Towing results --again 2500-6.4 3:73

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pulling 11K or a hair more and 2nd gear is my friend. The only ***** is when I can't hold it and the truck tweaks out in first. I'd have no need to want a re-gear if not for the mile gap between first and second. And I know the gap will still be there but it will be a bit less noticeable and at a lower speed so I'll have a better chance to hold 2nd.

I was just out on a steep-ish mountain road that was curvy and in pretty poor shape. Poor enough shape that I couldn't go much over 40. So, many times the truck would SLAM back into first. All I can say is thank god for my lifetime warranty. If this was on my dime I'd probably have sold it in by now because with every "slam" up a steep hill with an 11K 5th wheel behind me I think something is going to fall off the truck but she keeps on going. As long as I can hold 2nd the Hemi is a total beast. I've pulled 6% grades at altitude maintaining 60-65 fairly easily. It's just that 1-2 gap that sucks ass.

Yes I hate that gap, although its not really bothered me except one time. The fact this truck will run 70 MPH in second gear is just beyond baffeling for a heavy duty truck that is rated to tow that much. it says a lot about the poor tranny gearing.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
But going to 4:88 wouldnt you then be running about 4500 RPM in third gear at highway speeds instead of second gear?
So your pulling roughly the same rpms I would think, then second gear becomes kind of useless, not that you would need it much!

You also have to think that you’re going to be getting more torque to the ground with a taller gear ratio ( it will be much easier on the truck/trans/torque converter with taller gears like that) so you would be able to pull the same weight in a higher gear with a little less RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This thread is filled with some good real life/reality perspective. Not "my truck can hold 5th gear idling up a hill at 65mph with 10K on the hitch while getting 16mpg" ****. As some have probably read in other threads since I got this rig a few years back we have towed mostly the horses at 5000-7500lbs depending on which horses and gear along with now a travel trailer at ~5000-5500lbs, so I am not towing extremely heavy but enough to speak on the topic.

I'm impressed that the folks in this thread towing 10K+/- are having not too different experiences as I have at 50-75% of the weight they have. I tow mostly at sea level, which is to speak to elevation impact on engine performance not to say we aren't rocking some big long hills. We are. For my weight at sea level to 3,000' elevation 3rd gear will allow me to do whatever I want up hills. I usually lock in 3rd on known long grades so I can easily move around slowing big rigs etc. and not have to bog down and have it bang into 2nd.

Overall I describe the truck as capable, reliable and as expected thirsty.....9.5-11.5mpg. Fuel economy is as I expected and I'm fine with that. Toss in the ability of having >3,000lbs payload and life is good.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey guys
If you have a problem with the tranny shifting back and forth on mountain terrain the best thing to do is leave it in the highest gear it will pull in. Even if its first gear just slow down and manually lock it in to maintain it and keep the RPM's within reason. You don't see truckers upshifting on steep terrain.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys
If you have a problem with the tranny shifting back and forth on mountain terrain the best thing to do is leave it in the highest gear it will pull in. Even if its first gear just slow down and manually lock it in to maintain it and keep the RPM's within reason. You don't see truckers upshifting on steep terrain.

I agree with this, but a few times it downshifted it caught me by surprise because it was maintaining speed and still had plenty of rpms left. I was in third pushing 3500 RPMS and wasn't bogging or slowing down, it just decided it wanted second instead. I suppose my foot moved an inch or so!

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I agree with this, but a few times it downshifted it caught me by surprise because it was maintaining speed and still had plenty of rpms left. I was in third pushing 3500 RPMS and wasn't bogging or slowing down, it just decided it wanted second instead. I suppose my foot moved an inch or so!

This is where I would love to feel the difference with a pedal commander......

Might be in my future.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The 3.73’s are fine. A lot of big 18 wheelers use 3.55 gears and maintain just fine.
Respectfully, that is completely irrelevant. 18 wheelers are also pushing 450 hp at 1000 rpm through a 15 speed transmission. The rear axle ratio is mated to the power and transmission.

That's like saying that my Cummins with a 3.42 rear axle is less of a towing machine than the Hemi with 3.73... its comparing apples to tree branches... they are related in a way, but not really...

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good discussion. I'd only suggest spending 3k or so on a 4x4 truck to go from 73s to 10s is not worth it. There is hardly any difference between the 2 and i doubt you'd feel any seat of the pants difference.

Stinks it costs so much after the fact. I think its a $50 option on the window sticker! If you have the choice and 2 identical trucks available I'd opt for the 10s but the 73s have performed well for me.

Id go 4.44 or 4.56 if i ever changed. That you would feel I'm sure. Just my

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I use tow haul mode for anything heavier than about 1,500 lbs. works great!

paul2016megacab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins I6
Id consider an additional transmission cooler if I were towing 10k around.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a dumb question. I have the 1500, so I know very little of the 2500, but I'm curious.

Which 6 speed is in the 2500? It's not the 645RFE, is it?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This is where I would love to feel the difference with a pedal commander......

Might be in my future.

A world of difference with the PC so much easier to maintain speed and get into the torque range with minimal effort. I love mine and probably couldn’t live without it.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Good discussion. I'd only suggest spending 3k or so on a 4x4 truck to go from 73s to 10s is not worth it. There is hardly any difference between the 2 and i doubt you'd feel any seat of the pants difference.

Stinks it costs so much after the fact. I think its a $50 option on the window sticker! If you have the choice and 2 identical trucks available I'd opt for the 10s but the 73s have performed well for me.

Id go 4.44 or 4.56 if i ever changed. That you would feel I'm sure. Just my

I’ve got 3.73’s and 4x4 C/C

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road