To grille or not to grille...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I kind of like the chrome grille with the chrome bumpers, but your painted version did look nice. I have a Sport and prefer the looks of the honey comb grille over the slats.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mine is painted with Chrome bumpers and I really like the look. d3714663753eba55fefc88d98e8d55ff.jpg

2016 1500 Outdoorsman 4X4 5.7L

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What if you had the ram head logo chrome on the new grille? Wouldn't that give you a tie-in to the bumpers so you could leave them chrome?

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, im going to swap my chrome/black emblem on to it. I should be picking up the grille Monday afternoon...woohoo

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I share the feeling of those who would rather have had a Sport for looks, but buying last Summer from dealer stock and getting a good deal on a Laramie with other options I wanted . . . .

My initial step last Fall was to PlastiDip the Laramie grill inserts black to see what reduced chrome looked like. I didn't remove the inserts - there's enough separation at the join line between grille frame and inserts to allow a Class A masking tape job. It only cost me about $10 for PlastiDip and a roll of Blue masking tape, plus 2 - 3 hours to remove grill from truck, mask, clean, spray, and reinstall. I'm pretty sure I can get the PlastiDip back off if I'm careful - but it's stable enough to withstand a GENTLE washing. I only wish that PlastiDip came color-matched to my truck, so I could try all the other combinations inexpensively.

Blacking out the chrome helped, but I will probably go with a body color grille frame eventually. I'll decide at each step whether to go further. I like some chrome / contrast to monochrome, but I'm not a full chrome person.

Taste is personal, but I'd recommend doing the cheapest / most reversible things first and see how you like it.

AKGONZO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Who is this "Benny" I see referenced and what does he produce/supply?

I'm on the color match quest as well. I was going to wrap my bumpers but for color matched wrap, it was around $750.

Since the pic, stripped all badges for a cleaner look, I'll take a few more pics during the daylight.

20190319_205641.jpg

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who is this "Benny" I see referenced and what does he produce/supply?

I'm on the color match quest as well. I was going to wrap my bumpers but for color matched wrap, it was around $750.

Since the pic, stripped all badges for a cleaner look, I'll take a few more pics during the daylight.

View attachment 162156
Vendor...AllMoparParts

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn, Im so torn....After detailing this weekend I keep looking at it...Im not going to change it. It just gleams now....Going to go with other mods.
I have been working on this truck for a year now, making it my own....

Last edited:

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm working on changing to color match and black. Made my own grille.
aa34nw.jpg

The new brush guard hasn't shipped yet. I need the bumper stain black by then.