Tow Haul mode normalcy check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grizzjeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We know these transmissions are finicky and quite strange behaving... one thing I assume is normal but just seems way odd is when in tow haul mode hauling and say I am coasting down a hill and picking up speed, the tranny by design downshifts to try and engine brake... but I have had it happen several times where it will downshift and be taching 5k! Seeing the engine scream like that down a hill is disheartening...

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mines never downshifted like that but it does downshift. Helps hold speed with a heavy load. Sometimes I'll rest my foot on the throttle going down hill and it seems to help prevent it though. Our 2009 cummins work Truck is really finicky to the point that I quit running tow/haup mode. It will downshift and bark the tires.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
i have never had it downshift that hard but i haven't towed anything to heavy yet either and there isn't many big hills in Michigan. just little ones.

were you trailering something? either way, that seems a little high. I would think jumping up to 3500 rpm's with occasional 4,000 would be ok but 5,000 would concern me a little.

take it to the dealer and ask them/ tell them your concerns.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
guess i should have mentioned that what I said was an assumption/opinion. i could be way wrong.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just got through, a week ago, hauling a trailer up and down the Appalachians on a long road trip. With tow/haul active it downshifted a few times on some of the downhill runs bringing the rpms way up. I checked the EVIC transmission temp a few times and it showed no real change during these times so I wasn't concerned. Here in the Rockies when in the mountains I use the manual shifter frequently to engine brake and save my brakes from heating up too much, always figured that's what that feature is for.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just got through, a week ago, hauling a trailer up and down the Appalachians on a long road trip. With tow/haul active it downshifted a few times on some of the downhill runs bringing the rpms way up. I checked the EVIC transmission temp a few times and it showed no real change during these times so I wasn't concerned. Here in the Rockies when in the mountains I use the manual shifter frequently to engine brake and save my brakes from heating up too much, always figured that's what that feature is for.

do you think it seems a little excessive because he doesn't have a trailer (i think) ?

tojo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mines never downshifted like that but it does downshift. Helps hold speed with a heavy load. Sometimes I'll rest my foot on the throttle going down hill and it seems to help prevent it though. Our 2009 cummins work Truck is really finicky to the point that I quit running tow/haup mode. It will downshift and bark the tires.
I've only had my rig for about two weeks now and have experienced the same thing. I do what Iron Outlaw said as far as lightly keeping my foot on the pedal. It seems to correct this issue.

Lipcurl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We know these transmissions are finicky and quite strange behaving... one thing I assume is normal but just seems way odd is when in tow haul mode hauling and say I am coasting down a hill and picking up speed, the tranny by design downshifts to try and engine brake... but I have had it happen several times where it will downshift and be taching 5k! Seeing the engine scream like that down a hill is disheartening...

Mine does same thing but when rpms reach 4K I start using brakes so they don't go higher. No trailer attached but a bed full of firewood

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
one of the advantages to tow/haul mode is that the truck downshifts to brake. if you take your foot off the gas to coast the truck assumes your looking to slow down and it downshifts. you have to lightly keep your foot on the throttle to avoid this. its not a dodge thing either, chevy does the same thing. i would assume ford does as well but dont know for sure.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
one of the advantages to tow/haul mode is that the truck downshifts to brake. if you take your foot off the gas to coast the truck assumes your looking to slow down and it downshifts. you have to lightly keep your foot on the throttle to avoid this. its not a dodge thing either, chevy does the same thing. i would assume ford does as well but dont know for sure.

Yep. My 2013 f150 was the same exact way. Actually downshifted even more. I saw 4000-5000 a lot with it

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
do you think it seems a little excessive because he doesn't have a trailer (i think) ?

Not really. All these transmissions are electronically controlled. It's just the software and how it's programmed from Dodge, no different that tuning your truck for different shift points. Some engineer at Dodge figured out the Tow/Haul shift and braking points that would be a good overall fit for most applications and that's our program. These motors are great and the transmissions are pretty good too and if they can't handle 4-6K rpms then Ram has bigger problems. Just my opinion.