Towing center of gravity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I’m loading my tractor on the trailer I just watch the truck and when level I stop. Plenty of tongue weight, never an issue.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do not load in backwards this will result in an unbalanced trailer and will increase the probability of trailer sway at speed. At a minimum it will make the trailer more susceptible to side wind loading and result in sway they could be come uncontrolable
well this a load male cow excrement..
Loading a vehicle backwards doesn't automatically make the trailer "unbalanced", it all depends on where the weight percentages are on the trailer. Look at a boat trailer, they can have an extremely light tongue percentage (6%) and mass of the boats weight is at and behind the trailer axles. It's how the load is positioned in relation to the tongue and axles will determine a trailer stability.
There will be crap forward wind resistance with a truck backwards on a trailer but to increase the wind side load resistant that truck will need to be a box truck.

Spamcan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Right, I own a travell trailer and tow it with a Ram 2500 V10-powered truck. Costs money going back and forth to the weigh scale especially with gas prices what they are. So, to avoid those costly trips, I use a "crane scale" purchased on Amazon for ~ $30. It can weigh up to 660 lbs. As you can see, I used an old hitch and had a vertical piece welded onto it of a suitable length to suspend the scale from a good-sized bolt with a couple of hooks and chain. Works like a champ! When not in use, the suspension hitch is stored in my truck box and the scale and chain, etc are stowed in the travel trailer. And, from what I understand, that hitch weight adjustment is necessary to avoid the liklyhood of the tt swaying and getting out of control... never have worried about center of gravity location. Mind you, my tt is only an 18 footer so it's not likely to behave as a tail waggin' the dog! But why chance it?

Attachments

• P1000077 (2).JPG
    P1000077 (2).JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: