Tire recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have any tire recommendations for my toy hauler/travel trailer? My size is 225/75r15 not looking to go to a larger rim.
I’m leaning toward the Maxxis m8008 or the Goodyear endurance.
The tires my trailer came with have a crack right under the tread going to the sidewall. More than likely from sitting in the same place too long. The trailer is only 2yrs old. But I know the tires they come with are cheap.

I definitely want to go to a higher weight rating than I have now “D”. Even though I’m normally about 1,000-1500lbs under the max rating for the tire.
Is a higher weight rating better for me??

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've got the same size tires on my 5th wheel and I think you may find you are maxed out with weight rating for that diameter - 15". Basically, to get a higher rating you'd have to go to a 16" tire.... and wheel and then maybe have fit issues. I did some research a while back and that is what I remember. I never did talk to a tire shop though so definitely check into it.

When you say 1000-1500# under rating is that per tire or total weight of the trailer? A higher weight rating is always nice but I'd take a higher quality tire closer to the weight rating as opposed to a "China Bomb" (slang for crappy Chinese tires that blow out easily) with a higher weight rating. At 2 years you might be able to collect some warranty. They generally don't have tread warranties like cars but should have some warranty against falling apart.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things by paying attention and knowing your weights (this puts you far ahead of about 95% of RVers). I'm at 4 years on my 5th wheel and am probably going to replace the tires just because of age. They are Karrier brand (I'm sure you've heard of them.... lol :)). They actually don't get terrible reviews but 4 years is plenty.

If you haven't already found them, there are a couple great RV message boards out there - rv.net and irv2.com

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly can't go wrong with a higher rating on a trailer tire as long as you're filling the tire to the appropriate psi after (it'll need to be higher than the psi your current tires run at to meet the weight carrying capacity you currently have). When we replace tires on trailers at our service shop we always upgrade them to load range E, the difference in price is negligible and a slightly bumpier ride in a trailer doesn't matter because you're not in it on the road!
We usually go with the WestLake brand, good bang for the buck and we've never had a problem with them after installing many of them over the past years. We have a line of trailers that come with the Goodyear Endurance tires from factory, they seem to be good tires and we've never had one blow out but they seem to crack between the treads more than others. Can't comment on the Maxxis.

When you get your new tires in load range E you'll need to do some math to figure out the proper PSI. Look at the data placard on the driver side and find your GAWR. Divide that number by two and you'll have the max load per tire on the trailer. Look on the tire sidewall and you'll have a rating that says something like "Max load 2800lbs at 80psi". Divide the max load (2800lbs in my example) by the max psi (80psi on a load range E tire) to get the lbs per psi for the tire, in this example it would be around 35.4. Say your trailer had 5000lbs axles, divided by two gives you 2500lbs per tire. Take the lbs per tire (2500lbs) and divide it by the lbs per psi (35.4) which will give you the psi you'll need to run the tire at to maintain the proper weight rating (this example comes out to 71psi). You could load them all the way up to 80psi if you really wanted but you would make the ride unnecessarily harsh and wear the tire more in the centre because it would be overinflated.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
We have a small travel trailer....I am on my second set of Maxxis 8008's. Great tires.....replaced last set due to age...not wear. Tires are "E" rated.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Honestly can't go wrong with a higher rating on a trailer tire as long as you're filling the tire to the appropriate psi after (it'll need to be higher than the psi your current tires run at to meet the weight carrying capacity you currently have). When we replace tires on trailers at our service shop we always upgrade them to load range E, the difference in price is negligible and a slightly bumpier ride in a trailer doesn't matter because you're not in it on the road!
We usually go with the WestLake brand, good bang for the buck and we've never had a problem with them after installing many of them over the past years. We have a line of trailers that come with the Goodyear Endurance tires from factory, they seem to be good tires and we've never had one blow out but they seem to crack between the treads more than others. Can't comment on the Maxxis.

When you get your new tires in load range E you'll need to do some math to figure out the proper PSI. Look at the data placard on the driver side and find your GAWR. Divide that number by two and you'll have the max load per tire on the trailer. Look on the tire sidewall and you'll have a rating that says something like "Max load 2800lbs at 80psi". Divide the max load (2800lbs in my example) by the max psi (80psi on a load range E tire) to get the lbs per psi for the tire, in this example it would be around 35.4. Say your trailer had 5000lbs axles, divided by two gives you 2500lbs per tire. Take the lbs per tire (2500lbs) and divide it by the lbs per psi (35.4) which will give you the psi you'll need to run the tire at to maintain the proper weight rating (this example comes out to 71psi). You could load them all the way up to 80psi if you really wanted but you would make the ride unnecessarily harsh and wear the tire more in the centre because it would be overinflated.

I was going to edit my reply (above yours) but wanted to thank you for the info.

I just checked and my rims are rated to 2830# each so I will bump up to E rating. I'm curious about your instructions to not over inflate, though. I don't really like the idea of running my tires at the bare minimum needed to carry the load. Does the over inflating (to near max) really wear the tread out? I run my truck tires at 80psi with a virtually empty bed as a daily driver for tens of thousands of miles and have never had my tires wear uneven in the least.

The rear axle on my truck when empty weighs about 2900# and I have tires inflated to max so 7280# combined (3640/tire).

The stock trailer tires are nearly maxed out on the 5th wheel - GVWR of the trailer is 12,000# - tires are 2540# each. +/- 20% goes to the pin so that leaves 2500# on each tire. It's always bugged me how close the manufacturer cuts it and gaining another 1160# collectively by upgrading to E rating is definitely going to happen. I'm just thankful the rims are rated for that (and this is a slight amendment to my previous post - with these 15" rims the most you can go is 2830# each. I now remember you can get a little bit more. Just not a lot. I was hoping for 3000#+ like my truck's tires just for lots of breathing room).

Anyway, the actual weight of the trailer the heaviest I've ever loaded it is about 11,500#. I don't think I've ever seen the trailer axles over 9000# so I'm doing okay. I'll feel a lot safer with better brand tires and a bit higher weight rating. No blowouts in nearly 4 years and I've been on some crappy gravel back roads. Definitely going to get new tires before my next trip out of any length.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to edit my reply (above yours) but wanted to thank you for the info.

I just checked and my rims are rated to 2830# each so I will bump up to E rating. I'm curious about your instructions to not over inflate, though. I don't really like the idea of running my tires at the bare minimum needed to carry the load. Does the over inflating (to near max) really wear the tread out? I run my truck tires at 80psi with a virtually empty bed as a daily driver for tens of thousands of miles and have never had my tires wear uneven in the least.

The rear axle on my truck when empty weighs about 2900# and I have tires inflated to max so 7280# combined (3640/tire).

The stock trailer tires are nearly maxed out on the 5th wheel - GVWR of the trailer is 12,000# - tires are 2540# each. +/- 20% goes to the pin so that leaves 2500# on each tire. It's always bugged me how close the manufacturer cuts it and gaining another 1160# collectively by upgrading to E rating is definitely going to happen. I'm just thankful the rims are rated for that (and this is a slight amendment to my previous post - with these 15" rims the most you can go is 2830# each. I now remember you can get a little bit more. Just not a lot. I was hoping for 3000#+ like my truck's tires just for lots of breathing room).

Anyway, the actual weight of the trailer the heaviest I've ever loaded it is about 11,500#. I don't think I've ever seen the trailer axles over 9000# so I'm doing okay. I'll feel a lot safer with better brand tires and a bit higher weight rating. No blowouts in nearly 4 years and I've been on some crappy gravel back roads. Definitely going to get new tires before my next trip out of any length.
Honestly unless you're dragging your trailer everywhere with you you'll probably never see an uneven wear pattern on them before they're due to be replaced due to age. The math I posted above is just what I do at work, to cover my own butt in case a customer does drag their trailer around enough to wear the tires weird or if they ask about it. Even if you inflate the tires higher you're not increasing the axle's capacity as there's more to it than that. The only reason I like upgrading load range is because it reduces the risk of a blowout. I just like doing things exact, I'm probably the only technician I've ever met who actually uses a torque wrench on the axle nuts and while replacing brakes! I do the same math on my truck tires (I run load range E on my half ton) and I tend to get around 130,000km on a set before they're worn down and they're always worn even.
I wouldn't worry too much about the manufacturers cutting the ratings so close on the trailers. You gotta remember that GVWR is a max rating, and it's a rating that you should realistically never get to. You can upgrade the tire all you want, but the leaf pack and bearings on the axle is still only rated at the GAWR. The only way you could get more wiggle room is to upgrade the axle as a whole, which honestly isn't that much more expensive than doing a brake/bearing/bushing service whenever you get to that point in your ownership. I just replaced the leafs and bushings on a trailer last week where the owner had overloaded it so much they warped the entire leaf pack.

20191202_145104.jpg

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mentioned above be aware of Manufacture date on tire because they can often age out before they wear out. Going SoCal to Northern Michigan I had a Goodyear blow out in New Mexico. Dual axle and never new it until I pulled into a Travel stop for the night in a Las Cruces. Tire changed and 1 mile up the road I bought 4 new tires. Lesson I learned was tires will often Age out before wear out. Good luck.

David
Northern Michigan

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have the 8008s on my 25’ Featherlite two axle car hauler and have had good luck thus far. Had a blowout and tread separations on the cheap tires it originally had.

The tires have carried around 7000# total from WA to LA, back to WA. WA to IA. IA to OK, back to IA. Then IA to Vegas.

Keep in mind majority (if not all) manufactures post load tables on their website. I use this to do what is referenced above (vary my psi based on the load...whether this has any significant advantage to extending tread wear; who knows.

I also added a TPMS system so I can monitor tire pressures (and temps) from cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have any tire recommendations for my toy hauler/travel trailer? My size is 225/75r15 not looking to go to a larger rim.
I’m leaning toward the Maxxis m8008 or the Goodyear endurance.
The tires my trailer came with have a crack right under the tread going to the sidewall. More than likely from sitting in the same place too long. The trailer is only 2yrs old. But I know the tires they come with are cheap.

I definitely want to go to a higher weight rating than I have now “D”. Even though I’m normally about 1,000-1500lbs under the max rating for the tire.
Is a higher weight rating better for me??
Bridgestone Alenza plus Took off Goodyear SRA tires the worst. These tires ride so smooth and come with 80,000 mile warranty. When they put them on I couldn't tell you how much the driving and smoothness I felt. Also drove in the snow with them upstate NY and no problem ,Rain also good.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Goodyear Endurance tires load range E, same size with a 117 load index. That's 2833lbs.
It's still an ST trailer tire so who knows how long they will last. I've never had an ST tire last more than 3 or 4 years. Even though the tread looks very good they always develop a bubble under the tread or the tread just separates from the carcass. Of course the replacement warranty is only good for 3 years, what a coincidence.

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the same size tires on my 5th wheel and I think you may find you are maxed out with weight rating for that diameter - 15". Basically, to get a higher rating you'd have to go to a 16" tire.... and wheel and then maybe have fit issues. I did some research a while back and that is what I remember. I never did talk to a tire shop though so definitely check into it.

When you say 1000-1500# under rating is that per tire or total weight of the trailer? A higher weight rating is always nice but I'd take a higher quality tire closer to the weight rating as opposed to a "China Bomb" (slang for crappy Chinese tires that blow out easily) with a higher weight rating. At 2 years you might be able to collect some warranty. They generally don't have tread warranties like cars but should have some warranty against falling apart.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things by paying attention and knowing your weights (this puts you far ahead of about 95% of RVers). I'm at 4 years on my 5th wheel and am probably going to replace the tires just because of age. They are Karrier brand (I'm sure you've heard of them.... lol :)). They actually don't get terrible reviews but 4 years is plenty.

If you haven't already found them, there are a couple great RV message boards out there - rv.net and irv2.com

I’m reluctant to go to a 16” wheel size simply because I’d have to buy 4 new rims.
The total max weight rating on the trailer is 10k and that’s what the current tires are rated for. The dry weight of my trailer is about 6700lbs. I haven’t weighed it, but on high side of an approximate weight of a normal camping trip I’m guessing I’m under 8,000lbs. I do not see myself getting the trailer weight up to 9,000lbs. So the D rated tires will continue to work, but I’d rather jump to an E rated tire where the max tire capacity is over 11k. For peace of mind I guess.
I did read a lot about the Maxxis and Endurance tires. The common comments about the Endurance was that it’s only been out for a couple years. So most do not think it’s has a reliable, proven track record. Also it seems like it’s replacing the Marathon tire which it seems people found that tire to have blow out problems.
The Maxxis has been around for 6+years. And the reputation seems to be very good.
But I’m still on the fence about which tire! I guess it’ll come down to whatever has the best price?

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And i know I’ll never come close to wearing out the tread on any tire I choose. My next replacement will come down to age of tire, again :(

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m reluctant to go to a 16” wheel size simply because I’d have to buy 4 new rims.
The total max weight rating on the trailer is 10k and that’s what the current tires are rated for. The dry weight of my trailer is about 6700lbs. I haven’t weighed it, but on high side of an approximate weight of a normal camping trip I’m guessing I’m under 8,000lbs. I do not see myself getting the trailer weight up to 9,000lbs. So the D rated tires will continue to work, but I’d rather jump to an E rated tire where the max tire capacity is over 11k. For peace of mind I guess.
I did read a lot about the Maxxis and Endurance tires. The common comments about the Endurance was that it’s only been out for a couple years. So most do not think it’s has a reliable, proven track record. Also it seems like it’s replacing the Marathon tire which it seems people found that tire to have blow out problems.
The Maxxis has been around for 6+years. And the reputation seems to be very good.
But I’m still on the fence about which tire! I guess it’ll come down to whatever has the best price?

I just did some research and found the Carlisle tires get some really good reviews. Discount Tires wanted around $115/ea but I found them on Walmart.com and emailed Discount Tires and they'll price match @ $83/ea. Add mounting, balance and new metal valve stems and I'm sure it will be $450-$500 out the door but that's a great deal. These are E-rated 225/75/15 @ 2830# each.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I have that same size tie on the layton. I have load range D on it now and am glad I went up to that load rating. It can't hurt that's for sure.

I think both the endurance and maxims are good. Can't go wrong with either

barryjay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT
What are the largest tires I can put on my 2018 Ram 5.7L 4x4 Big Horn? For example will it take 305/55/R20 or 295/60/R20.