Tow mirrors to regular mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zuzuki4jere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Hello, I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Larami, I,m looking to change from tow mirror to regular mirrors. my mirrors are chrome, manual fold, defrost, turn signal, puddle light and temp sensor on driver side.vin#1c6rr7nm0js356687. is there regular OEM mirrors with all these options? if not if I upgrade to power folding do I need to change the door modules even if I program it with the Alfaobd?

Stangboy101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Hey, you should only have to change the mirrors. I have the 17 version of yours and the modules on the truck are for the tow when you flip them up the direction buttons move the mirror the same. So if you switch to non-tow you can't flip them, so current module should function without issue and nothing to program.

montanabound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang if you were closer I’d swap my mirrors with you, I’m looking for a set of moose ears.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So if you switch to non-tow you can't flip them, so current module should function without issue and nothing to program.
I believe the regular mirror door module is able to handle the flip up of the tow mirrors. If he gets a set of power fold mirrors those require a different module if he wants them to power fold. Power fold mirrors can still be folded in manually.

Stangboy101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Crash, you are correct, i missed the part where he wanted to add power fold and they require a different module along with new window switch. You also want the GC switch 68319803AA as it has the illuminated mirror buttons, mine will be here shortly.

HighShyGuy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I believe the regular mirror door module is able to handle the flip up of the tow mirrors. If he gets a set of power fold mirrors those require a different module if he wants them to power fold. Power fold mirrors can still be folded in manually.

Not gonna lie, after spending 800 on new OEM power fold mirrors, I'm scared to manually fold them in... LOL

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not gonna lie, after spending 800 on new OEM power fold mirrors, I'm scared to manually fold them in... LOL
nothing to fear, sadly a lot of people actually think you'll break a power fold mirror by folding it manually. I fold mine in manually regularly especially since the driver's side is in the way if I use the built-in ladder to go in the garage attic. The manual fold is part of the mirror "breakaway" feature so they'll fold out of the way if you hit something with one.
You don't even need to unfold manually unfold the mirrors. You can use the power feature to unfold them.

HighShyGuy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
nothing to fear, sadly a lot of people actually think you'll break a power fold mirror by folding it manually. I fold mine in manually regularly especially since the driver's side is in the way if I use the built-in ladder to go in the garage attic. The manual fold is part of the mirror "breakaway" feature so they'll fold out of the way if you hit something with one.
You don't even need to unfold manually unfold the mirrors. You can use the power feature to unfold them.

And no harm in one being folded and one not?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
And no harm in one being folded and one not?
Nope, the first time you hit the power button if either mirror is manually folded in, the mirror tries to fold but it's just re-aligning the hinge. Second time you hit the button the mirror will unfold and they'll both be "unfolded".

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, the first time you hit the power button if either mirror is manually folded in, the mirror tries to fold but it's just re-aligning the hinge. Second time you hit the button the mirror will unfold and they'll both be "unfolded".
On the 5th gen I've seen the cheap plastic gears and i would not advise pushing them in by hand, my wife did so twice on mine, and it stripped the gear!!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
replaceable metal gears are usually available, sometimes they are on backorder