Transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Lyall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2011 Ram has issues with the transmission when it's cold. It will shift from 1st to 4th quickly. At around 2000rpm it switches. When it's warmed up and I shut off the truck and restart it I can make it work in "semi automatic" mode.
Anyone else ever encounter this issue? I bought it used and the guy who sold it to me said when it was bought new it's towing capacity was increased to 13,000lbs. Could this have something to do with it?

Cheers

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2011 Ram has issues with the transmission when it's cold. It will shift from 1st to 4th quickly. At around 2000rpm it switches. When it's warmed up and I shut off the truck and restart it I can make it work in "semi automatic" mode.
Anyone else ever encounter this issue? I bought it used and the guy who sold it to me said when it was bought new it's towing capacity was increased to 13,000lbs. Could this have something to do with it?

Cheers
1) You might get better answers by posting this question in the 4th Gen forum as it may be specific to your year.
2) There is absolutely zero possibility that a 1500 with a 5.7 is capable of towing 13,000 pounds. Not farther than down the block, anyway. Your issue may be linked to the transmission having been torn up internally by towing that much weight.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does it behave the same way in tow haul mode?

OP
OP
D

D Lyall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 6x10 trailer that I have filled with firewood and it seemed to work better than when it's not loaded. The smoothness of acceleration and shifting seemed better than what I was expecting. I know it wasn't 13,000 lbs but it pulled well.
When the transmission is cold it doesn't matter what mode it's in (normal, tow/haul, or using the -/+ button on the shifter) it shifts from 1st to 4th.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357