Tires to replace stock goodyears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My stock goodyears are getting very low on tread, i should be replacing them by the end of the year, preferably before the snow starts coming down. I was thinking about bfg k02’s, does anyone know how big i could go with these on my truck with stock ride height? Or should i just go with the same size as the stock goodyears.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just stock, 285/60R20 is safe ... 275/65R20 and 285/65R20 is stuffed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just replaced mine with stock sized Cooper Discoverer AT3-4S. More aggressive tread but not as aggressive as the K02's. Good ride, not noisy and good performance. Only been on for about 2 months so I can't offer any wear data.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the Pirelli Scorpion and really like it. It has a good tread design and to me, looks good too.

Dalex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my truck it had the KO2s on it, honestly though they might be good, walk away, first off they are LOUD, secondly, after just 15 months and about 22,000 miles they are slicker than goose crap in the rain! I am changing them out this weekend for a set of Cooper Discoverer HT Plus.

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the stock Wranglers then Falkens, both garbage. Read on this website about Cooper Discovers, love them, road noise is minimal, good in rain and even snow. For $175 per tire including the tire protection warranty, tax and installation, they have a 55000 mile rating.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had BFG KO2 on my prior RAM and really liked them. They were hard-core AT tires. I experienced minimal road noise and I had them in Load Range E. The ride was definitely firmer but in a good way. I wanted a good tire with stronger sidewalls because I had the truck when I was still working and not making it in due to weather was a not an option. I commuted from the suburbs and had to deal with a city full of potholes, parking on sidewalks, in alleys, in dirt lots with broken glass, etc. and didnt want to deal with coming out after a 3 day shift to a sheetrock screw in a flat tire. The lugs were thick. Made it through unscathed.

On this truck I went with Falken Wildpeak AT3W just to give them a try since I don't commute anymore, do less driving and didn't need such hard core tires now. I live in NY and get plenty of snow and also make a few trips to Vermont each winter. I also take it on deep/loose-packed sand beaches during the summer. I had no problems last winter up in Vermont with the Falkens - they handled well in pretty deep snow. I take it off-the beaten-path to snow mobile.

Falkens and Coopers are in the same category, so not sure how anyone can say either is garbage. Both are mid-range, mid-price point A/T tires and have the 3 peak snow symbol. Here is a site that compares them, among others, and considers them similar in effectiveness: https://tirepost.com/2020/05/05/falken-wildpeak-at3w-vs-cooper-at3/

It's a personal preference and also depends on the look you like. The Falkens are a bit more aggressive looking than most AT's, but less than KO2's. I think KO2's are in an entirely different use-class and price point as well.

This is one of those topics (like oil) that you'll receive so many opinions that it actually won't help you decide, lol.

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had BFG KO2 on my prior RAM and really liked them. They were hard-core AT tires. I experienced minimal road noise and I had them in Load Range E. The ride was definitely firmer but in a good way. I wanted a good tire with stronger sidewalls because I had the truck when I was still working and not making it in due to weather was a not an option. I commuted from the suburbs and had to deal with a city full of potholes, parking on sidewalks, in alleys, in dirt lots with broken glass, etc. and didnt want to deal with coming out after a 3 day shift to a sheetrock screw in a flat tire. The lugs were thick. Made it through unscathed.

On this truck I went with Falken Wildpeak AT3W just to give them a try since I don't commute anymore, do less driving and didn't need such hard core tires now. I live in NY and get plenty of snow and also make a few trips to Vermont each winter. I also take it on deep/loose-packed sand beaches during the summer. I had no problems last winter up in Vermont with the Falkens - they handled well in pretty deep snow. I take it off-the beaten-path to snow mobile.

Falkens and Coopers are in the same category, so not sure how anyone can say either is garbage. Both are mid-range, mid-price point A/T tires and have the 3 peak snow symbol. Here is a site that compares them, among others, and considers them similar in effectiveness: https://tirepost.com/2020/05/05/falken-wildpeak-at3w-vs-cooper-at3/

It's a personal preference and also depends on the look you like. The Falkens are a bit more aggressive looking than most AT's, but less than KO2's. I think KO2's are in an entirely different use-class and price point as well.

This is one of those topics (like oil) that you'll receive so many opinions that it actually won't help you decide, lol.

I got almost double the mileage from my Coopers than the Falkens, Coopers were $10 more per tire. At the tire store I complained about the Falkens, the salesman said the Falkens are cheap tires and their store no longer carries them, this of course is my own experience.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
x2 for the Falkens. I don't encounter snow, but tons of rain, debris, and mud.

Murdock188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to put the falkens wildpeak on my truck in the next couple weeks, can't wait as I think they will look great and perform just as good as they look!

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve used the same Goodyear tires on my last 3 Rams. (06,11 and 18). I easily get 45k miles on them When I change them out and even then they still have meat left on them. I continue to use the same model tires because I know what they’re capable of. Quiet, smooth and Zero hydroplaning and the truck does great in the snow. I can’t justify spending the money and switching brands of tires and then finding out they’re worse than what I already know.

OP
OP
Jtblackram

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you everyone. I was considering falken wildpeaks, ive heard good things about them too. I still have a couple months to decide so im not sweating it too much yet but ill probably be debating between ko2s and wildpeaks

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had KO2's in 37 size D rated, and i was getting exceptional tire wear out of them 1/32 every 5k miles. KO2's are my favorire AT tires and i won't consider anything else if i was going back to AT's. Have run them 5 times now :)

Valkyrie0002

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn CC
Engine
I had Cooper Discover HT on my Cherokee WJ and they were great. I plan on either the Cooper AT or HT on my Ram.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the stock Wranglers then Falkens, both garbage. Read on this website about Cooper Discovers, love them, road noise is minimal, good in rain and even snow. For $175 per tire including the tire protection warranty, tax and installation, they have a 55000 mile rating.

Only curious which falkens you had? I'm considering switching from my ko2's to the wild peak atw3's. But if you had those I'm just curious what you didn't like about them.

thanks!

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only curious which falkens you had? I'm considering switching from my ko2's to the wild peak atw3's. But if you had those I'm just curious what you didn't like about them.

thanks!

I had the Falken Rocky’s, as expensive as today’s Rocky WidePeaks but mileage was not even 30,000 in three years, did balance and rotation every 6 months or 6000 miles and alignment, noise wasn’t bad either, just for that kinda money, disappointed. Rockys were discontinued years ago, many complaints about the wearability.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had the Falken Rocky’s, as expensive as today’s Rocky WidePeaks but mileage was not even 30,000 in three years, did balance and rotation every 6 months or 6000 miles and alignment, noise wasn’t bad either, just for that kinda money, disappointed. Rockys were discontinued years ago, many complaints about the wearability.

I guess we never did discuss which Falkens you had. Maybe yours were disco'd for that reason? KO2's are my top choice but my needs today are ratcheted-down a bit and the Wildpeaks are doing the job.

Dmeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My stock goodyears are getting very low on tread, i should be replacing them by the end of the year, preferably before the snow starts coming down. I was thinking about bfg k02’s, does anyone know how big i could go with these on my truck with stock ride height? Or should i just go with the same size as the stock goodyears.

Just replaced stock Goodyear’s with Continental TerrainContact ATs, 275/60R20. Great tires so far worth the money

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
T

Thanks for the info! Good to know. Sorry about your luck with those tires. Seems to be some inconsistency in some Coopers. I may be swayed into buying Nitto ridge grapplers, I haven't found anything negative about them.