Trade my 2018 for a 2022 Power Wagon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
A local dealer has a fully loaded 2022 PW in stock
The only thing that my truck has that the 2022 doesn't is the sun roof, which I don't really use

The things that I don't like about my PW seem to have been addressed with the newer models
Better headlights (I think)
Locking Diff in 2WD or 4 Hi
No more 6 speed transmission

My truck is
2018 Power Wagon, fully loaded
Carli Back Country suspension
35" Toyo MT's
Diablosport tune

I'm curious though, do the 2022's get better mileage than the pre '19 models with the 6 speed transmission?

I'm currently getting around 12 on the highway if I take it easy, goes down to 10.2 or so in town
Lots of elevation changes on the road here. I might get better mileage if I were on flatter ground.....
I know........It's about the "Smiles," not the miles.......

My truck is paid off with really low miles, just wondering if the grass is greener I guess

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, the truck will get a bit better mileage…all depends on how you are driving. The 8 speed wagons can still get terrible milage, though, they just have the possibility of doing “okay” if trying.

More-so than the mpg benefit, to me, would be the upgrade to the 8 speed trans. I can not stand this 6 speed.

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm there with you....
Although, with the Diablosport tune, it's a little better
Just seems like the truck is always searching for the right gear

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agreed the six sucks. I’m trading my 18 for a 2022 level 3. Are you going to get any deal on the 2022 though? What kinda trade numbers?

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks Grand Mesa, great information

No matter what you drive the best mileage occurs when it's downhill.
This one almost made my coffee come out my nose though!

My wife's Eco Diesel got 27.5 in 4 High all the way back in a snow storm the day that we bought it.
On Saturday, it peaked at 31 MPG in 2 wheel drive and a rain storm coming back from getting her wallet.
I gotta say I'm pretty jealous......

My choices are:
Keep the PW and get an Eco Diesel Rebel as well for a daily driver
They have 2 Rebels in stock with the 5.7L gas engine and should have the Eco Diesel later this week
Great truck, but it feels like a downgrade......
I told my wife that her truck is like a scalpel (tight and precise) and mine is a jack hammer

Trade the PW for one that has hopefully fixed most of the few gripes that I have with mine and don't worry about the gas
The new PW is Delmonico Red, which looks sexy! But I would definitely need the ceramic coat! It's wet and muddy or snowy and icy up here for months at a time and my garage isn't big enough for a Power Wagon

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just going on anecdotal evidence from what I have read around the interwebs but I would not expect much increase in mpg's with the new truck, surely not worth trading in just for that. I do think the drivability will be better with the 8 speed though and there are some new creature comfort/tech items that are pretty cool on the new trucks.

Biggest question is price? Absolutely terrible time to be buying right now, especially "off the lot" I don't imagine they are budging off MSRP if not over that. Yes you will get more for your trade but at the end of the day it's probably still a bad financial decision.
I'd love a new truck right now (like not need) but we are putting off all big purchases unless absolutely necessary until things "normalize" (what ever that will look like?).

Just food for thought....

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just going on anecdotal evidence from what I have read around the interwebs but I would not expect much increase in mpg's with the new truck, surely not worth trading in just for that. I do think the drivability will be better with the 8 speed though and there are some new creature comfort/tech items that are pretty cool on the new trucks.

Biggest question is price? Absolutely terrible time to be buying right now, especially "off the lot" I don't imagine they are budging off MSRP if not over that. Yes you will get more for your trade but at the end of the day it's probably still a bad financial decision.
I'd love a new truck right now (like not need) but we are putting off all big purchases unless absolutely necessary until things "normalize" (what ever that will look like?).

Just food for thought....

Definitely understand this!
It's not really about the mileage, that's a curiosity to me.
I just read that the new PW is supposed to get "12 city/18 highway/15 combined MPG"

I think that it's a great time to upgrade if a person can get a great trade in and a decent deal though.
We got $46,500 for my wife's 2016 diesel 2500 4x4 Laramie
If it didn't have body damage and a Car Fax claim, we could have gotten around $50k for it
The body damage would have cost us $5,000 to fix, so not a loss for us. Plus, she has a truck that's much easier to park and gets twice the fuel mileage!

I'm thinking that things aren't going back to an semblance of "Normal" for a while so might as well live a little.
But, I'm still working and not retired. If I were in a different place in life, I would most likely be extremely frugal right now!

:Big Laugh: Another thought is.....I keep the PW I have and buy a Barrett.......:biggun:

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would love to get that kind of mileage!
Where in Montana are you?
Is that mountain pass mileage? Or mostly highway?

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The Jake Brake is the only thing that my wife misses about having the Rebel now instead of the Cummins

I think the 8 speed Power Wagon is right up my alley

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would love to get that kind of mileage!
Where in Montana are you?
Is that mountain pass mileage? Or mostly highway?
Missoula so you are either going up or down. Into the wind or a side wind never a tail wind :). People who think Montana does not have city driving have never driven in Missoula it is grid lock most of the time :). Sure I can get 12mpg if I try by driving 80+ or by romping the throttle from red lights but I prefer to drive 75 and under and it does great. I don't feel the need to beat the duramax or cummins or powerstroke off the line when they pull up next to me. I regularly drive to Bozeman and Boise as my daughters live there. Taking Highway 12/95/55 to Boise driving 5mph over the speed limits ie 55/70mph I get over 17mpg hand figured. Going to Bozeman driving the speed limit ie 75-80mph 13 to 14mpg. less going then coming back because slightly up hill. this is with 35's and speedo and odometer corrected via procal snap and both speed and odometer are spot on.
Even with a GFC got that mpg. Did a 3000 mile trip to south east Minn and hit both Dakotas and Wyoming and always drove speed limit to 5mph over and really only bad mpg was in Minn and that was still around 13mpg. it was odd because Minn was flat and had slower speed limits but the gas I guess sucked.

Attachments

• DF11B3DB-5772-4AD1-9842-03E8653AA064.jpeg
    DF11B3DB-5772-4AD1-9842-03E8653AA064.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 29
  • E594E849-10FA-4557-A2EB-BDEF6FDBD037.jpeg
    E594E849-10FA-4557-A2EB-BDEF6FDBD037.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Right on, thanks for the info guys and the video!
We're in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. It's more like rolling hills, with an occasional steep mountain pass where we're at. Nothing like Colorado passes! Nothing like Missoula traffic, although Coeur D'Alene traffic can suck!

I would be a happy man if I got 17 MPG at 70 miles an hour in a Power Wagon with the same 35" Toyo MT tires!

TRad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here in Minnesota its mostly flat around the cities. The 6 seed seams fine. When i went to 35" i did notice a little more down shifting at times but nothing to complain about. I do have the speedo calibrated with AlfaOBD.
When i did take my trip out to Breckenridge a few weeks ago that is when the 6 speed struggled a bit. Major headwind across Nebraska had a truck down shifting often. 75mph around 1800-2000rpm was the sweet spot for happy driving. Driving around in the mountains all week had the transmission working overtime. I think i would want the 8 speed if i lived out their full time. Just my .02

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well.....the truck that I was looking at has already sold.....
Pretty crazy how fast things are selling right now! I guess limited supply and long build times are making people antsy!
I told the dealer that if the person that put a deposit on the truck doesn't end up buying it to let me know.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right on, thanks for the info guys and the video!
We're in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. It's more like rolling hills, with an occasional steep mountain pass where we're at. Nothing like Colorado passes! Nothing like Missoula traffic, although Coeur D'Alene traffic can suck!

I would be a happy man if I got 17 MPG at 70 miles an hour in a Power Wagon with the same 35" Toyo MT tires!
you are close. We camp at Lake Pend Oreille around Hope and run to Bonners Ferry from time to time. I am sure you have checked out dave smith. they have a bunch coming in.