towing though traffic??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I've never towed a TT, but I am always very mindful of them. I try to give them room, flash my lights to show them they can move over etc (much like transport trucks). I do have to say though the worst incident with a TT I ever saw was in the country.

I was driving through Northern Quebec and this ******* was passing people when the lanes were merging. Literally he would pull out to pass on the solid white and forcefully utilize the wide safety section after the lanes merge (passing lane undivided highway). He did it to me, I wasn't towing anything so I had plenty of room, still scary though with oncoming traffic.

THEN, he does it to a HD pulling a BIG TT. He literally pushed this truck/trailer off of the road and onto the shoulder at speed. Luckily the rig was able to get back on the road and stabilize. I'm sure he needed a change of underwear after.

The driver was in a small sedan (4 banger) with 5 people in the car and gear on the roof. He seriously should have been using the WHOLE passing lane.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I find people are more courteous when I'm towing my TT than when I'm just in my truck alone. And like some others have said, signal and be deliberate. Sometimes you just have to throw some weight around. It's not like you're going to just starve to death. Someone will eventually let you in :)

And while we're on the topic of bad drivers let me give a shout out to the pathetic slow moving dumb asses up here in Oregon. Of all the states that don't need more slow people we just legalized marijuana :sleepy10::sleepy10:

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best to leave early and give yourself extra time to get to your destination whenever possible. I'm the type that if a person tries to be aggressive and force their way in on me when they could've gotten over a long time ago I won't let them. I'd rather let them cause an accident than give them their selfish way. Especially with the big rigs that think they own the road. If they cause an accident there are plenty of lawyers willing to make the company pay. Always try to get over as soon as you know you'll need to be getting over and don't wait until the last minute. I do practice what I preach also and avoid forcing my way through traffic. Another fun thing to do is when truckers get in the left lane to pass another slow moving truck but take 3 miles to finally get around it causing traffic to back up in both lanes, once they get back into the right lane I like to get in front of them and slow way down. Then once they've down shifted multiple gears I take off like a bat out of hell.

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^Amen, brother. More than a couple cars have found out a Ram with a Hemi pulling a 32' trailer can still keep it's spot in a lane of traffic, and won't let them in (if they're being *****).

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Another fun thing to do is when truckers get in the left lane to pass another slow moving truck but take 3 miles to finally get around it causing traffic to back up in both lanes, once they get back into the right lane I like to get in front of them and slow way down. Then once they've down shifted multiple gears I take off like a bat out of hell.

I don't want to sound preachy, but that's a real good way to get turned into a meat waffle on the grill of a big Pete. What happens if you slow right down and he's looking down at his gauges or drops his cigarette? But I do agree- people need to drive with more respect and not be ***** unless they plan on getting it back.

Anyways, back to the show.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I keep an eye on the rearview mirror. I won't make anyone slam on their brakes or get myself hurt. My point isn't to force someone into an accident. It's to teach them that everyone on the road needs to respect others and to quit acting so high and mighty. And some of the early posts in this thread from those that drive big rigs are exactly why I do what I do. Just because you're bigger doesn't make you a bad ass.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
If you ever come through Houston and come across SilverStreak, you'll be able to get into whichever lane you need.

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I guess I am out in left field on this one. I tend to avoid cities during rush hours. I'll take the bypasses if I have to drive through them. I hang out in the big truck lane. I don't like to be all tense and aggressive. I just hold my line, hold my lane. If there is 3 lanes, I pick the middle - less movement and lane changes there, plus it tends to be a steady speed lane through cities. I don't change lanes unless I have to. Commuter traffic tends to be aggressive with fast last-second big lane changes, even though they travel that route every day.

I prefer to be a defensive driver, always alert to an escape route either side of me, aware of what others are going to do - pretty easy to predict at times. I keep a 4 second or so following distance and I don't tailgate. People are going to cut in front of you and disappear under your hood - it happens, expect it. It isn't about who is biggest, baddest, more aggressive, or whose fault it's going to be. It's about keeping my passengers safe and getting home alive.

Look at truck drivers. Most over the road truckers, with sleepers, tend to be less aggressive and more safe than the day truckers. OTR truckers live and work in their trucks. Day truckers generally tend to be more aggressive and don't give two s_its about safety, they can always work somewhere else. This is why I follow the professionals, and be VERY wary of the amateurs. IMHO.

I have been towing trailers in little trucks for the past 30 years. TT, 5th, and goose. Doesn't make me a good driver, just a lot of experience.

boomyboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
THEN, he does it to a HD pulling a BIG TT. He literally pushed this truck/trailer off of the road and onto the shoulder at speed. Luckily the rig was able to get back on the road and stabilize. I'm sure he needed a change of underwear after.

The driver was in a small sedan (4 banger) with 5 people in the car and gear on the roof. He seriously should have been using the WHOLE passing lane.

The worst is when people have families or friends in their cars and pull these dangerous moves. Not only are they putting themselves at risk, but also their passengers and the other drivers on the road...

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Always fun hooking up to a trailer and put'n the truck to work, heck, that's half the fun for me! Anyways, be aware of your surroundings and when your ready to change lanes, "own it" and folks will let you in. I have found that being assertive, not an a-hole, works well when driving in traffic. Those that drive and have a clue will "get it", the others..........well let's just say they fall into the catagory of operators, not DRIVERS.

My grandfather uttered these words one day and they have stuck with me. I was maybe 13 or so and I made a comment about being able to drive the car and my grandfather turned to me and said in the most serious, yet loving tone, "Danny, you might be able to operate that car but you have no idea how to drive it! There is a distinct difference that you'll learn over time." I remember standing in the driveway hearing this as if it were yesterday.

And for giggles, towed this from ATL to Long Island after Sandy flooded my Uncles house, was fun going over the GW Bridge (I think that's the one I crossed) and merging down into 2 lanes coming out of the tolls. Trailer was 34' hitch to bumper...........what a fun ride that was!!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We just came back from a Colorado to Maryland round trip. November 11-17th. I still stand by my earlier post. Lots of aggressive drivers out there and obviously amateurs. Many folks don't know the first thing about common courtesy, not moving over for vehicles on the side of the road, too many people trying to take out cops that have people pulled over, near misses with DOT workers. Too much to list.

Saw lots of folks that shouldn't have been towing. Saw an overloaded VW something-er-other. Saw one guy that had both sides and the back of his RV trashed from collisions as well has tell-tale bed damage from the 5th wheel trailer slipping off.

Drive your drive. Use your mirrors, a lot. Don't drive while intimidating other drivers like tailgating, never leaving the left lane, forcing them to brake, cutting off truckers or other drivers, etc. If you must, make sure your will is up to date, and if you live, start playing the lottery.

couleeman23

Reaction score
Ram Year
13/14 Ram 1500's
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Lol. 30' tt through Calgary Alberta rush hour. Signal and move. They see that much truck and trailer moving, they move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Set a personal best today. Thanks to a combination of location and timing of a service appt. we got to haul through Tampa rush hour. Morning and afternoon. Both ways. Each time.

"Before you think yer depressed make sure yer not just surrounded by assholes."
~ Ms. Sophia

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Lol. 30' tt through Calgary Alberta rush hour. Signal and move. They see that much truck and trailer moving, they move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've driven Calgary rush hour without a trailer enough to know that would put gray hair on my head. That place is NUTS.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk