Timber Grove on a 4/6 or 5/7 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rlampman

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an update. Been talking with Steve at Timbergrove. Great guy and makes quality stuff. I bought a set of rear bags from him. I did the lower mount (he said 5/8" lower than the 6" drop mount) with the 5k bags instead of the 6k bags he has been doing. I went with the smaller bags hopping that they would ride better with lower air. I am mostly looking for better ride empty. I do tow occasionally but not enough weight to need the larger bags. He said he could make the upper mount with different hardware and drop another 1/8". Not much but I would take it right now. May be able to run lower without getting out of the sweet spot of the bags.

Really happy so far. Much better than the bell springs cut to get my 7" drop in the rear. If I stay at about 7" drop it rides good. If I air down to 7.5" it gets out of the sweet spot of the bags and less clearance. Rides REALLY bouncy and bottoms a lot! I have my Viking shocks in the rear set at 3/8 right now and I like the ride. It's different, firmer but not as harsh, with less bounce. Wouldn't say it rides like a luxury car but it is better than I've had with this truck even before lowering and NO bottoming in the rear.

I am just using the bags with no on-board compressor right now. Trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on front RideTech bags or just stay with the rear. That will change what I do for air control. If I do the front I will go full control so I can drop it down when parked. If just the rear I will go with Timbergrove air system.

I went back to my Monroe Reflex shocks in the front to try and get a better ride there. Only one trip to work on them but so far better than I could get with the Vikings up front. Jury is still out on the front.

Rod

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update. Been talking with Steve at Timbergrove. Great guy and makes quality stuff. I bought a set of rear bags from him. I did the lower mount (he said 5/8" lower than the 6" drop mount) with the 5k bags instead of the 6k bags he has been doing. I went with the smaller bags hopping that they would ride better with lower air. I am mostly looking for better ride empty. I do tow occasionally but not enough weight to need the larger bags. He said he could make the upper mount with different hardware and drop another 1/8". Not much but I would take it right now. May be able to run lower without getting out of the sweet spot of the bags.

Really happy so far. Much better than the bell springs cut to get my 7" drop in the rear. If I stay at about 7" drop it rides good. If I air down to 7.5" it gets out of the sweet spot of the bags and less clearance. Rides REALLY bouncy and bottoms a lot! I have my Viking shocks in the rear set at 3/8 right now and I like the ride. It's different, firmer but not as harsh, with less bounce. Wouldn't say it rides like a luxury car but it is better than I've had with this truck even before lowering and NO bottoming in the rear.

I am just using the bags with no on-board compressor right now. Trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on front RideTech bags or just stay with the rear. That will change what I do for air control. If I do the front I will go full control so I can drop it down when parked. If just the rear I will go with Timbergrove air system.

I went back to my Monroe Reflex shocks in the front to try and get a better ride there. Only one trip to work on them but so far better than I could get with the Vikings up front. Jury is still out on the front.

Rod
Keep those updates coming! I really want to see one on full air ride (other than the factory set up)

OP
OP
rlampman

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep those updates coming! I really want to see one on full air ride (other than the factory set up)
Yeah, wanted to do this for a while but the price tag made me wait. Surprised I can't find any reviews other than a 2009 article from Truck Trend on the Ride Tech shock wave for these trucks. Makes me hesitant there is a reason. Now that I have the rear bags I'm closer but not sure about the front. If anyone has them please let me know!

1badws6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Rod
I just ordered the 6" CRM for my 2019 4x4, they should be here today. I currently have the Maxtrac 2/4 and even with the helper bags I think pulling my boat will be an issue.

My plan is to get IHC arms for the front with the TG bags in back for a 3/5 that rides nice and can tow my boat without bottoming out.

So for the rear bags, you just have a Schrader valve and air up with a compressor? I was planning on doing the same to make sure this combo works out before buying any air management.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just ordered the 6" CRM for my 2019 4x4, they should be here today. I currently have the Maxtrac 2/4 and even with the helper bags I think pulling my boat will be an issue.

My plan is to get IHC arms for the front with the TG bags in back for a 3/5 that rides nice and can tow my boat without bottoming out.

So for the rear bags, you just have a Schrader valve and air up with a compressor? I was planning on doing the same to make sure this combo works out before buying any air management.

You will have two valves, one for each bag.

drprymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Best option would be to get a tank and an onboard compressor with 4 valves 1 dump and 1 fill for each bag that way you can level it out when it airs up. Its not the cheapest set up but it gives you the most control.

OP
OP
rlampman

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yes, two Schrader valves for now, one each side. I'm waiting to decide if I go with front bags before I get an air system. Working fine for now. I had the helper bags in the coils before and they changed so much with the temperature keeping them at low pressure was hard. These bags are more stable but I still want to get an air system soon.

1badws6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought they ran a T in the air line to one schrader valve … wouldn't that be self equalizing from left to right?
You have to plumb them with separate lines. If they are plumbed with a T, the air can transfer back and forth which is not good. If you made a left turn with a load in the bed, all the air would be pushed out of the right bag and added to the left. Things could get sketchy real quick.

My plan was to just use 2 Schrader valves and then buy a digital air chuck. Set the pressure you want and hit the trigger. Once I make sure this combo will work well, then I'll buy the air management system. When I spoke to Jim at Timber Grove, he said the compressor that comes with the $400 air lift kit isn't really made for the duty cycle that you would need. So unfortunately, you have to spend more than that for a good system.

OP
OP
rlampman

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought they ran a T in the air line to one schrader valve … wouldn't that be self equalizing from left to right?
Yes it would be self equalizing but that's not what you want. the driver side has more weight especially with a full tank. you need different spring rates so separate valves. the lower you go the more obvious it is at the fender gap