Transmission not serviceable????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 ST 4x4 with the 8-Speed Automatic 8HP70 Transmission. I called a local dealer for servicing the transmission (fluid change) and was told there is no service component on the transmission. The service manual says, "Change automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) (six-speed automatic only), if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing." Is the 8 speed truly non-serviceable?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 ST 4x4 with the 8-Speed Automatic 8HP70 Transmission. I called a local dealer for servicing the transmission (fluid change) and was told there is no service component on the transmission. The service manual says, "Change automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) (six-speed automatic only), if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing." Is the 8 speed truly non-serviceable?
Yes it's servicable.Do a search on here for the procedure.BTW ZF reconmends servicing the 8 speed between 80,000 Kilometers(50,000 miles) if you tow , to 130,000 kilometers(80,000miles) if you use it more like a pavenment princess/car , or 8 years which ever comes first.Remember FCA/Stellantis is in the business of selling you a new vehicle as often as they can,so they only care that it lasts long enough to make it past the warrenty period,after that they hope it'll blow up,and you'll trade it off on a new vehicle when you can't get parts to repair it,or you're in a bind and need another vehicle right away,because waiting 6 months or longer for parts is not feasable

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remember FCA/Stellantis is in the business of selling you a new vehicle as often as they can,so they only care that it lasts long enough to make it past the warrenty period,after that they hope it'll blow up,and you'll trade it off on a new vehicle when you can't get parts to repair it,or you're in a bind and need another vehicle right away,because waiting 6 months or longer for parts is not feasable

IDK if I agree with that. I think they do a pretty good job outlining maintenance procedures for those who want to find them. Vehicles are going to wear out anyway. Owners are going to want to upgrade due to changing needs, technology improvements, new style, etc. Owners *could*, if they wanted to, make a vehicle last almost forever given the right level of preventative maintenance and new parts as needed. But I do agree Chrysler could do a better job addressing issues as they become apparent.

I suspect the transmission fill & maintenance scenario was much debated at the corporate level prior to the 8-spd release. But some other vehicles (VWs) have used the same transmission fill/check strategy since the 90's. I'm not a fan of it (no trans fill tube) either.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
IDK if I agree with that. I think they do a pretty good job outlining maintenance procedures. Vehicles are going to wear out anyway. Owners get bored, their needs change, technology progresses ...and eventually want something new-er anyway. Owners could make a vehicle last almost forever given the right level of maintenance, new parts and attention before a small issue becomes a bigger one. But I do agree they could do a better job addressing issues as they become apparent.

I suspect the transmission fill & maintenance scenario was much debated at the corporate level prior to the 8-spd release. But some other vehicles (VWs) have used the same transmission fill/check strategy since the 90's. I'm not a fan of it (no trans fill tube) either.
Have you tried to get parts lately,they're making it virtually impossible to keep vehicles running these days,do to lack of available replacement parts. Their excuse is supply chain issues,but i'm not so sure that's the reason,i almost wonder if it's upper management ,keeping replacement part supplies low,as most consumers will trade something off at a loss rather then wait 6 months or more for an engine/transmission/rear-end replacement.
There's absolutely no reason why it takes 6+ months these days to get an engine done under warrenty,other then upper management keeping supply low

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have you tried to get parts lately,they're making it virtually impossible to keep vehicles running these days,do to lack of available replacement parts. Their excuse is supply chain issues,but i'm not so sure that's the reason,i almost wonder if it's upper management ,keeping replacement part supplies low,as most consumers will trade something off at a loss rather then wait 6 months or more for an engine/transmission/rear-end replacement.
There's absolutely no reason why it takes 6+ months these days to get an engine done under warrenty,other then upper management keeping supply low
Well if they do that to me I would most likely do like you said and get another vehicle, just not from the brand that screwed me the 1st time.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally haven't had problems getting parts lately, or in the recent past.Then again, haven't needed to order a ton of parts either lately. When I do, I generally look to a variety of vendors (for OEM) or ebay (NOS or new oem).

So I guess, No and yes, I guess is the answer... lol. I haven't experienced many maintenance parts issues personally. I see Rock Auto has a number of 8-spd pan/filter's incl Mopar, (and fluid), and are listed as in-stock.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I personally haven't had problems getting parts lately, or in the recent past.Then again, haven't needed to order a ton of parts either lately. When I do, I generally look to a variety of vendors (for OEM) or ebay (NOS or new oem).

So I guess, No and yes, I guess is the answer... lol. I haven't experienced many maintenance parts issues personally. I see Rock Auto has a number of 8-spd pan/filter's incl Mopar, (and fluid), and are listed as in-stock.

Those are easy parts to get,i'm talking about warrenty replacement parts like engines / transmissions /rear ends etc,the stuff that'll disable a vehicle,very seldom do maintance parts cripple a vehicle to the point it's not drivable

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope, I haven't had to order larger hard-parts in a while (Thankfully). Hope Chrysler gets back-orders cleared up though.. :rolleyes: