Tonneau cover multifunction tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at a 2020 Dodge ram rebel with a 5,7 box with multifunction tailgate. Has no rambox

What are my options as far as tonneau covers. Just spoke to backflip rep and he said they don't have anything that fits a box with multifunction tailgate. I'm looking for something that can't be penatrated and can store in vertical position if I need to put my motorcycle in the bed

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did a little digging and found out that if the oem brackets are replaced with brackets from rightonbracket.com most if not all covers will fit.

shaginwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have had Truxedo X15 on prior trucks and they are saying it WILL NOT work with Multi-function tailgate. Can someone let me know what soft roll-up bed cover they have with a multi function tailgate.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did a little digging and found out that if the oem brackets are replaced with brackets from rightonbracket.com most if not all covers will fit.

That is correct. Replace those brackets, and you're good to go.

Bill A

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at a 2020 Dodge ram rebel with a 5,7 box with multifunction tailgate. Has no rambox

What are my options as far as tonneau covers. Just spoke to backflip rep and he said they don't have anything that fits a box with multifunction tailgate. I'm looking for something that can't be penatrated and can store in vertical position if I need to put my motorcycle in the bed

I have the same box and tailgate and went with the Xtang Solid Fold. Very happy with it. For open position the two rear panels fold on top of front panel and strap down so you still have 1/3 of bed covered. To load a motorcycle you would need to remove the cover which involves undoing two clamps (by hand and lifting the cover off). Takes less than a minute. Cover is very light but very strong and very affordable. One advantage of the folding covers when compared to the solid fiberglass covers such as Leer is the tailgate can be lowered or swung open without lifting the cover.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Again, with the brackets, it will fit. I have the BakFlip and it does exactly what you describe.

upload_2021-5-14_9-47-18.png

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Again, with the brackets, it will fit. I have the BakFlip and it does exactly what you describe.

View attachment 247314
I think you missed where he said he does not have the rambox option. Rambox beds with the MFT do not have the extra bracing that the non-rambox beds have. So for the rambox beds, pretty much any bed cover that works for non-MFT beds will work for rambox beds with the MFT.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truxedo Sentry ct and is a cut above the bak2 revolver. Fits split tailgate but you have to quick disconnect the entire thing for a motorcycle. Not hard to disconnect but bulky to move once disconnected. Almost water tight. Beautiful and not easly penetrated. Mounting was a little tough with rambox but once fitted looks sharp.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had Truxedo X15 on prior trucks and they are saying it WILL NOT work with Multi-function tailgate. Can someone let me know what soft roll-up bed cover they have with a multi function tailgate.
Tyger T1. I just installed mine. Great fit and nice quality and great price .$189.00.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you missed where he said he does not have the rambox option. Rambox beds with the MFT do not have the extra bracing that the non-rambox beds have. So for the rambox beds, pretty much any bed cover that works for non-MFT beds will work for rambox beds with the MFT.
I knew he didn't have Ram boxes, that's why I mentioned you have to switch out the brackets. I was simply showing him how it works with MFT and how it folds all the way up to accommodate the motorcycle.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I knew he didn't have Ram boxes, that's why I mentioned you have to switch out the brackets. I was simply showing him how it works with MFT and how it folds all the way up to accommodate the motorcycle.
I'm confused about which brackets you're referring to. There are no brackets on the rambox beds. Or are you talking about the utility rails?

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm confused about which brackets you're referring to. There are no brackets on the rambox beds. Or are you talking about the utility rails?
Sorry if I confused the conversation. There are no brackets on trucks with Ramboxes. What I meant to say was if you have a truck with a MFT without Ramboxes, then you will have factory brackets that will prevent you from installing a BakFlip, so you'll have to replace the factory brackets with 3rd-party brackets so you can do the installation.

shaginwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Tyger T1. I just installed mine. Great fit and nice quality and great price .$189.00.

Tyger website says the T1 is not compatible with MFT. Can you confirm you have MFT and there was no issue with install or leaks?

thanks

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tyger website says the T1 is not compatible with MFT. Can you confirm you have MFT and there was no issue with install or leaks?

thanks
The Tyger T 1 fits perfect on my 2021 Ram 1500 CC 6.4 bed with the MFT. The Tyger T 1 sits on top of the rails, not inside the rails so the added support brackets on the front of the bed do not interfere with the cover.

GChandler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey BNeal, that looks sharp! I just got my ‘21 Limited with RamBox and split tailgate. Which Bakflip did you install? Mx4 or F1? I see your upper brake light and they described that as a benefit with F1. Any major leaking problems? One nice thing is I got the electronic rear view mirror so even with the cover up behind the back window I’ll be able to use the rearview “ mirror”! Thx!

Southlake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Sorry if I confused the conversation. There are no brackets on trucks with Ramboxes. What I meant to say was if you have a truck with a MFT without Ramboxes, then you will have factory brackets that will prevent you from installing a BakFlip, so you'll have to replace the factory brackets with 3rd-party brackets so you can do the installation.
Anyone know why they install such large brackets. Will the bed be ok of these are just removed. What.os the purpose of these? Thanks

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Anyone know why they install such large brackets. Will the bed be ok of these are just removed. What.os the purpose of these? Thanks
You don't want to just remove them. They are there to help support the bed sides when you open the MFT tailgate in the non-traditional way. Some people have replaced them with these so they can have a larger selection of bed covers...