Transmission seal leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pullinair

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I seem to have a small leak coming from the part circled in red in the attached picture. I can't seem to find a description of the part on google, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm assuming there's a gasket under there...

Thanks!

trans.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Looks like a rear main seal. So ur rear crankshaft is likely leaking. Is it oil or tranny fluid?

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
That covers the torque converter for the transmission. It provides the access to the bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate on the engine.

OP
OP
pullinair

pullinair

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I'm going to take it for a spin and get it warmed up. I just got done cleaning it off, that area was covered in old buildup so the leak I was seeing was picking that up and I couldn't tell if it was tranny or oil. I'll get back to you.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
+1 on the rear main. Hard to tell in a pic but the oil doesn’t look red.

OP
OP
pullinair

pullinair

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
That covers the torque converter for the transmission. It provides the access to the bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate on the engine.
I'm guessing there's fluid behind that cover?

OP
OP
pullinair

pullinair

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I cleaned the cover and surrounding area some more and went for a 14 mile drive. Found oil weeping out from the cover - picture attached. I'm assuming this means the rear main is leaking and will need to be replaced? Anyone have any thoughts on cost?

Thanks for all the help so far!

cover.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Not sure on the cost. Probly not cheap as they need to split the transmission from engine to replace it. [emoji51]

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It’s pretty labour intensive. I’d avoid the dealerships and get a few quotes from smaller shops. I would guess between $1000-$1500.

OP
OP
pullinair

pullinair

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Well, sounds like it'll need to be fixed. Thanks for the input everyone.

I have no idea how long it's been like this as I just bought the truck and haven't put many miles on it. Will driving with it like this cause any lasting damage or do I just need to keep an eye on the oil level?

Edit: The truck has 119k on it, anything I should think about doing to the transmission while it's out? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money... :emotions122:

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Just keep an eye on the level. And make sure it don't start leaking too bad. Remember it's just sweating horsepower. [emoji13]

OP
OP
pullinair

pullinair

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Just keep an eye on the level. And make sure it don't start leaking too bad.

I'll have to get it fixed soon, will be towing a car from Georgia to Texas by way of Missouri this summer. Then pulling a 34' Airstream around the country for awhile.

Remember it's just sweating horsepower. [emoji13]

I need all I can get!

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, sounds like it'll need to be fixed. Thanks for the input everyone.

I have no idea how long it's been like this as I just bought the truck and haven't put many miles on it. Will driving with it like this cause any lasting damage or do I just need to keep an eye on the oil level?

Edit: The truck has 119k on it, anything I should think about doing to the transmission while it's out? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money... :emotions122:

If it were a standard it would be a good time to change your clutch and bearing...but since everything is automatic these days i can't think of anything.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Sorry i didn't see this message..that cover is just an access cover. You can take it off and have a closer look without causing any problems.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'll have to get it fixed soon, will be towing a car from Georgia to Texas by way of Missouri this summer. Then pulling a 34' Airstream around the country for awhile.

I need all I can get!
Yeah Id get to getting it fixed. Last thing you want is to be in some Po dunk town with a mechanic that just sees a desperate traveler he can get as much cash from as possible.

OP
OP
pullinair

pullinair

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Sorry i didn't see this message..that cover is just an access cover. You can take it off and have a closer look without causing any problems.
I'll do that today, anything I should look for/at while I have it off?

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
it doesn't look bad enough to change yet. How about a bottle of sealer first? Much cheaper and could be the fix your wallet will like.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
No, just the bottom of the torque converter and the flexplate on the engine. It might allow you to see where the oil is coming from as well. If it's behind the flex plate then it's engine oil, if it's behind the torque converter, more likely tranny.

I don't know if the engine you have has a one piece rear mains or a split rear main. Older engines used to have split two piece rear main seals that could be replaced by pulling the oil pan. It's probably a one piece. And you would have to separate the tranny and the engine to get to it.