Transmission flush/filter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Hey guys,
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 4wd with the Hemi and 8 speed transmission with 58k miles on it. I am going to do a transmission service and my local AAA shop says that they use a transmission flush machine that cleans EVERYTHING out and replaces the fluid. They're telling me that I don't need to change the filter/pan because the machine cleans it so well. Obviously, I would rather spend $225 instead of $900 at the dealer because they change the filter/pan. I've never towed anything and I don't put anything in the bed exceeding about 350lbs. Does anyone have any input on whether the transmission flush machines do a good enough job to not replace the filter/pan? BTW - I will be using AMSOIL synthetic fluid. TIA

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
First off, if they don't have a machine that makes the fluid hot enough to open the thermostat it will not flush the trans cooler.
There is NO way to clean a filter, if you were to back flush it all that crap it sucked up would be loose in Your pan. Always change your filter it's costly but it's the right way. I'd get a second shops opinion to be 100% but my view is if you drain your engine oil and replace it but don't change the filter did you didn't do the job properly

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depending on how long you are going to keep the truck you might consider a PPE trans pan with a disposable filter, that way if you need to do a filter change again you don't have to purchase the pan and filter from the dealer. All you would need is the filter itself and the fluid. I also agree with the above comments, I would have an independent shop you trust do the filter change. There are a few threads that talk about the procedure required to do the filter change and the refill process, you might look them up, and then you would be able to judge if whoever you select to do the job, knows what is required.
Jay

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I agree, filters need to be replaced. They wouldn't change the engine oil and clean/re-use the oil filter. The pan should be fine.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are two filters for the trans. Never heard of a machine so good you don’t need to buy new filters. I bet they’ve got some nice ocean front property in Az too!

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used a B&G Trans Flush Machine on a very high milage SUV. It used B&G transfluid replacement and worked very well with noticeable improvement. A majority of the fluid will be in your converter and I believe there is a process for cycling it through when hot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Some oil change places have a machine that does a complete fluid change with the truck running. Gets pretty much all of it and puts in the same amount it takes out as you go. Load it with your fluid of choice. Still does not do the filter though. Taking the pan off doesn't actually drop a lot of fluid so the idea of doing the change with the machine and then dropping the pan and filter after a couple days so the old one picks up anything the flush broke loose appeals to me. This is a pretty good video another member posted. Guy does the change himself, covers all the check procedures some diy tips based on his own mistakes and what he eventually ended up doing. .

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm sure what this AAA shop guy was talking about is a fluid exchange machine like said above. I think they use the term "flush" to make it sound good for people who know nothing about cars. Flush is a horrible term IMO.

These machines tie into the cooler lines and replace the exact amount of fluid that's being extracted w/ new fluid, using the transmission itself to do the pumping. Very much like how a blood transfusion works.

You really can't screw anything up with these fluid exchange machines unless maybe a wrong spec fluid is being used.

On the ZF8's, it's not only about the integrated filter in the pan, there's also a bunch of magnets in the pan that are going to stay loaded with junk. I'd want a new pan put on. You can get them as inexpensive as $30 online, or pay 10x that for OEM.

Problem with letting any old shop do this is, once the pan comes off and gets replaced, fluid is going to need to be added though the fill port and the level checking process will need to be done. Not sure I'd trust just anyone with that task.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm sure what this AAA shop guy was talking about is a fluid exchange machine like said above. I think they use the term "flush" to make it sound good for people who know nothing about cars. Flush is a horrible term IMO.

These machines tie into the cooler lines and replace the exact amount of fluid that's being extracted w/ new fluid, using the transmission itself to do the pumping. Very much like how a blood transfusion works.

You really can't screw anything up with these fluid exchange machines unless maybe a wrong spec fluid is being used.

On the ZF8's, it's not only about the integrated filter in the pan, there's also a bunch of magnets in the pan that are going to stay loaded with junk. I'd want a new pan put on. You can get them as inexpensive as $30 online, or pay 10x that for OEM.

Problem with letting any old shop do this is, once the pan comes off and gets replaced, fluid is going to need to be added though the fill port and the level checking process will need to be done. Not sure I'd trust just anyone with that task.
The one thing the guy in the video noted was that the fluid coming out is warmer than what goes in so a follow up the next day with the transmission in the correct temperature range is important as his was a little low due expansion of the hot fluid. He printed out the ZF level check procedure and brought it with him to ensure it was done correctly.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Unless things have changed recently with flush machines,i don't think you're going to get a decent flush on the 8 speed as Brandon mentioned. The fluid needs to be roughly 180+F for the tranny thermostat to open allowing the fluid to be flushed out of the lines and cooler

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's been a while now but from what I remember the fluid exchange works like a two-sided bladder. First you fill-up the clean side with fresh ATF. As old fluid fills the used oil bladder it pressurizes the clean side and replaces what came out. The machine is directional though so it needs to be hooked up to the correct hose and with the correct flow. This is all subject to memory though and mine is not the most reliable.

What I do remember is working with the drivetrain guy and him specifically saying "this machine is ****, don't use it. Just do a pan drop, replace the filter and top it up while it's running hot" .... I might be paraphrasing.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's been a while now but from what I remember the fluid exchange works like a two-sided bladder. First you fill-up the clean side with fresh ATF. As old fluid fills the used oil bladder it pressurizes the clean side and replaces what came out. The machine is directional though so it needs to be hooked up to the correct hose and with the correct flow. This is all subject to memory though and mine is not the most reliable.

What I do remember is working with the drivetrain guy and him specifically saying "this machine is ****, don't use it. Just do a pan drop, replace the filter and top it up while it's running hot" .... I might be paraphrasing.
I was a tranny guy at GM Dealer for 15 years and IMHO flushing causes more grief than it ever prevents or cures. "It's called snake oil yeah,been around for a long,long time."

WHO CHANGES OIL WITHOUT CHANGING FILTERS?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Have a local shop that does good work change the filters and do a fluid exchange. As mentioned before, print out the procedure and ask the shop to follow it to ensure the trans is filled correctly.

Ask the AAA guy, if the machine pushed all the crud out of the filter where does it go? The machine can't push it "forward" through the filter since the filter pores are what stopped the crud from going that direction in the first place. If the machine pushes the crud "backwards" through the filter, it will end up in the pan. I wouldn't let that shop touch my transmission.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517