Timber Grove on a 4/6 or 5/7 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know they make rear bags for a 6 in drop but has anyone used them with a 5/7 drop? If so how is the ride unloaded? I have seen many great comments but know one with a lowered truck and no comments on how it rides empty.

I have an IHR 4/6 but lowered to about 4.5/7. Not real happy with the Durango Airlift 1000's. They are too tall for the spring this short. They work great when I have a load or tow. If I air them up to 5 lbs the ride is harder than with no air but they do keep from bottoming out. Was thinking about the Timber Grove bags. Hoping to get a better ride when unloaded and still have the load to tow and haul.

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know they make rear bags for a 6 in drop but has anyone used them with a 5/7 drop? If so how is the ride unloaded? I have seen many great comments but know one with a lowered truck and no comments on how it rides empty.

I have an IHR 4/6 but lowered to about 4.5/7. Not real happy with the Durango Airlift 1000's. They are too tall for the spring this short. They work great when I have a load or tow. If I air them up to 5 lbs the ride is harder than with no air but they do keep from bottoming out. Was thinking about the Timber Grove bags. Hoping to get a better ride when unloaded and still have the load to tow and haul.
I have the timber grove 6" drop crm lowered to about 7. I have the viking double adjustable shocks and had to set the a little firmer but it rides great. I can't pull my 9k# RV with it this low so I raise it a bit when I tow.
a63a5e6b13aa0c1ee80e6c8466abbf01.jpg87dcceb7724999e65061a38ff956a131.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rlampman

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the timber grove 6" drop crm lowered to about 7. I have the viking double adjustable shocks and had to set the a little firmer but it rides great. I can't pull my 9k# RV with it this low so I raise it a bit when I tow.

Your trucks looks great! Did you have to do anything to have it ride lower or just less air? What are you using for air, Timber Grove auto level? Also what do you have your Viking shocks set to? I have them already. Did you lower your truck with the air bags or did you have it lowered with coil springs first? Wondered if you have something to compare the ride to. Thanks for the info.
Rod

Last edited:

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your trucks looks great! Did you have to do anything to have it ride lower or just less air? What are you using for air, Timber Grove auto level? Also what do you have your Viking shocks set to? I have them already. Did you lower your truck with the air bags or did you have it lowered with coil springs first? Wondered if you have something to compare the ride to. Thanks for the info.
Rod
I started with springs and air lift 1000. I did not like the ride as it was bouncy and bottomed out. I went with the auto level compressor system. It was expensive but worth the price. I just made a second set of links that are a little longer for towing. The shocks have the best ride at 4/8. I prefer mine at 6/10 or even 8/12 when fully loaded.

OP
OP
rlampman

rlampman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I started with springs and air lift 1000. I did not like the ride as it was bouncy and bottomed out. I went with the auto level compressor system. It was expensive but worth the price. I just made a second set of links that are a little longer for towing. The shocks have the best ride at 4/8. I prefer mine at 6/10 or even 8/12 when fully loaded.

Thanks, that helps a lot! I think I'm in the same boat. I'm running my rear shocks at 3/7 now so not far off. Sounds like I need to give Timber Grove a call.
BTW, what size tires are you running? I'm running 285/50-20's and yours looks much lower. Maybe 265/50 or 22's? Here is mine.
20200110_110920_zpsossff0gw.jpg

Last edited:

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, that helps a lot! I think I'm in the same boat. I'm running my rear shocks at 3/7 now so not far off. Sounds like I need to give Timber Grove a call.
BTW, what size tires are you running? I'm running 285/50-20's and yours looks much lower. Maybe 265/50 or 22's? Here is mine.
20200110_110920_zpsossff0gw.jpg
I'm running 285/45/22 but will be going to 285/40/22 next set

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I talked to Steve at Timbergrove last week about making a 7" drop rear bag set. He said going down one more inch would be ok, he could make it for us if needed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I talked to Steve at Timbergrove last week about making a 7" drop rear bag set. He said going down one more inch would be ok, he could make it for us if needed.

What are you doing for frame clearance. 7 inches doesn't allow for much travel before you start hitting the frame.Any of the trucks I've seen on facebook that are lower then 6" usually are notching the frame.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What are you doing for frame clearance. 7 inches doesn't allow for much travel before you start hitting the frame.Any of the trucks I've seen on facebook that are lower then 6" usually are notching the frame.

7 Inches is the max you can go and still have enough travel to drive normally. You need to remove the factory bump stops and brackets completely then install a new bump stop on the factory air bag perch. If you talk to the guy at IHC he will tell you the same.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
7 Inches is the max you can go and still have enough travel to drive normally. You need to remove the factory bump stops and brackets completely then install a new bump stop on the factory air bag perch. If you talk to the guy at IHC he will tell you the same.

Keep us updated on how you make out then,as i'm a bit curious to see if they are right about still having enough travel to have a decent ride.

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drive normal? These people have obviously not driven on roads in Orlando.....especially I-4. I have to drive so slow I create a road hazard. And I still constantly rub in the front. I'm wearing holes in my fender liners.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Drive normal? These people have obviously not driven on roads in Orlando.....especially I-4. I have to drive so slow I create a road hazard. And I still constantly rub in the front. I'm wearing holes in my fender liners.

Thats crazy! Maybe you need to bring that truck up a bit or run a taller tire? Maybe even run a stronger shock? I have 285/45/22 Nitto on mine now with a 3/5 drop, I hit the wheel wells up front daily, the back is fine.

drprymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I-4 with a 5/7 is a trip man! My inner fenders are worn fully through.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No biggie, Its only plastic! Just a another part of living low!

There is one connector and harness behind the drivers side wheel that has been known to take a bit of a **** kicking to.Been a couple reports of guys wearing through the wiring ,so make sure you check it occasionally

drprymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is one connector and harness behind the drivers side wheel that has been known to take a bit of a **** kicking to.Been a couple reports of guys wearing through the wiring ,so make sure you check it occasionally

Funny thing is yesterday i had to cut more of the liner away since it was dragging on the tire and i found said harness

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see the need with the TG air bags. I just run less pressure in the bags for a 7 inch drop. As long as you have the viking shocks. I just stiffened up the shocks to make up for it. The only time I bottom out on the fear is when I take rough RR tracks too fast. The front is a different story. I am constantly rubbing in the front at 5" drop with passengers in the truck. I also have the TG compressor system mounted in the front which added weight to the front.

MCMLXIX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI R/T
I like the idea of being able to adjust the rear ride height. I was thinking of 2/4 with Belltech spring kit but I may just piece something together with TG CRM rear bags, front drop springs and some Viking shocks. I was looking or more of a sport truck feel than to be able to tow with it... I think my ultimate goal would be 3/5 drop at most. I was also thinking I need a bigger rear sway bar.

MCMLXIX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI R/T

Your truck is on the TG website ….