Tire warranty........would you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you buy goodyears you will probably need it haha. Otherwise just say no!

Seriously though if you are getting LT tires they are very tough and you probably do not need it. Passenger tires might be worth it since they puncture a lot easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
All of these warranties are so that they make extra money. They don't offer them because you are getting the better deal.

If you cannot afford any "accidental" damage to your tires when it crops up then you likely cannot afford to drive a car.

What kind of stupid **** is this? I'm pretty sure i can afford my Laramie Mega Cab and all the other **** i buy. I understand the warranties as the company I work for offers a rental protection as well as an extended warranty for our used equipment sales. It is one of those warranties that make our company money but is also beneficial to the customer. No different than the Tire Warranty i got, IMO.

I sure hope I don't have to use the $152 i spent on the warranty but it is nice to know i have it if needed.

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my Cooper ATPs without the warranty and maybe three months later hit a huge piece of metal in the road. It sliced about 4 inches straight through the middle of the tread. Hobbled over to Discount Tire, and they offered to sell me the insurance for like $100 total, or a new tire for $180. It was a no brainer. Since then, it has paid to patch a couple of screw and nail holes too. Bought it for my wife's new tires too and they patched a nail for free a month later. I'll always buy my tires at discount, and I'll always buy their warranty.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
What kind of stupid **** is this? I'm pretty sure i can afford my Laramie Mega Cab and all the other **** i buy. I understand the warranties as the company I work for offers a rental protection as well as an extended warranty for our used equipment sales. It is one of those warranties that make our company money but is also beneficial to the customer. No different than the Tire Warranty i got, IMO.

I sure hope I don't have to use the $152 i spent on the warranty but it is nice to know i have it if needed.

It is a philosophy of why/when you buy insurance. Insurance is sold by companies to cover an expense. They perform this service not out of the kindness of their heart, but because they make money selling insurance. They statistically play the odds and jiggle the numbers so that they come out ahead. If you can afford to pay for the loss, you are better off not buying insurance on average. If you cannot afford the loss (ie. huge medical expense, accidental death of primary $ earner) you insure against it, buying insurance to cover a catastrophic situation.

Since most of us are not going to be put into the poor house over a puncture in our tire it fits under the category of "unwise to insure".

But at the end of the day if you sleep better at night knowing your tire is covered from every possible hazard, by all means, buy yourself some insurance. Someone has to keep the companies in business.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

not stupid,,,, you asked for opinions and this is his.

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What if you just buy insurance on 1 of the tires, then use it for all 4? Prove which one I bought insurance on lol

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
not stupid,,,, you asked for opinions and this is his.

I actually agree with a lot of what he said expect for the "not being able to afford the accidental damage then I probably can afford to drive a car" . That's the stupid **** i was referring to. I know i asked for an opinion. Doesn't mean part of it wasn't stupid.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I actually agree with a lot of what he said expect for the "not being able to afford the accidental damage then I probably can afford to drive a car" . That's the stupid **** i was referring to. I know i asked for an opinion. Doesn't mean part of it wasn't stupid.

fair enough.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What if you just buy insurance on 1 of the tires, then use it for all 4? Prove which one I bought insurance on lol

The insurance with have the tire serial number listed, so it wont work

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I realize I'm chiming-in on an older thread, but I had an experience the other day that may help someone else who views this to make a decision.

I found a sheet metal screw in my 20" tire. The tire (and my truck) had less than 1,500 miles on it when this happened. I had been thinking about buying the Mopar tire and wheel road hazard coverage, but I had been putting it off for no reason other than being lazy.

There was no air leaking from around the screw, so I was hoping that it was short enough that it had not pierced the tire. I backed it out a turn and a half, hit it with some soapy water, and it started losing air. It was late afternoon, so I drove straight to Goodyear. They refused to patch it because the screw was too close to the sidewall. Since they did not have my tire in stock, I drove a few blocks to the Dodge dealer. Same thing, refused to patch because the screw was too close to the sidewall. Luckily, the dealer had a tire in stock, so I had it replaced. Didn't have much choice at the time. It cost me $242 for the tire, tax, mounting, balancing, and labor.

Here's what makes that $242 even tougher to swallow: A 4-year unlimited mileage Mopar tire and wheel road hazard policy is only $260, and it would have covered the replacement tire (including mounting, balancing, etc.) without any out-of-pocket to me. Needless to say I'm kicking myself for not being more proactive and buying the road hazard when I first thought about it. That dirty word "HINDSIGHT" definitely comes to mind here!

I work around a lot of construction sites. I've picked up a lot of nails and screws and other sharp objects over the years, so this could easily happen again tomorrow. Fortunately, this is only the second tire I've ever had to replace due to road hazard damage, but I've also had quite a few repaired.

Now that I've already replaced one tire at my own expense, the question I pose to myself is whether or not to go ahead and buy the road hazard now ... or whether to keep buying replacement tires out-of-pocket should this happen again? Since the Mopar policy would also cover my 20" aluminum wheels, I think it's probably still worth buying--even though it'll essentially be costing me double at this point because I'm already out $242 for being lazy and procrastinating. :(

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just get rid of the ****** good years and you won’t pick up nails and screws hardly ever. I know many will think I am nuts but good year tires are terrible and stuff goes right in them. My dad had a tarp strap hook go in one. They don’t patch because they can sell you a new tire. Go and buy a plug kit if you are keeping those good years and then next time you won’t have an issue. Tire warranty is always a gamble either way.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just get rid of the ****** good years and you won’t pick up nails and screws hardly ever. I know many will think I am nuts but good year tires are terrible and stuff goes right in them. My dad had a tarp strap hook go in one. They don’t patch because they can sell you a new tire. Go and buy a plug kit if you are keeping those good years and then next time you won’t have an issue. Tire warranty is always a gamble either way.

Thanks for the advice regarding the plug kit. The tech at the Goodyear shop actually suggested I might want to buy a plug kit and try to fix it myself. I've never used one before, so I was a bit intimidated. Given my luck, it would hold until I'm out in the middle of nowhere at night during a thunderstorm with no cell signal, and then it would leak and the tire would go flat! (Update: I have since looked at a couple of YouTube videos and see now that plugging a tire is not that difficult. Definitely something I should have tried! ... Good ol' hindsight again.)

I've had several sets of Goodyears, as well as Bridgestone, Falken, Toyo, Yokohama, and my favorite: Michelin LTX M/S2. Whenever I get around to replacing these factory-installed Goodyears, I'll probably go with Michelin again (thru TireBuyer.com).

Last edited:

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had something similar, though I cut the tire near the side wall so it was not repairable. However I took the rim to my local Discount Tire and got a new SRA (pained me to buy even 1) mounted for ~$150.

I have to say in 34 years of driving that was the first flat that could not be repaired. And being close to "insurance" in another industry I NEVER buy the extended warranties. Over time i have saved way more $$ than I have spent on repairs/replacements.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just bought the same exact tire from America's Tire and bought the warranty. The thing that convinced me is that if I'm out in the middle of the desert and cut a sidewall on a rock they'll cover it. If you take it off road it's probably worth getting it.

tiberiusjones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Electrotorque
I would recommend watching and learning from South Main auto, this guy is the most thorough mechanic I have ever seen, he goes through his process of patching a tire. Like most people I dont have all the tools and setup he does but at least I know how a proper job should be done. Might help if you decide to have someone repair it and you can ask how they do it. Also if you do a patch, what to look for and what not to do! I wish I lived in upstate NY so I could take my laramie to him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKwBSzikVrY
He is the real deal.

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Tires have serial #s it is easy to do. I had bought insurance on 2 tires but did not know which 2. Ripped a sidewall and the serial # was not one of them.

Road Hazzard at Wally World was only $10/tire. But now they will not let you buy tires on their website and deliver to store for install. If it is not delivered to them, they will not do a road Hazzard warranty. Just lost my business because of it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank