Trailer Brake Controller and Parksense Sensors not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey yall, I have a few question regarding my 2013 ram 1500, 5.7.

I am going to be doing a cross country tow in the next few months, 4,000 pound travel trailer. My ram is equipped with factory trailer brake controller. I haven't used in it a while, but when it did work, I remember that on the dash screen, it would indicate the brake percentage you are applying. On my last attempt to use the controller, the screen did not indicate any percentage of use. I tried to test if it was working by getting in a flat parking lot, letting off the brake pedal, and applying the trailer brake. No braking was applied. Does anyone know how I should start to troubleshoot this issue?

My second question is that I am getting a "service parksense sensor," warning on my dash upon startup. They are not working. Should I just take them off and clean them? I am just getting reading to sort out all of my issues and I was curious if anyone had gone through that.

Thank you all for your time and help!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This list of fuses I know is good for at least a '14 and newer but be close apply to yours:
F53 ATR 20 amp Left Trailer lights
F81 ATR 20 amp Right Trailer lights
F29 FFM 20 amp Trailer Park lights
F28 FFM 20 amp Trailer Back up lights
F30 FFM 30 amp Direct from battery
F11 J Case 30 amp Brake Lever
F87 ATR 10 amp ITBM module

If you have the Multi-page EVIC, the trailer brake page should pop up if you slide the manual lever even without a trailer connected. If not I would suspect an issue with the module??

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This list of fuses I know is good for at least a '14 and newer but be close apply to yours:
F53 ATR 20 amp Left Trailer lights
F81 ATR 20 amp Right Trailer lights
F29 FFM 20 amp Trailer Park lights
F28 FFM 20 amp Trailer Back up lights
F30 FFM 30 amp Direct from battery
F11 J Case 30 amp Brake Lever
F87 ATR 10 amp ITBM module

If you have the Multi-page EVIC, the trailer brake page should pop up if you slide the manual lever even without a trailer connected. If not I would suspect an issue with the module??

Damn, I finally got around to checking all of those fuses and they all look good. The trailer brake info pops up when I slide the lever. Just to actuation of the trailer brake percentage going up...

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, I finally got around to checking all of those fuses and they all look good. The trailer brake info pops up when I slide the lever. Just to actuation of the trailer brake percentage going up...

But it at least verifies the brake controller and module are working. Makes me suspect the trailer wiring.

As for the park sensors, does your truck start and have an error? On the panel under the radio are the lights on indicating they sensors are disabled?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The trailer brake info pops up when I slide the lever. Just to actuation of the trailer brake percentage going up
Try hooking the trailer up with the truck running, actuate the brakes once or twice then without shutting the truck off, disconnect the trailer, you should get a red "no trailer" indicator light on the dash. If not check the trailer brakes and wiring. If you do get the icon, the brakes may be way out of adjustment or a mechanical issue with them.

OP
OP
A

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But it at least verifies the brake controller and module are working. Makes me suspect the trailer wiring.

As for the park sensors, does your truck start and have an error? On the panel under the radio are the lights on indicating they sensors are disabled?

When I start the truck, the error message pops up on my dash. I cleaned all the connections on the four sensors in the back. The lights indicating that the sensors are disabled is not on/

OP
OP
A

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try hooking the trailer up with the truck running, actuate the brakes once or twice then without shutting the truck off, disconnect the trailer, you should get a red "no trailer" indicator light on the dash. If not check the trailer brakes and wiring. If you do get the icon, the brakes may be way out of adjustment or a mechanical issue with them.

I just did this, and I did not see the indicator light pop up. I don't ever recall seeing this light, even when everything was working correctly. I'll go ahead and check the wiring. Hopefully I can get it done on or before the weekend. My camper is also very light, so maybe I can jack up one of the wheels and put a brick or something on my trucks break and see if that stops the wheel from spinning, just to troubleshoot it another way?