Tire Dressings That Are Good For the Arizona Desert Climate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
303 you have to buff? shine? for proper application.

The Meguires I'm looking at is spray and done.

There are some that you spray and wipe but nothing like 303
Where did you hear that? I've never buffed 303. I let dry and do its thing which is protect and shine.

I'm not so sure the others protect as well as 303. They may shine better but I'm not into shine.

I saw a test on an aged plastic black bumper where a 303 product didn't shine or last as long as a couple of products. One was an expensive ceramic product and the other was Chemical Guys TVD_108_16 Tire and Trim Gel which was reasonably priced. I plan to try the Chemical Guys on the aged back plastic and rubber areas. A Mequires product faired pretty well in the test but I don't remember which Meguire product was used.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
What do some of you detailing experts use as a tire dressing that is actually--tried and true--good for the rubber? Tires degrade quickly in the southern Arizona climate and I'd like to know which product would be best.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
This is what I use, works quite well even in the NE winters!!!
I use Adam's Polishes VRT (vinyl rubber trim) on my tires and use there handheld applicator.
Has Adam's reformulated the VTR? On Adam's website a reviewer wrote this in 2018:

"I liked the old version better. The one that actually repelled water. Like some of the other reviews have stated, this product does not last very long. I applied it one day, it rained the next and the product washed off the tires. This is another Adam's product that has been reformulated and the newer formula is nowhere near as good. If something's not broken, then don't fix it."

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
I use Griots Satin Black for my tires, about once every other month or so. Keeps the sidewalls looking brand new.

Works pretty well for the southern Nevada heat. Doesn't leave a gooey shine to pick all of the dust. From the road.

4 wheeling, the dusty dirt washes off easily after being on the mountain or out in the desert.

Oreilly's stock it.

20230225_064739.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Carpro Perl. Hands down lasts forever and even in dirty climates and in the rain.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Carpro Perl. Hands down lasts forever and even in dirty climates and in the rain.
Thank you! Though the tires are brand new, I cleaned them first and when dry applied a conservative coat of Perl. I wonder how it will dry. After application is seems a little greasy. Perhaps overnight in our arid desert climate it will be dry in the morning.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
A bit of a disappointment. Not only is it greasy, it also eats away at the rubber. Just a short swipe of my finger and my finger is black. And, I had thoroughly cleaned the new tires before applying. A protective tire dressing should not do that.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I tried CarPro Perl and it was another disappointment. Not only is it greasy, it also eats away at the rubber. o_O Just a short swipe of my finger and my finger is BLACK. And, I had thoroughly cleaned the brand new tires before applying. A protective tire dressing SHOULD NOT do that.

Here's the thing: The brand new tires, even when swiped with a wet finger, does not show black on the finger, or even a rag. So, why does a tire dressing cause the black rubber to come off on my hand? The tire dressing does not have any black coloring in it.

Still hoping someone here knows of a tire dressing that is truly protective of the rubber.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check into Groit's Garage they make a Black Satin Tire Dressing, I'm going to give it a try looks promising!

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried heating the tires after the dressing is applied? Also tried buffing it down a bit, knocking down the glazed donut look? As a detailer, these two tips have never disappointed me or my customers. I also have never heard of Perl “eating” away at tires. What kind of tires are you running?

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Have you tried heating the tires after the dressing is applied? Also tried buffing it down a bit, knocking down the glazed donut look? As a detailer, these two tips have never disappointed me or my customers. I also have never heard of Perl “eating” away at tires. What kind of tires are you running?
Brand new Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD. If Perl is eating away at the tires, then why does my finger come out black with the Perl on them? Haven't heated or wiped/ buffed them down

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brand new Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD. If Perl is eating away at the tires, then why does my finger come out black with the Perl on them? Haven't heated or wiped/ buffed them down
I have heard before the solvents in tire shine, rather it be silicone or water soluble, mixes with the carbon black in tires which causes the black/brown residue.
I’ve never really questioned it, I go through tires well before they crack or brown.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried CarPro Perl and it was another disappointment. Not only is it greasy, it also eats away at the rubber. o_O Just a short swipe of my finger and my finger is BLACK. And, I had thoroughly cleaned the brand new tires before applying. A protective tire dressing SHOULD NOT do that.

Here's the thing: The brand new tires, even when swiped with a wet finger, does not show black on the finger, or even a rag. So, why does a tire dressing cause the black rubber to come off on my hand? The tire dressing does not have any black coloring in it.

Still hoping someone here knows of a tire dressing that is truly protective of the rubber.
Thats odd. I have never had it do that to me. What was your dilution ratio? There is also Decked out by Shine supply. Its a little less glossy.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Thats odd. I have never had it do that to me. What was your dilution ratio? There is also Decked out by Shine supply. Its a little less glossy.
Undiluted. I saw in a YouTube 1:1 w/ water and the water did not mix, but beaded out/ up on the tire.