Transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpcHughes0913

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I have a 98 1500 rwd with the 5.2 I recently started having a tapping noise that only appears when transmission is in gear and under load and around 45mph its not super loud but it gets more noticeable around 55mph. It also has a intermittent shudder/shake around 55mph. If I let off the gas it goes away but as soon as I put my foot back on the gas it comes right back. I'm thinking it's the torque converter but I'm not 100% sure any help or ideas would be greatly appreciate.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
I was experiencing a sort of shudder/shaking with mine, also a few other problems like not going into park, and high revving between some shifts. I pulled the pan and found 2 metal pieces stuck to the magnet in the pan. I also pulled the valve body and a couple parts from the front band fell out. When the parts fell out it started going back into park again. I put the pieces back in the band and realized the band was way out of adjustment, and adjusted it. It was then that I emptied the pan and found the 2 metal pieces which appear to be pieces of the internal rings. That was the eff me moment, and so far I'm still working on either rebuilding or swapping it.
In your case I think I would first drain and drop the pan, change filter, look for anything stuck to the magnet, and adjust the bands. Depending on your mileage and since you are that far along it would probably pay to drop the valve body and put a valve body rebuild kit in it.
You can do all that without dropping the trans. Note: Use a wide drain pan, particularly when removing the valve body, a lot of additional fluid will come out.

Also I am not a Auto trans guy but some of the guys here have been helping me along, and they are quite knowledgeable.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
You can also check out my Transmission shifting issues thread below, there's pictures and documents and plenty of advice provided by some of the other guys !