mind once or twice trying to figure things out LOL then you can do a lot of stuff on your own I was never unsafe matter of fact spent many a nights without way too late because I drove home way too slow to make sure nothing happened to anybody else on the road

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Update....I had taken to the shop before I wrote anything on this forum matter of fact I took it to five none of them said they could find anything wrong with it so I continue to drive it fixing things along the way new front brakes rotors new ball joints passenger front new U-joints. I figured I would notice visible where somewhere that would point me to where it was ended up being the rack and pinion bushings were bad which was the exact thing I stated to each mechanic in the beginning was my concern. Not trying to be rude but you were rude for saying that I need to take it to somebody to rip me off or lie to me because they don't feel like spending the proper time to diagnose my vehicle that's what forums like this are here for. If I was not smart and had no mechanical knowledge well then maybe I would drive a Ford. Just saying that if your mechanically inclined and don't losing your mind once or twice trying to figure things out LOL then you can do a lot of stuff on your own I was never unsafe matter of fact spent many a nights without way too late because I drove home way too slow to make sure nothing happened to anybody else on the road

Nice to see you didn't take offence to a legitimate comment :rolleyes:.

You mentioned in your first comment several times about doing the best you could despite never doing any of it before....when it comes to steering systems that doesn't exactly inspire confidence for the rest of us.