Tow/Haul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
On my 2016 2500 with the 6.4 T/H locked out 6th gear & gave me firmer up shifts & down shifts. On my 2022 3500 with the Cummins it doesn't lock out 6th but does adjust the shift points. Is that all it does with the CTD?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Internal settings of the transmission of line pressure and when the torque converter locks/unlocks are some of the parameters that are adjusted by the Tow/Haul mode.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Also holds the gears longer and when the EB is on with TH, the EB works really well.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
As crash68 said, transmission line pressures are increased when T/H setting is used. The increased line pressure helps eliminate clutch slippage when towing, also it locks the torque converter which helps reduce transmission over-heating. An added benefit of T/H is that when the torque converter is locked the exhaust brake will engage to slow the truck, well, that is if the EB is turned on. I run my Cummins in T/H with EB every time I drive it.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have T/H and EB both on most of the time since I pull a 40' gooseneck trailer for work. However, I've gotten spoiled on the T/H assisting with the braking... With no trailer on, I leave T/H off, EB on. When I come off an interstate, I'll turn T/H on before I hit the off ramp, letting it and the EB jump in and slow the truck.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
I have T/H and EB both on most of the time since I pull a 40' gooseneck trailer for work. However, I've gotten spoiled on the T/H assisting with the braking... With no trailer on, I leave T/H off, EB on. When I come off an interstate, I'll turn T/H on before I hit the off ramp, letting it and the EB jump in and slow the truck.
Good tips, thank you!!

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
That's kind of what I thought. You guys that have the T/H & EB on while empty... how do you keep yourself from going through the windshield when it downshifts? 1697029288659.gif:D I do however always run the EB on high at all times. I probably should do it like you all, since the brakes on these newer models are so soft. I remember someone on here about 3 or 4 years ago complaining on how bad the brakes were. I was thinking to myself what are they expecting? Cause mine on my 2016 2500 worked great. Even pulling a trailer. Then when I got this new truck I was like WOW! Now I see what they mean. They must have changed suppliers as my 22' 3500 doesn't stop nearly as good as my old 2500.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my buddies that have a 6.7 cummins tell me that I should always run with the EB on the green setting because it will save my brake pads which I guess the dsl trucks go thru faster..this is my first dsl 2500 so I am always looking for tips. I do use tow/haul when towing

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's kind of what I thought. You guys that have the T/H & EB on while empty... how do you keep yourself from going through the windshield when it downshifts? View attachment 529891:D I do however always run the EB on high at all times. I probably should do it like you all, since the brakes on these newer models are so soft. I remember someone on here about 3 or 4 years ago complaining on how bad the brakes were. I was thinking to myself what are they expecting? Cause mine on my 2016 2500 worked great. Even pulling a trailer. Then when I got this new truck I was like WOW! Now I see what they mean. They must have changed suppliers as my 22' 3500 doesn't stop nearly as good as my old 2500.

Running the EB also keeps the exhaust hot and helps with the emissions crap. I run my EB all the time empty and never hit the brakes.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don't use T/H when driving in town, if speeds are 45 MPH and under an I want to keep RPM's up I lock out 5 & 6 gear, I set EB to auto at all time unless I need more stopping power...

Roper46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 CTD
I also use my EB all the time. I use TH and EB when I'm towing.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I do use tow/haul when towing
I only use TH when the terrain is hilly enough to make the truck downshift fairly often. I live in the Ozarks and travel to the Rocky Mts at least once a year, so I do use it at times. But I go by what the owners manual says, which is basically that you do not need to use TH unless the tranny is gear hunting a lot. In flatter land and/or lighter trailers, I don't use it.