Trailer Brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olivercripe93920

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay. Question for everyone and your help would be so appreciated. Things are really busy right now and I’m hoping this is a relatively easy fix. I have a tandem dump trailer that has had full functionality with all other trucks that have pulled it. However, with this new to me 2016 Big Horn, the trailer brakes completely lock up when the 7pin is in and the truck is on. All the lights work just fine but the truck simply won’t release the trailer brakes unless the harness is disconnected. The truck acknowledges there is a trailer brake fault as indicated by the dash display. Any advice on what to try would be awesome. (I already tried to have my friend check the #4 pin with a multimeter and it stayed at 1 volt the whole time with adjusting all settings…not sure if that tells me anything)

Thanks in advance!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does your BigHorn have a Trailer Brake Controller thats mounted on the Dash, It has the Gain squeeze function and it has to be programed in the BCM I believe and what kind of brakes the trailer has ( Surge, Electric over hydraulic etc.) Some trailers have there own 12v battery for brakes and lights make sure that battery is charged up, you need 12v to release the brakes.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Okay. Question for everyone and your help would be so appreciated. Things are really busy right now and I’m hoping this is a relatively easy fix. I have a tandem dump trailer that has had full functionality with all other trucks that have pulled it. However, with this new to me 2016 Big Horn, the trailer brakes completely lock up when the 7pin is in and the truck is on. All the lights work just fine but the truck simply won’t release the trailer brakes unless the harness is disconnected. The truck acknowledges there is a trailer brake fault as indicated by the dash display. Any advice on what to try would be awesome. (I already tried to have my friend check the #4 pin with a multimeter and it stayed at 1 volt the whole time with adjusting all settings…not sure if that tells me anything)

Thanks in advance!
Hey. Check the trailer settings in the EVIC or the radio depending on the radio. If all of your settings are performed in the EVIC go to settings and look for the trailer settings. Choose the one that matches your trailer.

In the 7-way connector pin #4 is the auxiliary 12-volt power source. Pin #2 is what you need to test for trailer brake voltage which is the bottom right pin. I'm guessing that either the EVIC settings are incorrect if the trailer brakes work properly with every other truck.

1628213736282.png

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my son had the same problem when he had a '16 or '17 laramie. had to make a correction to the wiring when he bought a travel trailer. no problem with his '20 or my '19 so must have been a problem of that model year.