Trailer brake service light without being connected to the trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDutcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I have a 2016 Ram 1500 2wd 5.7 and it has the Service Trailer Brakes warning along with Service the electronic brake system. The trailer is not connected. I also loose the cruise control and the esc light is on. If I turn off the truck and then restart it goes away until I reach approximately 15 mph and then it’s back. I have checked the wheel sensors for open sensors and they check the same. Any suggestions? I have been to O’Reilleys and they couldn’t get any abs codes because it goes away when you shut the motor off.

webgambit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having the same issue with my 2017 Ram 1500 4X4. I live in a pretty rural area but don't usually go far. But the last couple of times I've had to drive for more than an hour, I've had this alert pop up. It just started about a month ago.

I bought the truck used about 7 months ago and have yet to even tow a trailer with it.

If anyone has any recommendations on where to start troubleshooting this, I'd appreciate it.

OP
OP
S

SDutcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well I started with my wheel sensors, all four, and thought I had fixed it. Nope! So I was driving it after replacing all four wheel sensors when the warning lights came back but this time it generated a code. It turned out to be the ECS module internal failure. I shopped around for one but no luck and was quoted as high as $800-$900 if I could find one! A little research and I found a company that would repair mine for $400 plus shipping so I sent the module to them and about 10 days later I got it back and it’s now working! The company’s name is UpFix and they are out of Georgia. I don’t remember the code but it was on their list of fixes. The module isn’t difficult to remove and you won’t have to bleed brakes and such. The down side is your truck will no be drivable untill you get the module back! Good luck!

OP
OP
S

SDutcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Let me correct myself on my previous reply, it was the ABS module not the ECS module. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The double trailer connection on my truck corroded and killed the battery overnight when we camping 400 kms from home silty water and corrosion did it I removed the double plugs and no problem I’ll get another one later

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It seems that many Vehicle owners know that almost every electrical circuit that has a lighting function, in one way or another also go through the Trailer Plug(s)

On a regular basis, the trailer connector should be sprayed with a electrical spray, like
CRC QD ELECTRONIC CLEANER, 11 WT OZ
or

Lps Electro Contact Cleaner

Bakster84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having issues with the same thing. I get the trailer brake service, abs light and the brake light come on the dash. From what I've read it's just a crap shoot as to what the actual issue is and I don't have hundreds of dollars to sink into the issue. It doesn't affect the way the vehicle drives or brakes. I plugged a code reader into it while the dash was lit up and it said no codes.