Would you run Michelins anymore? Or any tire that uses recycled plastic?

Would you run tires with recycled plastic??

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This really has nothing to do with the thread,but i caught a little tidbit about Lego on the news tonight,and they apparently tried using recycled plastic for their blocks,and had issues with the blocks,and that's only a toy building block.
Yeah, that is why this is a bold move by mich.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
IIRC, the blocks were fine. The money wasn't and the 'green' part didn't materialize. The energy needs for recycling were greater or equal to the manufacturing from scratch. It's why recycling post-consumer plastic always stalls. Capitalism won't widely adopt it until it's cheaper. That's generally a good thing, as long as 'hidden costs' are accounted for.

There's a lot of smart people working on it. Somebody is going to figure it out and there will be winners and losers, like in all tech races.
According to the news article,the blocks didn't stick together as well as the original blocks did. I didn't catch the whole article,but i did hear part of it,but if Lego can't make a kids toy block work as well with recycled plastic,it sure makes you wonder about a tire

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
According to the news article,the blocks didn't stick together as well as the original blocks did. I didn't catch the whole article,but i did hear part of it,but if Lego can't make a kids toy block work as well with recycled plastic,it sure makes you wonder about a tire

Not according to Lego themselves, see press release from some 2 years ago: https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news/2021/june/prototype-lego-brick-recycled-plastic

The result is a prototype that meets several of their quality, safety and play requirements – including clutch power.

Clutch power is the measurement of how well they stick together, or clutch each other.

Never trust the media to get any detail right. I deal with this professional all the time, they would rather be first than right.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not according to Lego themselves, see press release from some 2 years ago: https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news/2021/june/prototype-lego-brick-recycled-plastic

Clutch power is the measurement of how well they stick together, or clutch each other.

Never trust the media to get any detail right. I deal with this professional all the time, they would rather be first than right.
It appears using recycled plastic wasn't as green as they thought,or as you stated cost effective

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
One thing that might be in play here is (no sure of the correct name). Companies now have a eco footprint rating from the government. For large corporations a low eco rating means more difficult conditions in doing business. I was at one of my largest customers and they were telling me about it.
I tend to believe this because I am a S-Corp myself and I had my annual online review. This year there was an extensive section on what I am doing to protect the envoirment. Of course I touted buying ECO diesel for less pollution and much better gas mileage :).
The government is getting out of control on company business operations.
Tom
They are doing this to every high rise in NYC. The next boom is going to be regen systems for the CO created from heating large buildings as the gov see's it as an opportunity to fine these companies/owners. That will ultimately be passed down to the customer or the employees in some form. We are testing a new B99 renewable diesel (not bio) but I don't think we are getting any kickbacks for it at the moment.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Because I'm still waiting for Manhattan to be under 40 feet of water, I refuse to get excited until I see some experience-derived, fact-based data on this new approach to making tires.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99008 miles.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The way the question is stated shows the obvious bias of the "author".
As one who has spent a portion of their career in the waste disposal business, recycling is good.
Of course there are those out there that consider our planet nothing but a huge waste heap.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The way the question is stated shows the obvious bias of the "author".
As one who has spent a portion of their career in the waste disposal business, recycling is good.
Of course there are those out there that consider our planet nothing but a huge waste heap.
Your statement implies that those that recycle should approve of the material in our tires. I compost, recycle, live within 5 miles of my workplace, etc., so I get the responsible part of the question. There is more to this discussion than, "do we approve of recycling." I think much of the debate is either, "I trust Michelin, because it is a good company with an outstanding reputation" or "let someone else be the test dummy and I don't trust the technology."

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your statement implies that those that recycle should approve of the material in our tires. I compost, recycle, live within 5 miles of my workplace, etc., so I get the responsible part of the question. There is more to this discussion than, "do we approve of recycling." I think much of the debate is either, "I trust Michelin, because it is a good company with an outstanding reputation" or "let someone else be the test dummy and I don't trust the technology."
Hmmm. You pose an interesting question.

Regarding your first sentence, one would think in a true market-driven society approvals would not be needed. I should advise that in 2006(?) Europe adopted a set of rules called RoHS which basically sets collection, recycling and recovery targets for electrical products. This means that products exceeding the targets cannot be sold in that market.

At this moment in time we see strong parallels to the same government controls being adopted here. Even though synthetic rubber and plastics are commonly recycled, this unique combination of tire construction could inspire some new form of regulation.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99202 miles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Tie in to reports over the past couple years of Michelin tires unable to be balanced and separation issues - across all tire types. Was a huge problem in motorcycle tires (Commander series), my son says trouble in truck tires also.

Sustainability is fine - if the product still works. In this case, it doesn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357