Track/power mods, worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
We took a bone stock 2012 crew cab to the track in December of last year, and he went from a 15.1 with the stock intake to a 14.8 with the Vararam. This was done on the same night, on the same truck. This was also before the tuners were working properly, so he was on stock tuning. We also saw a consistent .1-.2 drop in ET on 3 different trucks running our 85mm throttle body...also on stock tuning.

Calling BS on you Matt,15.1 to 14.8 was more due to temp drop and humidity increasing by the time you had the swap done,and a .1 differance is virtually impossibble to document.

Ran my 4.7 with 1600 dollars worth of bolt-ons against a bone stock 4.7 and until i hit 4,000 rpm i didn't have any gains,and even after 4,000 i only had maybe a fender on him.
1600 bucks should of done more

Matt you were bragging to me about how you're on track to make $800,000 to a $1,000,000 this year,maybe rent a stock truck and some dyno time and spend some of that pile of money doing tests on a bone stock truck,starting with a tuner then adding the average bolt-ons piece by piece and giving us the honest answer on where the most value for money spent is available

BRH yes we know you've spent a ****load of money and have a fast truck,doesn't really apply to this post bud.
I had 5,000 invested in a 74 AMC Hornet and that included buying the car, that went corrected 11.3's at 120,that applies just about as much as your truck applies here.
It went faster then your truck for less then you spent on parts for your truck,and if you want to go even faster,buy a bike.
I also had $40,000 into a 68 Camaro that went 10.70's in the 80's,does that also apply

You are either forgetting or totally dismissing that BEFORE I ran my supercharger, (that's only been on for 6 weeks now)
I raced it HARD for over three years totally NA long before boosting it, likely accumulated over 300 track slips in that time.
I turned my truck from a stock 15.5 second brick to a 13.8 beast with the VERY same "BS" bolt on's you're bashing Matt over.

Intake, Exhaust,Tuner (The Big Three) got me a full second faster (14.5's) in my first season
and THAT was on heavier than stock 305/50R20 Terra Grapples.

Slapped on a set of sticky DR's got it into the 13's the very next year
with a Y pipe and a bored out TB (13.89/98.5 at 2500' DA) May 13/2011

Do you really think that's unreasonable for gains vs $ spent?
It's a freaking 5300lb + Truck, a 4x4 on huge tires/wheels
... not a light weight sports/muscle car.

Look at the Ram Fastest 4G track list and ask yourself,
How many at the top half of the list run a Stock Air Box, Stock Exhaust and No Tuner???

Now go to the other boards and check out their list
almost everyone who posts time slips has a mod list in their sig line.

NAdodge
DodgeTalk
RamFoumz

How many of those trucks run top tier bone stock, nada
EVERYONE has built their trucks starting with the same 3 mods you're knocking.

Just because you had bad luck with your choices, everyone else is wrong?

WTF Dude?!?!?

Maybe it's time to step up to a Hemi
if your little 4.7 is making you such a hater

:buttkick:

Last edited:

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
doesn't take long to swap TB's or the Vararam. here's what i pulled up on dragtimes regarding the weather data for the Houston area for last night. not sure if the weather change within one hour would be that drastic to change the ET that much. how many passes could one get in an hour? i could see you getting at least 2 easily

posting a vendor's profits/margins/revenue seems like a low blow to me. but if what you are saying is true, do you think he would've raked in $800K-$1M by selling expensive paper weights? doubt it.

when i have my 2000 V6 Ram i modded it with what i could and had minimal gains. if i would've had a 5.2 or 5.9, and modded it the same way i would've had more gains. apples and oranges. modding a 4.7 won't yield the same gains as modding a 5.7

Attachments

• drag times.jpg
    drag times.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have never seen someone try so hard to **** in other people's cheerios. It seems like some people want to get on a soapbox and preach to people about how right they are. Anyone who wants to sit here and say bolt ons do nothing and are a waste of money can go kick rocks. People have been buying them and using them for decades, I guess by now everyone should have realized they were just a scam? (sarcasm) It just sounds like there are some guys that are butthurt that they spent some money and it didnt give their truck 600 hp. When modifying a vehicle you have to have realistic expectations, and it really seems to me some overly high expectations were dashed and now the only way to feel ok about is to complain and try to deterr other people from buying things for their truck.

Ill be the other side, along with many others, to say buy as much stuff as you can afford to anyone looking. IMO the bolt ons are worth every penny, I have less than 1K in performance stuff from Moe's and my truck has been transformed completely. You cant expect a throttle body and muffler to turn your truck into a monster and IMO you will never see much of anything without a tuner. Anything combined with even a nice canned tune completely transforms these trucks. People who dont have specific experience first hand with a motor, powertrain, vehicle etc shouldnt be serving up their garbage opinions on something they dont even know about.

The thing I find most disgraceful is people bashing vendors and basically claiming they are liars and cheats. Apparently some of you have never done business with Moe's on here. Matt is always around to support his customers, give them advice, and give people choices. His prices are top notch, shipping is fast and free, and after the purchase customer service is equally as good. I have never, on all the different forums i have been around, seen the vendor involvement that I do here. Apparently their repayment for all this effort is for people to say that their strip and dyno claims and flase and that they are scamming people. Way to make yourself look like a douche :Violin:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
maybe rent a stock truck and some dyno time and spend some of that pile of money doing tests on a bone stock truck,starting with a tuner then adding the average bolt-ons piece by piece and giving us the honest answer on where the most value for money spent is available

That is what I did with my own 03 hemi when these parts were first available...that is what got me to where I am now. I bought an 03 hemi when these trucks first came out. Bone stock, I ran a 15.6 and only made 260hp/298 tq. I then added an intake and cutout and went 15.2 and put down 272hp/310tq. From there, I added a superchips tuner along with a set of longtube headers and made 307hp/351tq and was running 13.9's. Temps were cooler on the 13.9 runs, so I'm sure there was a couple tenths in the mix because of weather between the 15.2 and the 13.9 passes. After this, I installed a converter, e-fan, and 6.1 cam and made 344hp/357tq and got down to a 13.35 in the 1/4 mile. I ran 8 different intake setups including a few that I made myself, 4 different sets of headers, ran 2 different brand cutouts, 3 different mufflers, tried high flow cats as well as running with stock cats and no cats, 3 different tuners, 4 different tq converters, tried 3 different sets of drag radials, ran 4 different sets of track wheels, even had a set of front wheels narrowed to run a 5" wide front tire, tried 3.92 and 4.56 gears, went through 3 different cam swaps, 2 different sets of ported heads, ran 3 different nitrous setups, and finished it off with the truck being only the 2nd hemi truck to convert to a stroker build. The testing I did long before you and many other members were on the forums is why I am here today.

The biggest benefit of buying from Moe's is that you are buying from a company that has run and tested every part that we sell. There are a thousand other places that you can buy the same parts from, but those companies are going to read the product description off the manufacturer's website or just tell you what description their computer screen shows them. It's nice to be able to talk to a crew that has installed the parts, run them on the dyno, run them at the track, driven the trucks under normal street driving, off road driving, as well as heavy towing. We have done all the testing to make the mod choices easier for the end customer that does not have the time or money to go through as many parts as I did on my 03. Our #1 goal has always been to be the most knowledgeable Hemi performance vendor that ensures every customer is happy with each part they purchase. We have about 3,000 customers that will attest to this just as the members have just done before this post. I want to thank you guys for your support.

OP
OP
C

Criscone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This got ugly quick.. Just found out my truck is a one wheel peel POS. did some pre-track test today. Not happy about that!

When you purchase tuner can you later change it when you add other parts? Talking about hemifever

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
When you purchase a tuner with Hemifever tuning, you will get free updates for as long as you own the truck. That is something that is very hard to find when it comes to custom tuning. He is also very quick to respond, so you will usually have your new tune either same day or next day.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you purchase tuner can you later change it when you add other parts? Talking about hemifever

yes, and that's exactly how i've done my "build". if i remember right, i had the exhaust, cai and tb when i got his tune. then later came the lt headers, tc, vb, cutout, efan. i told hemifever about it, ran some data logs for him, sent me another tune. around November or so, i will be installing my lsd and gears. not sure if he needs to tweak anything then, but i will hit him up about it.

TheBlackHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow we have some cut throat people since I left.....Matt is top notch don't know why all the hate Hornet. Almost a year later I'm still the only bolt on CC to get into the 13s and that was using all the mods your pissed about.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Wow we have some cut throat people since I left.....Matt is top notch don't know why all the hate Hornet. Almost a year later I'm still the only bolt on CC to get into the 13s and that was using all the mods your pissed about.

You hit 13.8 in your big truck, and that was the only time you raced it in decent air before selling, right? I think you still had a little more in it.

TheBlackHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You hit 13.8 in your big truck, and that was the only time you raced it in decent air before selling, right? I think you still had a little more in it.

Yeah it was a 13.8 and with those rev limiter issues Diablo was still having back in Dec.....the Da was a little over a thousand that night. If I would have ran it with the tuning issues fix and in 50 degree with I'm sure I had 13.5-13.6s in it. I still have my truck (my DD) though I just sold all my performance parts when Dave (whitelightning) trashed my tranny back in April. I now have a 700whp 2013 mustang to fill my need for speed. It's a much different animal going from 13s to 10s (working on 9s) in a few months lol.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, 9's and 10's is crazy talk! i couldn't imagine going that fast.

TheBlackHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah 0-136 mph in 10.3sec can get your adrenaline pumping haha

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Did you go turbo? I have a few friends that went 12.6-12.7 bone stock in their 5.0's are were pushing low 12's with just an intake, exhaust, and tune.

TheBlackHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No centrifugal....they want to much for twin turbo set-ups right now. I got a Paxton 2200sl(head unit good for 1000rwhp), with ID1000 injectors, and fuel return system with twin 465 walbro pumps running E85 for less than the cost of twins.

I put down 703rwhp and 550tq the other day on the dyno, with a few more tweaks once I get it back to the track I should knock off a little more off my ET hopefully break into the 9s or low 10s. They just came out with a wastegate set-up for the Paxton last week so when I get that slapped on next month I should be in the 9s.....All testing showed a .3-.4 off the ET plus a 5mph gain on the trap speed.

Here's my last dyno....this vid was showing the gains I got by switching tuners. Patrick from PSI motorsports can't tune these new 5.0s for ****, I got a guy out of Cali to remote tune it and without a doubt he's got these 5.0s down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqibt6UZLRI

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
just keep by bike around for when I need to go fast! Its a 2007 ZX14 Special Edition. Power up to around 215hp with mild bolt-ons and weight cut to 391lbs. With a 1 1/2" drop and straps ran a best of 9.028 @ 155 on a Conti touring tire haha. I am still shooting for my truck to make 13s and will get there sometime soon...on bolt-ons no less! Needing a good tuner. I will be hitting you up soon Moe! I had a Superchips on my 2011 and did feel some gains, but truck would bog for a second after shifts and lost 6 mpgs so it went back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davesgarage24