Tire Cleaning ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
A stupid question !
But you pro's know a lot !
What do you use to clean your tires besides Soap and Water !
I know some of the tire cleaners may damage a tire over time!
I used a foam spray tire cleaner once years ago and noticed the foam turning brown like it was bleaching the dye out of the tire !
So what cleaner does not break down the rubber and makes them look good ?

Thank You

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Tried this once and it did work. google it Pledge furniture polish on tires

zrock

Reaction score
Soap and water and a good tire brush, i hate tire dressings since you don't buy tires with a high gloss, once and a while i will use Armorall tire cleaner if i cannot get the tires clean works pretty good and leaves the tires looking natural. ... I use chemical guys on the rims and that is the best cleaner i have used its not harsh like alot of them out their that will eat your alum if left on to long.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
ZEP degreaser diluted ... been cleaning my tires like that for years and years .... and now that I was introduced to 303 aerospace protectant I use that on it instead of any tire dressing ... my tires are always clean and easy to maintain ...

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Since I live on a gravel/dirt road, no polish or tire dressing, for me. As I leave the dirt for the pavement, I just use centrifugal force of the 6.4 to remove the dust and fling gravel from the AT Coopers very environmentally friendly, no chemicals or special tools required, might even run orer a rattlesnake, ( just like Doritos...they make more. trust me I know)

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I also go bare (I jokingly said bare-b*ck and it got asteriked to death)....Anyway, I clean them with soap and water - no dressing. I stopped years ago after using tire gel on my BFG's and like you said, they turned sort of brown. I swore it off since then.
I keep the truck clean and waxed - especially after it does some work, but I've learned not to need that showroom shine on the tires.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I also go bare (I jokingly said bare-b*ck and it got asteriked to death)....Anyway, I clean them with soap and water - no dressing. I stopped years ago after using tire gel on my BFG's and like you said, they turned sort of brown. I swore it off since then.
I keep the truck clean and waxed - especially after it does some work, but I've learned not to need that showroom shine on the tires.
Yeah I don't use tire shine on mine unless I am going out to a show or something, I actually like clean no shine look on tires and the Nitto Ridge Grapplers have one of the better looking rubbers on a tire same as the Toyos, they don't look grey or faded ...

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
Best **** you'll ever buy is Maguires Ultimate Wheel and Rim cleaner and a curved brush. I'm tellin ya you could eat off the tires after if you were so inclined. Then the Maguires purple tire shine gel. I will go over the tire with a clean rag after to soak up as much of the extra as possible. You can also find it at Harbor Freight for around $10 a pop. Usually get two full 4 tire cleanings from one. I swear by the stuff.

SixAddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I second the 303, also Adam’s tire and rubber cleaner. Both of these produce no shine, no slinging, no film or residue. Just that clean black rubber look.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Best **** you'll ever buy is Maguires Ultimate Wheel and Rim cleaner and a curved brush. I'm tellin ya you could eat off the tires after if you were so inclined. Then the Maguires purple tire shine gel. I will go over the tire with a clean rag after to soak up as much of the extra as possible. You can also find it at Harbor Freight for around $10 a pop. Usually get two full 4 tire cleanings from one. I swear by the stuff.
I love Meguiars products but the tire cleaner and shine I will never use on my truck, I don't even use it on my customer's vehicles for my mobile detail business ... I don't even use wheel acid cleaners as they can damage so many things from areas that need to stay lubricated to your wheel's finish ....

I tried many different cleaners and ZEP by far diluted properly is safe, won't stain or ruin your wheels and suspension parts .... if I don't do it to my truck I won't do it to my customer's vehicles simple as that and believe me when I tell you that stuff from chemical guys, adams, mastersons, renegade, they are all too pricey first of all and you can really damage things with them if not used properly .... hell even simple green is a much safer and inexpensive cleaner to use on tires and even wheels ....

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
I use soap and water with a scrub brush, dry, then I use Griots black satin. Looks like a brand new tire every time. No shiny purple goo. That gets everywhere.

Attachments

• 20220905_210821.jpg
    20220905_210821.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 2

Perforator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
A hot rodder’s secret:
Simple Green and a green Scotcbtite pad. Makes the tire look fresh off the rack, easy and doesn’t harm the tire. If you have raised white letters, it makes them extra clean and bright.

Penmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I scrub the tire with soap and water and a brush. After it's dry, I use Armorall Extreme Shield ceramic tire coating. Make sure you wipe the overspray off while it's still wet or it's a pain to get off. The product leaves a natural finish to the tire and last a long time. I applied it a couple months ago and it still looks great. No dust collecting either. https://www.armorall.com/product/extreme-shield-ceramic-tire-coating/

JNelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Simple Green and a good brush. The scotch brite pad is a good idea.

I use pledge in the fender wells to keep the shiny and clean up easier.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Simple Green and a good brush. The scotch brite pad is a good idea.

I use pledge in the fender wells to keep the shiny and clean up easier.
Used to use Pledge for a quick shine job on my motorcycles !
Works good and safe for paint!
My fathers father in law used it all the time on his car, And the paint looked great !
I have a gallon jug of Simple green, Good stuff never though of using on tires

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Simple Green actually rejuvenates rubber too.
The brown stuff you saw coming off was only dirt, the tires aren't dyed black.

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old thread, but thought I would add to it. I have put DuraShine Tire Dressing on two vehicles now. Its a pain to clean the tires before using it, I had to clean brand new tires 8 times each before coating. Once they were clean, I coated them with 5 coats of the dressing. They stay nice and shiney all the time. Just wash them with regular soap when washing truck now. I have done one touch up coat. Once they are cleaned and coated the initial time, you just have to wash with regular soap then coat once for touch up.