Transmission issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kissfan4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well i have been getting the bump from 2-1 in my 2016, and it is not downshifting to 1st when coming to a stop, then as i accelerate it drops into 1st causing a violent jerk. Dropping the truck off tomorrow so we will see what they say. I really wish they would just put a new transmission in it, but i know that is not going to happen.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Well i have been getting the bump from 2-1 in my 2016, and it is not downshifting to 1st when coming to a stop, then as i accelerate it drops into 1st causing a violent jerk. Dropping the truck off tomorrow so we will see what they say. I really wish they would just put a new transmission in it, but i know that is not going to happen.
mine they did a modular program up date first time its foundly work correctly ! it shifted so crappy too !

OP
OP
K

kissfan4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I got my truck a year ago this Friday, and it shifted perfectly for the longest time, it started the bump in the fall, then it seemed to go away, but it is back and worse than ever. Figured i would get it in before the factory warranty expired, although i do have a lifetime power train warranty through the dealer i bought from (not a ram dealer).

speedinsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is another thread called "harsh downshift" that I posted regarding the same problem. This has been going on for more than a year on my truck. I am dropping mine off tomorrow for a TSB that they just released. TSB # is 21-010-20. Hope this fixes the problem. It doesn't do it in the tow/haul mode. You might try that on your truck and see if it changes also. Some people swear its a bad transmission, but others have had theirs replaced and it came right back. I'm hoping its just a programming issue. These are adaptive learning transmissions and very complex. Good luck.

OP
OP
K

kissfan4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
There is another thread called "harsh downshift" that I posted regarding the same problem. This has been going on for more than a year on my truck. I am dropping mine off tomorrow for a TSB that they just released. TSB # is 21-010-20. Hope this fixes the problem. It doesn't do it in the tow/haul mode. You might try that on your truck and see if it changes also. Some people swear its a bad transmission, but others have had theirs replaced and it came right back. I'm hoping its just a programming issue. These are adaptive learning transmissions and very complex. Good luck.

I just read your "harsh downshift" thread, and was coming to ask about the tsb, i couldn't find anything about it online. Do you have any info on it?

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

That dreaded 2-1 bump stop. My truck has been in for this issue at least 5 times in the past year. One dealer replaced my valve body, then a different dealer replaced the transmission. The issue never went away and is still there. I have a 2016 as well. When i put the truck in tow/haul, the issue goes away. Pretty frustrating. I have been told RAM knows very well about our issue.
I have been told a few times its the adaptive tranny, and stop and go traffic, which i don't buy. I have been putting the truck in tow/haul to avoid the issue. They said the ram engineers are working on an update to fix the issue, but i highly doubt they are.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Let us know if the update fixes the bump stop issue

speedinsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let us know if the update fixes the bump stop issue
I've put about 400 miles on since the TSB, and there is no change in the shifting. I called the service manager late on Friday and he is going to get back with me.

GREGORY BRIGGS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecotorq 5.7
I have a 2019 longhorn with ecotech hemi and tranny has been doing weird stuff since new. In shop at least a dozen times and not fixed dealer has had truck since january 29th trying to replicate issue before doing anything. The tranny when coming to a stop will go into maual mode all by itself usually 1st or 2nd gear not drive like it should be. Anyone else having this issueIMG_1978 (3).JPG IMG_2008.JPG

speedinsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 longhorn with ecotech hemi and tranny has been doing weird stuff since new. In shop at least a dozen times and not fixed dealer has had truck since january 29th trying to replicate issue before doing anything. The tranny when coming to a stop will go into maual mode all by itself usually 1st or 2nd gear not drive like it should be. Anyone else having this issueView attachment 196954 View attachment 196955

Fortunately mine is not doing that. You might try checking in the 5th generation forum.

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Any updates? My 2015 suffers from this as well. I'm the second owner but the truck only has 34k miles. No warranty for me :disgust:

The TSB only lists the 2011-2012 Ram 1500 which has the 65RFE. I don't think this covers our trucks unless there is an updated TSB that covers the 8HP70.

Attachments

• tsb_wk2_2101012.pdf
    249.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I've put about 400 miles on since the TSB, and there is no change in the shifting. I called the service manager late on Friday and he is going to get back with me.

I have a 2019 longhorn with ecotech hemi and tranny has been doing weird stuff since new. In shop at least a dozen times and not fixed dealer has had truck since january 29th trying to replicate issue before doing anything. The tranny when coming to a stop will go into maual mode all by itself usually 1st or 2nd gear not drive like it should be. Anyone else having this issueView attachment 196954 View attachment 196955

Hi @speedinsteve & @GREGORY BRIGGS,

I regret to hear your updates shared here. Please know that our team is just a private message away and we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support as you address your current concerns with your dealers.

Mark
RamCares