Tinted tail lights legal or not??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dakota_james11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been pondering tinting my taillights, however I know they can say they are too dark and it depends on the cop, but underneath the tailgate I have separate turn signals for each side (1"x2") three in the middle (same size) and also on my bed corners, all light up brighter when I press the brake and flash when my turn signals are on, I know they can say by "direct observation" they can give me a ticket but is the physical brightness enough to get one signed off?? If I leave a strip of red across the light will it protect me more?? Just want your feedback thank you!!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The light has to be visible in day light from a certain distance here in PA
They also have to be able to see the reflector

Ram4.7L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im in NJ and I used vht nightshade on mine I did on coat and a couple clear coats. I left the reverse lights untinted and the cops don't bother me at all.

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it's state to state regulation regarding tinted tails.

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whether legal in your state or not, if you get rear ended... a crafty lawyer will improve the odds of the person who hit you, not having to eat all the blame.

just my .02

mocaby73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Im in Illinois been pulled over by state police. Never said anything about mine.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,412

RAMWarrior1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In Texas it'd be illegal. Same as tinted headlamps.

Depending on if you're in Texas or not, this should answer your question:

Any device that impairs the required effectiveness of headlamps, tail lamps, reflectors, etc is prohibited. The lights, both front and rear, are made by the manufacturer to meet this safety standard. An alternate or additional material, particularly something dark, would impair its effectiveness. Additional information on lighting can be found in the Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 547, Subchapters D & E.

The inspection criteria for tail lamps states: "Tail lamp. Inspect and reject if: lamp is obstructed by any part of the body."

Stop Lamps:
All motor vehicles are required to have at least two (2) stop lamps, unless vehicle was manufactured prior to 1960, in which case it is required to be equipped with one (1).
A stop lamp must emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber.
A stop lamp must be visible from a distance of not less than 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight.
The stop lamp shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and may be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.
Stop lamp lens must be of a type meeting Department of Public Safety standards.

Tail Lamp:
Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps, unless vehicle was manufactured prior to 1960, in which case your vehicle is required to be equipped with one (1) tail lamp mounted on the rear which, when illuminated, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear.

namccanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I haven't had any issues in Wisconsin..... yet.

picture.php

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've had a police office tell me that he won't ticket for that, but that if you get read ended, he will assign fault to the person with tuned tail lights.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jbaker72157

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Illegal in Arkansas. Used to be legal as long as clearly visible red light from xxxft but in August the law changed to no light can have a cover or coating that diminishes factory light output.

**Edit, don't know much this is being enforced though**

Barracuda556

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here in ohio I got a warning and told to remove my tint. They said it needs to have the reflectors in the light housing be visible at 500ft. I just bought new oem replica lights off eBay and I won't be tinting again.