Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bottom line, as many have pointed out, is how you will use your truck bed.....?

I had a soft tonneau cover on my truck 25 years ago......if all you want to do is have a basic cover over your bed, with very basic out of the weather considerations, and without concern for sincere security and leaving stuff in the bed, the soft, roll up or fold up, can fit the bill......if this does fit your needs for now, I would not spend more than $200 on one - way too many inexpensive and good options in this area........and, not too much above that price point, and you can get into various solid folding tri fold covers, in the $400-$500 range.

My last truck had an Extang Solid Fold hard cover that I found online, delivered, for $450.00. It was a great bed cover, I felt fairly secure to leave semi valuable stuff in the bed overnight, in a decent location, but it was “not” super weather proof, as water would find its way into the bed. The cover sat on top of the bed rails, but was completely self contained, which meant that 1 person could remove the cover and put it in the garage or in the back seat of the truck, in under 5 minutes.....

The upgrade to the solid fold type cover is the current style, flush mount covers, such as the Bak Flip, and my choice, the Lomax, amongst others. Purchase price ballpark here is $800-$1200.

As a few guys have offered, I too use my current truck, and specifically the truck bed, more like a large trunk, than a truck bed. Considering this, I put on a solid fiberglass cover, from Ranch, purchased online, and color matched for them, delivered to my door, for just over $1200.00. Install takes 2 people about 10 minutes, but my need was increased security, and ultimately best weatherproofing for any cargo.

These types of solid fiberglass covers vary widely in cost from about $800 for a basic black universal type, to $2000+ for a color matched high end model.

So, my advice, you first have to sit down and figure out your budget - no sense in getting all excited about something that isn’t within your budget right now, and, in with thought, if you are on the fence now with money, it is better off to wait, in my opinion, and save $$$, and get what you want and that fits your needs, when you can afford it.

Buying a cheap/inexpensive soft cover now, when you really want/need a more secure cover in reality, is like throwing away a few hundred $$$$

There are lots of options in every category - you first have to figure out what category, or your budget, and then where your needs/wants fit in, and then narrow the field of options down to what fits in your budget with your wants/needs.

Good luck - happy shopping.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
XTang 2.0. Great cover easily removed. This is the one on my truck!

PicsArt_11-16-08.06.41.jpg

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Truck Gear (Line-X) Eclipse. It has aluminum slats and fabric cover. Looks like a softtop but adds security. I can only be opened if the tailgate is opened. It uses velcro on slanted siderails to cover the edges to keep water out. I went through a touchless wash and no leaks.

if they install you get a lifetime warranty, $1100 IIRC

"All Truck Gear by LINE-X accessories carry the Truck Gear Lifetime End-to-End Warranty. This warranty covers your accessories no matter where you live. If you ever have a problem with your accessory you can return it to any Truck Gear by LINE-X Franchise to have your accessory replaced at no cost to you. While a manufacturer’s warranty only covers the cost to replace the accessory, the Truck Gear Lifetime End-to-End Warranty covers the accessory and the reinstallation of the replacement part."

https://linex.com/accessories/truck-gear (top right ECLIPSE)

(forgot to push down on the rear corner of the velcro)
full

When hauling something big and it needs to be rolled up, it does not block the whole window like the tri-folds.

I can even haul the fifth wheel with it rolled up.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Many have provided spot on input here...I would add that along with cost, looks, security, that your location can also play a large part, particularly it the lower cost soft covers. Here in the north east once you get past mid October you will need a heat garage at a minimum to roll out most roll-ups and that is why I went soft trifold. I also had manufacture send me 2 more of the quick clamps that it uses on the rear and installed them in the front so I can quickly and easily remove mine without having to mess with the plastic "wing" bolts that held the front clamps in place.

Van B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the Retrax. Absolutely love it, no noise. Doesn't rattle or bounce around in highway speeds either

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally like Peragon can be removed in under 1 minute, waterproof, and is steel and locks so very secure

GEM1N1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I trade trucks a lot. I’ve donated nearly $10k to BakFlip over the years. Lol

I’ve used hard tri folds but switched up to the hard rolling now called Revolver X4. Best topper yet. Had it on my last 4 trucks. Low profile, rolls all the way up, doesn’t intrude on your bed space when rolled up, security of a metal cover when closed and locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I purchased this for my 2020 Ram 1500 new model 6 lug with 5'7" bed. This is my first ever bed cover. I chose a BAKFLIP X4, tri-fold cover after reviewing nearly every hard or semi-hard covers. I found it very easy to install. First, the rails, make sure they are even in height to the same measurements on both sides. The clamps appeared sturdy and were easy to install. Then the entire cover was laid on the front of the rails. I unfolded it to make sure it was lined up. Sure enough, it fit like a glove. I then refolded the cover and tightened the two hold-down clips. Leaving the cover-up I adjusted the 2 rods that hold the cover-up, then checked the two outside straps that also secure it in the up position if driving. Being 71 and disabled, I found this very easy to install the first time around. I have not had an opportunity to try it in the rain yet. I also added a BedRug afterward. The cover is very sturdy and held 7 full gas cans with no problem. It has a lifetime warranty. Just be sure to read the instructions carefully before installing it. There is nothing complicated about it. So far I am very pleased.
Be sure to shop around for prices. I got mine for $803 an one line site where most others were $969.
So far I am very pleased with the cover. Also, the manufacture suggests maintaining the cover with 303 Protectant making sure to follow the "INSTRUCTIONS" exactly as on the body. One word of caution: When folding "DOWN": the cover making darn sure to keep the rubber side flaps straight or you might tear one. The rubber is about 3.8" wide to help seal against incoming water. GOOD LUCK ON WHATEVER YOU PURCHASE.
IMG_1381 (2).JPG

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Many have provided spot on input here...I would add that along with cost, looks, security, that your location can also play a large part, particularly it the lower cost soft covers. Here in the north east once you get past mid October you will need a heat garage at a minimum to roll out most roll-ups and that is why I went soft trifold. I also had manufacture send me 2 more of the quick clamps that it uses on the rear and installed them in the front so I can quickly and easily remove mine without having to mess with the plastic "wing" bolts that held the front clamps in place.

That is a good point, although I live in the Buffalo NY area and as long as the soft tonneau is in the sun in the cold of winter, it's enough to allow you to use it as designed. Night time cold can be a problem. No matter what you buy, all of them are an issue if they're covered in snow/ice. Dang North East 8 months of winter. LOL.

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've used the ACCESS brand soft tonneau covers for my current (2011 Ram 2500) and prior (1998 Ram 1500) trucks. I love these because I frequently need to use the bed of my truck when the cover would otherwise be in the way; therefore, being able to quickly roll it up and out of the way and re-cover is important to me. The top is also light in weight and adds to the aerodynamics of the truck, thus helping with fuel mileage over some other options.

The ACCESS makes their products with high quality materials and their toughness has proven themselves over and over throughout the years. When I had my 1998 1500 and lived at the north end of Lake Tahoe, the cover stood up very well to the heavy Sierra snow storms. Under the canvas, are support bars to prevent the weight of snow from collapsing into the bed. Many times I would wake up to over 2 or 3 feet of heavy snow on top of the cover. I did push the snow off the lid before driving, but was very impressed with how strong it was. I live just east of Carson City and still get lots of snow in the winter. The ACCESS tonneau cover is great at keeping every inside dry too. I go thru the car wash on a weekly basis and very little, if any, water gets inside near the tailgate.

I've also had the BedRug bedliner in both trucks and absolutely swear by them. These liners are built with custom slots to fit in between the truck bed's contours leaving a flat and cushioned surface that is very easy on the knees. I've even slept on top of the BedRug with any extra mattress while camping and was very comfortable.

20191103_104011.jpg

20191103_120650.jpg

20191103_120338.jpg

20191103_120325.jpg

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I forgot to add, that while the ACCESS may not be as secure as a hard (metal or fiberglass) cover, when the cover is fully in place, items in the truck bed are not seen. Many times I've forgotten I've had stuff in the bed - but "out of sight - out of mind". With my 1998 truck, I had forgotten that I had my golf bag and clubs back there for over 6 months. And this past summer I've had my power tools and a ladder back there as well. (I didn't forget em, just too lazy to take them out at the end of every weekend after working on a cabin up at Tahoe.)

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Bottom line, as many have pointed out, is how you will use your truck bed.....?

I had a soft tonneau cover on my truck 25 years ago......if all you want to do is have a basic cover over your bed, with very basic out of the weather considerations, and without concern for sincere security and leaving stuff in the bed, the soft, roll up or fold up, can fit the bill......if this does fit your needs for now, I would not spend more than $200 on one - way too many inexpensive and good options in this area........and, not too much above that price point, and you can get into various solid folding tri fold covers, in the $400-$500 range.

I just installed this Gator SR1 ($300) two days ago. I love it. It's all I need to keep my equipment out of the elements and I like the fact it will not block out my rear view out the back window with a big panel or a large roll. I was also looking for a quality soft top that had side rails that mounted on top of the bed instead of inside the bed. I did not want to lose the bed space on the sides for my 5th wheel. I narrowed it down to the Truxedo Truxport and Gator SR1. Come to find out that they are the exact same unit. The SR1 soft top was about $20 cheaper. I installed this myself in about 20-30 minutes and it really was easy.

Gator2.jpg

Gator3.jpg

Gator4.jpg

Gator5.jpg

Gator1_LI.jpg

Last edited:

GEM1N1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just ordered bakflip from autoanything. 20% off to go ahead and order since it’s on backorder.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
I've got the Truxedo pro x15 on mine, its low profile for a soft top and mostly keeps out the elements, except for at the rear of the tailgate but I think thats the tailgate gaps more than the tonneau.

20200911_154725.jpg

20200911_154635.jpg

Blair Stunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with a Weathertech. The install was easy with 3-square nuts that slide into the RamBox Cargo Management Rail with the tonneau rails bolting into it. Easy to remove as the first section slides into the front. A couple of safety Lanayard clips to undo. Tailgate closes without needing to lift the last section.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with a Weathertech. The install was easy with 3-square nuts that slide into the RamBox Cargo Management Rail with the tonneau rails bolting into it. Easy to remove as the first section slides into the front. A couple of safety Lanayard clips to undo. Tailgate closes without needing to lift the last section.

I’ve read that from quite a few people now about not having to open their cover to drop their gate but you know, if the top of our gates weren’t so wide on top with such long gaps on either side, I’d love to have a cover that didn’t require I opened it first but I’m all about keeping my bed dry so I deal with it.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know which covers work with the Multifunction Tailgate? I'm looking for a hard tri-fold or a roll-up but most don't work with the MFT.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It all depends on budget and use of bed. I worked pest control years ago and they used solid fiberglass ARE bed lids that had a few extra inches above the bed rails. Kinda expensive ($1500) but are chems never got wet. Also could not load very big/tall items but we didn't do that anyway. It did open with shocks at a 45 degree angle to access the bed. Kinda hard to get items up front. Very secure lid!

I noticed with my Extang solid fold 2.0 and most folding/roll up covers that you may get water into the bed. Especially in carwashes with pressure sprayers and such. But being able to fold it open and remove it by myself is worth the small amounts of water that get in. I keep lawn equipment and other misc stuff that if it got wet isn't a big deal. Also, not as secure as the top of line lids. I would not keep expensive valuables in this solid fold, no way.

If you want a "bone dry" extra car trunk that's very secure than a solid ARE fiberglass, or similar expensive cover is required. I haven't seen a cheap, super secure, completely dry bed cover yet. Some do get close though.
20201225_100034.jpg

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know which covers work with the Multifunction Tailgate? I'm looking for a hard tri-fold or a roll-up but most don't work with the MFT.

Any trifold that sits on top of the rails should work fine. It maybe worth a drive to your local truck accessories dealer just to be sure. Those guys are good, you may pay a little more than online but you get good service. My local guy does tint too. Wish I had more coin to get more goodies from them. :)

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any trifold that sits on top of the rails should work fine. It maybe worth a drive to your local truck accessories dealer just to be sure. Those guys are good, you may pay a little more than online but you get good service. My local guy does tint too. Wish I had more coin to get more goodies from them. :)
That's not what I'm seeing when I go to order. Most specifically state that they won't work with the MFT.

upload_2020-12-25_23-7-31.png