Transmission shifts hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yachaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
so I am a new owner of diesel trucks. But I’ve been around them all my life. None of the other dodges, Ford, or Chevy diesels have had transmissions shifts as bad as mine. It’s got 128,000 miles on it. But it seems like it struggles to shift into gear. Going from first to second is awful. Like the whole truck moves when it does it. Second to third is almost as bad. But third to fourth seems normal. As I just giving it too much gas or is there an issue with the transmission? I’ve owned two other trucks before. I had a dodge 1500 with the hemi and the whole rear end had to be rebuilt but the transmission was fine. The other was a 94 Chevy blazer. It had over 220,000 miles with the original transmission and had no issues whatsoever. So I’m just wondering if I should get it checked out or if this is normal for the newer 4th gen trucks.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Cant see any of that on my phone. :)

I know the 07s had valve body problems and torque converter problems.

When was the fluid and filter changed last ?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No, not normal. It's possible it's a software issue and you need to do a relearn. A dealer can do this. Also a good idea to change the fluid and filters.

OP
OP
Y

Yachaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
No, not normal. It's possible it's a software issue and you need to do a relearn. A dealer can do this. Also a good idea to change the fluid and filters.
Alright. I’ll go do the relearn because well like I’ve stated. I’ve only ever driven older trucks and cars. So all this technology and stuff is new to me.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This assumed you have checked for codes.

OP
OP
Y

Yachaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Cant see any of that on my phone. :)

I know the 07s had valve body problems and torque converter problems.

When was the fluid and filter changed last ?
This assumed you have checked for codes.
like I’ve said. All the new technology in vehicles I have no clue what to do with. So anything with the technology in the vehicle. I have no knowledge of.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Many auto stores, advanced auto and such, can pull codes.