Trade my 2018 for a 2022 Power Wagon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure yet. I have to drive mine down there and have them appraise it.
Well Shoot for 50 or better if it's loaded. maybe more depending on where you are at. I'm getting 48500 and aside from a RamBox mine doesn't have a ton of options.

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
you are close. We camp at Lake Pend Oreille around Hope and run to Bonners Ferry from time to time. I am sure you have checked out dave smith. they have a bunch coming in.
Dave Smith is where we got my wife's truck on Thursday of last week.
We had to go back on Saturday because she forgot her wallet there.....
We met a couple from Missoula in the Parts Department. Small world!

After talking tonight, we are probably going to sink the truck money into a chunk of land this year and buy a new PW when they are available

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The last time I got 17 MPG in my 2016 Power Wagon was on the OEM Duratrac tires in summer. Driving from Sheridan, Wyoming to Portland, OR on a city street in Butte I punctured through one with a pebble between the tread blocks. Did it again not long afterwards. Drove through Missoula down to Highway 12. A nice city with lots of people and traffic packed all together, but surrounded by gobs of open space. My youngest' fiance wants to move there. They were living in Sheridan.

Even the 35 12.50R17 Duratrac tires are 9 pounds lighter in weight than my 35 inch Toyo C/T's which weigh in at 77 pounds each. The 35 12.50R17 Toyo R/T's that "retired" runs weigh in at 74 pounds, but your 35 12.50R17 Toyo M/T's are the heaviest at 78 pounds. Besides the added rotational mass weight the M/T's, they're a lot more aggressive than our Toyo's which cuts MPG. Don't expect good gas mileage with a heavy aggressive tread tire on any year of Power Wagon.
I actually wanted the RT's, but in today's world, you gotta take what's available......
The good news is, our street is icy and I don't have to put it in 4 High to get out of my driveway!
The MT's are nice and aggressive!

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually wanted the RT's, but in today's world, you gotta take what's available......
The good news is, our street is icy and I don't have to put it in 4 High to get out of my driveway!
The MT's are nice and aggressive!
funny I wanted Toyo MT's and had to take RT's lol. I would have take MT's in either 285/75-17 or 35/12.5-17 but none were available anywhere. I really like the RT's but would have preferred MT's.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Even at same mpg, the 8 speed transmission makes the truck feel like a brand new ride. You’ll get a little better mpg, but upgrade for the transmission alone. And you’ll get a few other nice features as well. If the redesign was 1-2 years away I would say wait, but it’s not till 2027ish.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Toyo M/T's, R/T's, and A/T III tires are well known in the USA, not the C/T's. If you need to replace fast a 35 12.50R17 Open Country tire anywhere near Grand Junction and nearby Moab, the C/T's wouldn't be it. Mine were shipped in from far out of state. It's not overnight delivery. It took over a week for special order tires.
I have had several sets of Toyo AT2,s MTs, AT3's and RT's. I have a tire addiction. C/T's were one of those tires that just have never been on my radar altho I know they are good tires and would be better on the winter roads than either MTs or RTs

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Missoula so you are either going up or down. Into the wind or a side wind never a tail wind :). People who think Montana does not have city driving have never driven in Missoula it is grid lock most of the time :). Sure I can get 12mpg if I try by driving 80+ or by romping the throttle from red lights but I prefer to drive 75 and under and it does great. I don't feel the need to beat the duramax or cummins or powerstroke off the line when they pull up next to me. I regularly drive to Bozeman and Boise as my daughters live there. Taking Highway 12/95/55 to Boise driving 5mph over the speed limits ie 55/70mph I get over 17mpg hand figured. Going to Bozeman driving the speed limit ie 75-80mph 13 to 14mpg. less going then coming back because slightly up hill. this is with 35's and speedo and odometer corrected via procal snap and both speed and odometer are spot on.
Even with a GFC got that mpg. Did a 3000 mile trip to south east Minn and hit both Dakotas and Wyoming and always drove speed limit to 5mph over and really only bad mpg was in Minn and that was still around 13mpg. it was odd because Minn was flat and had slower speed limits but the gas I guess sucked.
Forget about gas mileage and transmissions... tell me more about your GFC!! I already have a very nice truck camper with all the amenities someone needs to travel and live comfortably but the camper is being used by my son in a stationary position now and I would like something new. I just need to sleep and be able to stand up. Any insight would be appreciated as I am sure you did a bunch of research before you made the purchase.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forget about gas mileage and transmissions... tell me more about your GFC!! I already have a very nice truck camper with all the amenities someone needs to travel and live comfortably but the camper is being used by my son in a stationary position now and I would like something new. I just need to sleep and be able to stand up. Any insight would be appreciated as I am sure you did a bunch of research before you made the purchase.

I actually just sold it. I really liked it but my wife wants a little more comfort. I was a bit of a pain crawling out in the middle of the night. we are in our 60's. so while for one person it was awesome for two not so convenient. GFC is a super cool company made ~200 miles from me in Belgrade MT and they have great customer service. I am already selling it. lol. super easy to set up. I have been looking for a FWC to take its place. having a little more traditional sleeping arrangement would be nicer. If just one person you can crawl down via inside but with two you really need the ladder on the outside.

E1047FAD-CDD0-4E6E-8050-6A5BDDC80A8E.jpeg9EF862DE-D2EA-4AB5-B345-BDE2C8EF1E3B.jpegFB3001B1-C0EB-496E-A246-27ED93081986.jpegFC8A14A6-5324-4AF4-AFCB-9007DB9E2B64.jpeg452B7808-867B-4DD7-9647-3A0304627236.jpeg

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't wait too long to pull the trigger. Used truck values are sky high right now and the only issue with getting the newer one is getting what you want in a scarcely populated inventory situation. I certainly wouldn't try and wait til things get anywhere close to normal, not going to happen anytime soon at all.

JeepingNet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've been test driving PWs and this weekend drove a 2018 then a 2019 back to back. The 2018 did look like it lived a bit harder life but I was shocked at how much better the 2019 drove overall. The 2019 was quite a bit more money but I think it is worth it.

I called this morning to buy the 2019 and it sold.. It was the only 2019+ PW for sale within 5 hours of me.. Dealership is telling me its 6+ months to order one and if I order I am limited in the options I pick.

I am debating a Rebel G/T that my dealership has in stock. That G/T package is pretty nice!

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I could get any option I wanted. If you order do it quick. They only make so many wagons a year. I ordered in November and it’s already gearing up for production. If one dealer can get the options you want try another. Keep in mind I didn’t get all that camera **** or adaptive cruise control. Don’t get a rebel. They are cool but way over priced.

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I could get any option I wanted. If you order do it quick. They only make so many wagons a year. I ordered in November and it’s already gearing up for production. If one dealer can get the options you want try another. Keep in mind I didn’t get all that camera **** or adaptive cruise control. Don’t get a rebel. They are cool but way over priced.
That's good news! I was told that 2500's take about 4-6 months by the largest dealer in my area.....

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's good news! I was told that 2500's take about 4-6 months by the largest dealer in my area.....
My neighbor is the RAM GM and he said it was really tough getting HD trucks, he was amazed when our other neighbor was able to get his Ford F250 in exactly 8 weeks from time of order, he said that was not something RAM could do right now.. He said he can get jeeps and 1500's no problem but HD are taking a long time to get in. He did say there is not a limit put on PW per se. He said they do not limit orders on them.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wonder if it's just that many people don't buy them then? The number seems to vary from year to year. I just kind of assumed there was some truth to it seeing I could get one in the options I wanted from some dealers and not others.... weird. Either way I would pay the money for a rebel when you can get a power wagon for damn near the same price. I suppose gas will be a bit better and probably the ride but you'll lift it more than likely which costs more money. Might as well just get a wagon.

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wow, I would certainly like to be sitting on one of those 6 speed manuals from 2009! :cool: