TIPM or CAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgoetz1182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Purchased a PreOwned 2011 Ram 1500 5.7L and currently had sluggish shifting then hopping/jumping. Pulled over, off then on, seemed to reset but occurred again when I got on it! This is my first Ram and learning about many common issues. FYI: I’m no mechanic, still learning.

Mechanic 1 shows codes P0305: Cyl 5 misfire. P1524: oil pressure. P0521: oil pressure sensor. Says I need a new Cam, found Cyl 5 valve remaining open then possibly shuts off when I turn truck on/off. Removed D/S valve cover to check Cam. Cam Shaft & Lifters: $3400

Mechanic 2 says truck was dead in AM, found fuel pump constantly running, intermittent. Troubleshooting leads him to replace TIPM, alternator and battery. Says poor voltage can affect proper valve closing? Quoted $3400+(found that 2011 TIPM has fuel pump relay soldered on back of TIPM unlike newer models)

Again, I’m no mechanic but one problem and 2 pro shops give me 2 potential reasons. And no, extended warranty does cover anything here! Between YouTube and Forums, CAMS are an issue and TIPM’s are Fkn expensive!!!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there are companies that "rebuild" TIPM in the $500 range

google is your friend and some offer "next day" service and for more cash rebuilt units for sale with a core return of yours

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Purchased a PreOwned 2011 Ram 1500 5.7L and currently had sluggish shifting then hopping/jumping. Pulled over, off then on, seemed to reset but occurred again when I got on it! This is my first Ram and learning about many common issues. FYI: I’m no mechanic, still learning.

Mechanic 1 shows codes P0305: Cyl 5 misfire. P1524: oil pressure. P0521: oil pressure sensor. Says I need a new Cam, found Cyl 5 valve remaining open then possibly shuts off when I turn truck on/off. Removed D/S valve cover to check Cam. Cam Shaft & Lifters: $3400

Mechanic 2 says truck was dead in AM, found fuel pump constantly running, intermittent. Troubleshooting leads him to replace TIPM, alternator and battery. Says poor voltage can affect proper valve closing? Quoted $3400+(found that 2011 TIPM has fuel pump relay soldered on back of TIPM unlike newer models)

Again, I’m no mechanic but one problem and 2 pro shops give me 2 potential reasons. And no, extended warranty does cover anything here! Between YouTube and Forums, CAMS are an issue and TIPM’s are Fkn expensive!!!! Haha

Hi bgoetz1182, We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your RAM dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support.
Rob
RamCares

OP
OP
B

bgoetz1182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi bgoetz1182, We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your RAM dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support.
Rob
RamCares

After 3 professional mechanics, I’m told I need a new cam shaft and they recommend going for a new engine. Replacing the cam shaft would be a temporary bandaid and I’ll have the same issue in a few months.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
After 3 professional mechanics, I’m told I need a new cam shaft and they recommend going for a new engine. Replacing the cam shaft would be a temporary bandaid and I’ll have the same issue in a few months.

Hi bgoetz1182, Thanks for following up with us. I completely understand your concerns; to clarify, have you had a chance to have your concerns formally diagnosed by an authorized RAM dealer?
Rob
RamCares

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I would not replace the long block (motor) for a cam issue. If the block, crank, rods and pistons are in good shape as well as the cylinder heads I would replace the cam and lifters and be done. Go with a nice aftermarket cam and lifters set and delete the MDS. Pick up a tuner that is capable of custom tuning and also has the MDS delete capability.

If your truck really needs a motor I would get specific answers as to what is wrong. Did the cam cause damage to the block, crank, rods or pistons? Is a cylinder head damaged? These are questions I would be asking.

Ted B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ted B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wanted to add that the truck is one owner and looks like he took very good care of interior, body not a scratch. Could of been painted I guess. Has most maintenance records. But he had to know something was wrong. He said engine light was not on. Thank you group. I am new here. Just want to share and help where I can.

Last edited:

Ted B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just test drove 2011 2500. Told owner of the same symptoms. He took it to mechanic and cam shaft replacement necessary. Been in shop 3 weeks so far. Cost $3500. Glad it was noticed during test drive. Says if I want it still instead of 8900 he is asking 9900. Has 135k on it. He will let me take it for a couple days to test. I am taking it to my own mechanic. I think 9900 is fair. If it runs right. Of course. Body, Interior and overall appearance of engine is mint.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That is is a good seller. He knows something is wrong with the truck and is going to have it repaired. Along with that the seller is offering you a discounted price. Kudos for him taking the responsibility instead of telling you to pound sand.

If the body and interior are in excellent shape then his offer of $8900 is a great price compared to what trucks are selling for in Texas.

OP
OP
B

bgoetz1182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I would not replace the long block (motor) for a cam issue. If the block, crank, rods and pistons are in good shape as well as the cylinder heads I would replace the cam and lifters and be done. Go with a nice aftermarket cam and lifters set and delete the MDS. Pick up a tuner that is capable of custom tuning and also has the MDS delete capability.

If your truck really needs a motor I would get specific answers as to what is wrong. Did the cam cause damage to the block, crank, rods or pistons? Is a cylinder head damaged? These are questions I would be asking.

So as of right now, my trucks being repaired. Replacing the CamShaft I bought from Ram, lifters, timing chain kit, new head bolts, all gaskets/upper install kit, oil pan gasket, cases of oil for filtering/flushing engine, luckily we didn’t find much of any metal shavings.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So as of right now, my trucks being repaired. Replacing the CamShaft I bought from Ram, lifters, timing chain kit, new head bolts, all gaskets/upper install kit, oil pan gasket, cases of oil for filtering/flushing engine, luckily we didn’t find much of any metal shavings.

Cool man. I didn't see any reason to spend any more money on replacing the short/long block if you didn't have to. Let us know how it goes.