Total power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spencer McNeely

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2011 ram 1500 with the 5.7. It has 170,000km on it.

It just recently had the lifters and cam replaced due to the common issue of the lifter failing. When the shop was all done replacing the cams, they were still having a small issue with number 5 cylinder misfiring at idle. What they did to troubleshoot was:

Compressions checks
Leak down tests
Swapped with another cylinder:
Coil packs,
Injectors,
Spark plugs

With nothing helping or coming up faulty, they finally changed one of the O2 sensors and it helped. I drove the truck for a few weeks with no trouble, just getting bad fuel milage. Then It started misfiring again and got worse and worse. One time it threw a code P3400 cylinder deactivation system bank 1. But never threw it again. It then threw a code UO401 implusable data received from ECM/PCM when I went into abs codes. I cleared all codes and it drove ok for a few days until I was pulling an empty aluminum trailer with nothing in it and it threw a code P0122 throttle position sensor 1 circuit low and went into limp mode. The dash lit up with all kinds of lights.(I've copied a picture of the dash) I couldn't clear the codes and couldn't get the truck to go over 40km/hr. I had to take back roads all the way home.

Once I got home I parked it for a few days, with the intention of changing the TPS and it would fix it. Just the other day I went out to work on it. I was going to try to clear the code for the TPS and drive it around a bit to see if it would throw anyother codes. When I turned the key to crank the engine over, the truck didnt crank at all. It completely shut all power off to the truck and whatever I did I couldn't get power back and the key was stuck in the ignition. The only thing that worked was taking the leads off the battery for 15mins to do a reset. But once I tried to crank the engine over, the truck went dark again. The TIPM was changed about 20,000 km ago.

I'm have no clue what to do next and was hoping someone could help me out. Thank you

20200327_183357.jpg

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
Before you had the lifters and cam changed, were you having any issues? Or was this done as a preventative measure?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did they replace the plug wires or reuse old? Could be a bad wire. Also check coil. Moving things can create problems that weren't there before. Good luck.