Trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aram guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 i just bought that has the 392 rear end but no trailer brake controller. My question is if i install a trailer brake controller would it matter if it is a MOPAR part or can it be after market? Will the after market (off brand) perform the same and be programmable with no issues?
ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2018 i just bought that has the 392 rear end but no trailer brake controller. My question is if i install a trailer brake controller would it matter if it is a MOPAR part or can it be after market? Will the after market (off brand) perform the same and be programmable with no issues?
ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS?
I believe many use the OEM controller and use AlfaOBD to activate the factory features for their truck. I don't know about aftermarket though...

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I use an aftermarket Tekonsha Prodigy IQ. Buy it with the correct adapter cable and it will connect directly to the stock connector found under the dash (2 connectors wrapped in foam). You only need to use one of the connectors. I mounted it under the dash to the right of the steering wheel using an existing hole, so no drilling required. No reflash or anything needed to enable it. Works fine for me.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Added OEM to my '16. Only problem I had is they sent me the Gen5 kit instead of the gen 4. Got the gen 4 and all was perfect.
Still have the gen5 kit, unused with OEM controller, that I'm not using listed in the 4 sale section.

Was also using th Tokonshka Prodigy P3 controller before the OEM and actually like the adjustments / fine tuning better than the OEM, but OEM looks better in the truck. Still have that one that I'm not using now, also listed in the 4 sale.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I just made up a wiring harness for mine and then installed a controller. I remove the controller when not pulling and keep it stored in the truck middle dash glove box along with some Propel drink mixes. Other than having to adjust the controller for different trailer brakes it is a perfect and cheap setup.

rambilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you thought of wireless trailer brake controller? Before I bought my 2021 Ram 1500 I was going to use my 2022 Jeep Gladiator to tow my 21' travel trailer. The Gladiator don't have trailer brakes and I don't want anyone making any mods inside my jeep so I bought a Curt Wireless Brake Controller. It works very good along with the app that you can download on either iPhone or android phone. It's pretty much plug and play. Hope this helps.

v/r

Rick

Attachments

• Wireless trlr brake.png
    Wireless trlr brake.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 5

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went aftermarket, installed easy, other than the stupid hole locations FCA have. Bottom screw is easy, top "cabin" side is easy, top "firewall" side... Use a ziptie.

And pre-thread ALL 3 screws into ALL 3 Holes. I didn't. Pretty sure the top "cabin" screw is crossthreaded... But it doesn't make noise, so I don't care anymore.

They stupidly designed the frame side as the "clearance", and the mount plate as the "threaded", so you have to thread in from the console side, where there is no fricken room.

Electrical is easy. Connect the 2 wires, but make sure it is FULLY seated.

Alfa is like 3 settings.

The aftermarket I got is meant as an OEM clone, so it seems to work properly. Although I admit I actually have no trailer... I got it in preparation for a plan that never happened.

Valkyrie0002

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn CC
Engine
I bought an OEM controller online and had the local dealer install and program it. I have the full center console and did not want to deal with the install. The cost to install and program was actually pretty reasonable.