Towing tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can get the trailer a little ahead of time take it to a large parking lot and practice backing up and turning corners. You might not plan on having to do any backing up, but things don't always go like planned. The last thing you want is to be backing up and get into a situation you can't get out of. One thing that might help is holding your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go(moving your hand left will be turning the wheel right and the trailer will go left). You may have some tight corners while pulling and you should learn what you need to do on them.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a half ton armoire??? Wow.

I've been towing campers for years. You want 10-15% of the total weight on the tongue. If it's too light, you can get sway pretty easily.

Make sure to load evenly - For example don't put that 1000 lb armoire on one side without 1000 lbs on the other side.

Make sure everything is secure so you don't get load shift on a turn. Most of the rest is common sense like avoiding sudden moves (steering, breaking, etc).

Here are a couple of towing guides to skim through:

Tips on How To Tow a Trailer | etrailer.com

Trailer Loading and Towing Guide

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
To much tongue weight will cause steering issues, to little and you'll sway
Tongue weight is very important

Always watch your mirrors. Constantly check your trailer. Watch your trailer tires when taking turns. If you take it over a curb youll end up bending an axle

Practice backing up, make sure you can do it by just using mirrors

Trailer brakes, test them before you leave, get them to basically lock up and then turn it back just a bit

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of good advice here.

First and foremost, make sure your tires are properly inflated. You don't want to have a blowout pulling a trailer, going 70 down the interstate. Not fun.

I'll add that if you're debating between 2 trailers, get the longer one. Longer trailers are easier to back-up than short ones. Especially when you have a longer truck.

You can still drive normal speeds too, just make sure you leave extra distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. And there will be some jack-wagon that will switch lanes right in front of you and slam on their brakes, so be watching for that.

If you're renting a U-haul, I'm fairly certain they all have surge brakes. They take some getting use to. They're not as good as electric brakes, but they do their job ok.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do nothing but tow with my ram and my past tow trucks. Yes you will need a brake controller and brakes on the trailer. I would deffinatly go two axle trailer a single axle with that much weight single will bounce a lot. I would recommend dual torsion springs over tandem leaf for ride comfort if possible. A V-Nose trailer would also be a plus. MAKE SURE you set your brake controller for your load before you go and make sure your trailer is level with the ground even if the truck is not completely level. Also make sure that your weight is distributed good in the trailer. Not to much weight to one side or on the back of the trailer. Too much weight on the back and not enough on the tongue will result in hi speed death wobble. I have many other pointer also just ask if I have not covered anything.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
backing up a trailer is a ***** for the inexperienced

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
backing up a trailer is a ***** for the inexperienced

Hahaha I've learned that the hard way. Yeah, always make sure the trailer tires are good because I once had two blowouts and had some 55 gallon steel barrels fly out and miss cars by a hair..

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You guys are making an awfully big deal of this. You have a full size truck, 2900lbs is nothing, especially with a hemi and a fairly long wheelbase truck. Just use some common sense when loading your trailer. If you load it and your truck is really squating then move some of the heavier stuff back farther in the trailer and if the truck is not squating at all move some stuff closer to the front. Since you are new to towing just give yourself more room on the road and just take backing up slow and GOAL, (get out and look). Don't assume anything if you can't see it. As for the tow mirrors you definitly don't need them for an enclosed trailer, keep your money for something else. Those pictures comparing the stock mirrors to the tow mirrors are looking at a camper. An enclosed trailer is not nearly that wide. A camper is just as wide as the tires where an enclosed trailer is between the tires, so the body isn't nearly as wide to see around. I actually have the stock mirrors and don't have any trouble seeing around my 30' toy hauler camper. I know towing seems scary for someone who hasn't done it but just make sure and take your time and use common sense!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Depends on the width of the trailer I like towing a 7ft wide perfect for my 1500 with non extending mirrors. The one I towed was a universal brand trailer. I once towed an 8.5ft continental cargo and hated it too wide and rode like crap and I think extendable towing mirrors would have been nice.

$miley

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
You guys are making an awfully big deal of this. You have a full size truck, 2900lbs is nothing, especially with a hemi and a fairly long wheelbase truck. Just use some common sense when loading your trailer. If you load it and your truck is really squating then move some of the heavier stuff back farther in the trailer and if the truck is not squating at all move some stuff closer to the front. Since you are new to towing just give yourself more room on the road and just take backing up slow and GOAL, (get out and look). Don't assume anything if you can't see it. As for the tow mirrors you definitly don't need them for an enclosed trailer, keep your money for something else. Those pictures comparing the stock mirrors to the tow mirrors are looking at a camper. An enclosed trailer is not nearly that wide. A camper is just as wide as the tires where an enclosed trailer is between the tires, so the body isn't nearly as wide to see around. I actually have the stock mirrors and don't have any trouble seeing around my 30' toy hauler camper. I know towing seems scary for someone who hasn't done it but just make sure and take your time and use common sense!

X2!

S

scotts2012ram

For me I never could backup a trailer tell I got my 5x8 there a pain in the a** but now after I can back the bigger trailers like nothing. Maybe if someone u know has one try it out it helped me. Like they said with the front wight u need it I just make shore my truck sits down some. If your trucks not leveled out with the empty trailer level it with the wight its always worked for me. On turning I swing wide my thinking is I'd rather look funny than smash or break something.

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He said he was going to buy tow mirrors anyway, so he might as well have them before he tows. And while I agree that he'll be able to see around the trailer fine with stock mirrors, there will still be a blind spot which the tow mirrors will correct.

I've pulled a camper, car trailer, and enclosed trailer with my old Sierra 2500 without tow mirrors without any trouble. But it sure would've been nicer with them.

And I agree with whoever said to make sure you trailer is level when loaded. Otherwise it will be a squirrely ****. Since half ton's squat so much, it'll probably be nose high when empty, but that's okay.

Last edited:

CrazyBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Backing the trailer is all about predicting where it's going to go. Get it pointed where you want it and chase the trailer. If you have to back it up through too many corners be prepaired to have a tired arm.

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like I said you shouldn't have any trouble with the 2900lb trailer. This is a pictue of my express with my 30' toy hauler. It has no trouble at all with it, weighs in about 8500lbs without a whole lot of stuff add another 500 to 1000lbs when I put in the atvs and all other supplies.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 56

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Backing a trailer: To go right - turn the wheel left. To go left - turn the wheel right while backing up. Practice is the only advice I can give ya lol

cant stress this enough. I tow a small trailer pretty regularly when we go riding and i still get confused. you just have to think opposite.

and like said earlier I would pick a lane and stay there.

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You turn the bottom of the wheel direction you want trailer to go.

Setup is 90% of a backing maneuver. Always try to set up to back straight.

Make gradual corrections to avoid "jacking and chasing."

Slow and easy. No need to run 100 mph in reverse. Use a spotter as well.

I'm a trucker so I back 53' trailers all day long.

Good luck.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All good advice. Practice is the only way to really learn though. I grew up a farm kid so I have been backing trailers since I was a kid. Behind tractors etc... Backing rack wagons is a nightmare. (two pivot point instead of one) It just takes time to learn it but you will. And like others have said. Go slow. No reason to hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You turn the bottom of the wheel direction you want trailer to go.

Setup is 90% of a backing maneuver. Always try to set up to back straight.

Make gradual corrections to avoid "jacking and chasing."

Slow and easy. No need to run 100 mph in reverse. Use a spotter as well.

I'm a trucker so I back 53' trailers all day long.

Good luck.

Would you concur that longer trailers are easier to manage though? They tend to move slower.. harder to see around though I guess. I personally prefer backing up a 30 ft trailer, rather than a 10 ft or 15 ft cargo trailer..