Trailer hookup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarleyRayHawkeye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to pick up a new camper this weekend and wanting to know if I need to do anything in particular for the trailer brake controller set up,as well as do anything special to make the blind spot monitors cover the trailer to. Thanks.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Typically I run 1 for every thousand pounds on the brake controller to start off. So a 6k trailer I would start off at 6 on the brake controller. Get in a good area to test them. Go 15 mph and hit the hand brake it should bring the truck and trailer to a stop with out locking up the brakes. Dont use the truck brakes for this test if it doesnt stop you then add more if they lock up back it down. That's my typical trailer brake process.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You'll probably have to adjust the brake controller as the trailer brakes bed in if the trailer is brand new.
The WDH probably won't be set up correctly from the dealer. Once you get the trailer loaded up you'll need to correctly set up the WDH.

slim chance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 eTorque
with the 2019, when you plug in the 7 pin connector the trk will sense the brakes, they need adjusted as others have said here, then as you begin to move and make a turn the blind spot monitors will estimate the trailer length automaticly .. a little advice is to take it easy at first til you learn how the combo responds

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I'd like to dump a question in here. to avoid starting another thread.

I will be towing my fiance's brothers car up to Co from TX this weekend.

5.7 hemi, 2wd, 3.55 gears. CCSB. Will be towing the car off the ground, on a uhaul car trailor.

I was just wondering if yall leave the stock Goodyear tires at the rated 35psi, or do you bump them up?

I've towed cars before, but never over 1,000 plus miles. Any other tips for a safe, uneventful trip? Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Any pointers?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was just wondering if yall leave the stock Goodyear tires at the rated 35psi, or do you bump them up?
When towing heavy, I'll inflate my tires from the factory 43 psi up to 50 psi. Those are also Load E tires that the Max Cold Inflation is 80 psi.
I would probably inflate at least the rear tires close to the Max Cold Inflation for your tires. Depending on the car, that trailer loaded is probably going to be in the 5K to 6K range(the trailer alone is 2.2K)

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
When towing heavy, I'll inflate my tires from the factory 43 psi up to 50 psi. Those are also Load E tires that the Max Cold Inflation is 80 psi.
I would probably inflate at least the rear tires close to the Max Cold Inflation for your tires. Depending on the car, that trailer loaded is probably going to be in the 5K to 6K range(the trailer alone is 2.2K)
Thanks for the pointers on tire pressure.

Really didnt expect one of those uhauls to weight 2k pounds though! The car is a 2dr Nissan Altima, so not terrible.

Guess I better stick in some new redline diff oil too lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Really didnt expect one of those uhauls to weight 2k pounds though! The car is a 2dr Nissan Altima, so not terrible.
If that Nissan Altima is front wheel drive, use a tow dolly (front wheel carrier). Then you'll be towing under 4K(dolly weight 750lbs) and there will be less tongue weight. With the U-Haul car trailer, the tongue weight percentage will considerable more.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the door sticker on my laramie calls for 32# but my tires say max 51# so when towing I bump up the pressure. I have gone as high as 40# when towing my 6000# travel trailer. those rented trailers usually have low speed rated tires too..maybe like someone posted, the front wheel dolly might be the best bet. I dont think I would change out the dif. fluid. you will have a trans temp readout on the dash so you can monitor the temp, but the several times I have towed my rig, the tranny has never got very hot. 188*-195* when towing on mostly flats at 70.

Last edited: