Train Horns?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Klein setup. I live in NY, and have no issues with it. Works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
The problem with that sort of setup up here in NY is that anything installed under the truck like that would be corroded into either a solid lump or into dust after one winter road salt season. :(

-K
You could easily coat everything with bedliner spray for corrosion resistance or get an aluminum tank, Lines are Poly, and horns come in stainless.... Problem solved! I was a native NY's, yep the salt & sand beats the **** out of all our vehicles... Not to mention the potholes in queens / LIE / BQE

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I had Nathan k5hl horns on my 5 ton front fender.Also had the correct train horn valve on the dash. Sold the truck but kept the setup. Thinking about mounting on my wifes 1500 4x4 sport.View attachment 207937

Now that's a grocery getter!
I have always had air horns on my trucks, with so many people these days paying more attention to their phones than the road I get to use it al lot. I think air horns are a mild form of road rage, they make you feel better as well as letting them know they are an idiot. I don't like "train horns" just too loud. I find used semi trumpets usually for $20 and buy a good compressor and at least a 2 gallon tank. Add a fitting for an air hose so I can use it for filling low tires, air bags and other inflatable items. I even use it for blowing out my garden water lines in the fall so they don't freeze.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i think they should be illegal everywhere. Danger and could cause wrecks or possibly medical issues for the elderly. Those things are loud and i'm sure i would jerk my wheel in reaction to one going off next to me

The same guy that thinks guns should be banned because they look scary.

Any noise making device should be legal as long its not misused. Example I have a Federal Signal siren. Completely legal. I even had Mr Officer come visit me. Nothing on the books that he could get me on. Now if i was code 3 and trying pull people over, I am sure i would be visiting Mr Judge.

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem with that sort of setup up here in NY is that anything installed under the truck like that would be corroded into either a solid lump or into dust after one winter road salt season. :(

-K
You got that right!

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had thought of putting a loud horn on my truck after last November when a driver pulled into a partially obstructed intersection by a school bus to my right. That resulted in $6000 damage to my truck. Good thing I had slowed down from the 35 posted speed limit.

Anyway, I pass thru this intersection every day from work. Since my 4x4 is manual on the floor I have a perfect easily accessible spot on my dash for a push button where the 4x4 selector would normally be located.

I can think of a few other times I might need this louder horn:

1) When towing my 5th wheel and someone does something stupid entering the freeway or cuts me off.
2) When sitting at a light and I can see them playing with their phone and the short traffic light has already turned green for a few seconds and they're not moving.
3) When I see deer out in the road ahead of me.
4) When one of those so-called loud/legal Harley drivers drums his throttle next to me at an intersection.
5) Probably a few other uses too! :)

Last edited:

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I had them on my last Gold Wing and it was a disaster. Every time I would blow at anyone they would just stop where ever they were, usually in the middle of the intersection. On the freeway they were more likely to move into me than away. I wouldn't do it. Maybe small airhorns or the small combo units. No more.

rotts4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
Try hornblasters.com. They are the best place by far. Also if you google search diesel power magazine train horns You will find an article I wrote on this topic with a how to install on my 04 ram 2500. I am a middle age businessman and I love these things like a kid. I laugh and giggle when I am forced into giving someone a blast. 500$ or so gets you a nice setup at hornblasters. You won’t regret it I promise

5cottD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had thought of putting a loud horn on my truck after last November when a driver pulled into a partially obstructed intersection by a school bus to my right. That resulted in $6000 damage to my truck. Good thing I had slowed down from the 35 posted speed limit.

Anyway, I pass thru this intersection every day from work. Since my 4x4 is manual on the floor I have a perfect easily accessible spot on my dash for a push button where the 4x4 selector would normally be located.

I can think of a few other times I might need this louder horn:

1) When towing my 5th wheel and someone does something stupid entering the freeway or cuts me off.
2) When sitting at a light and I can see them playing with their phone and the short traffic light has already turned green for a few seconds and they're not moving.
3) When I see deer out in the road ahead of me.
4) When one of those so-called loud/legal Harley drivers drums his throttle next to me at an intersection.
5) Probably a few other uses too! :)

Harley riders have louder exhaust added for the same reason you want a louder horn. I have almost been rear ended because the idiot didn't see me. Pushed out of my lane or onto the shoulder because the idiot pulling away from the light didn't see me and just moved over. Bad drivers are everywhere and I'll keep my loud pipes so at least they hear me. I agree that there is no reason for unnecessary revving but a little blip so everyone knows I'm there is a good idea. Repeated revving is annoying an probably a newer rider. Be careful.

You would have a hard time finding a case today where a car hit a bike without the driver claiming "I didn't see him!". If you drive a modern BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, you can't hear anything but a train horn or loud Harley right next to you if the windows are up.

If you have kids, when you are on a trip make a game out of finding motorcycles on the road. They will start seeing them quickly and that will stay with them for life.

I also just ordered one of these for the RAM. - https://hornblasters.com/products/musket-horn

Woody1

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I pieced together air horns from a military truck, a 5 gallon tank and a compressor.

I also put in an air fitting under the hood, so I have full on board air.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
The same guy that thinks guns should be banned because they look scary.

Any noise making device should be legal as long its not misused. Example I have a Federal Signal siren. Completely legal. I even had Mr Officer come visit me. Nothing on the books that he could get me on. Now if i was code 3 and trying pull people over, I am sure i would be visiting Mr Judge.
not really. i own several guns, had a CCW for 25 years and worked in law enforcement for several. but i am also safety conscious. I could see these horns doing more harm than good and I'm sure there has been at least 1 accident caused by them. The same people that use these horns were mentioned by someone else earlier. They are the ones that have the 50" tires with 9' lifts and blow black smoke everywhere because they need attention. Ever watch any Goonsquad videos on youtube? Guys screw up more vehicles than they fix. Bought a wrecked Duramax to tow their trailer and modded it so much they couldn't tow anymore so had to buy another one. And yep, they installed train horns.

just one of mine here
IMG-2664.jpg

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got mine at my pushcart.com and what’s nice you can get’em already setup with valve and greaseless compressor on the tank so they’re easier to install and tend to have fewer leaks. They run from about 200.00- 400.00 for a really good system mine cost 250.00 and They’ll get your attention at 125 dbs. They use bigger fittings and solenoids. But you will need remember that you need some to mount the kit somewhere that when the compressor kicks on you don’t want to feel it and it will charge overnight when the system is low so be prepared for that also making some racket.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Anyone running a set of train horns? I’m looking at purchasing a set but don’t know what sets are good quality and lower on price. I’m not dishing out $800-$1500 for a set. Or has anyone made their own?

Train horns will just cause people to freeze and probably jam on the brakes while they look for...a train. And you’re in Canada so you need something that stands out and encourages movement, like this:

best,
DG

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Crazy Canuck ... What the hell ya want train horns for ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am a Canuck too-I am sure if I go blasting one of those I will be lit up 2secs after I hit it. Can you imagine someone behind you hitting one of those!!!