Transmission Shudder, Dealer can't fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP stated it does not shudder when truck downshifts out of third.[/QUOTE]
It shouldn't be in 3rd at 15 mph.Sounds like a shift control issue to me.You could build that trans a hundred times or even replace it and it won't cure a control issue.You've proven this by using the tow/haul to get rid of it.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the old days we would put a mild shift kit into get rid of harsh or soft shifts.It would make all the shifting more consistent.I'll bet a Tune/Programmer would cure your issue.JMHO.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In the old days we would put a mild shift kit into get rid of harsh or soft shifts.It would make all the shifting more consistent.I'll bet a Tune/Programmer would cure your issue.JMHO.

In my case a custom HF tune did not solve this issue. Neither did an aftermarket torque converter.

OP
OP
OzarksRam

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In my case a custom HF tune did not solve this issue. Neither did an aftermarket torque converter.
I'm glad you said that. I wanted to try a custom HF tune but I was afraid that if I tried it and it didn't work then I would be really stuck. Ram would just deny any further warranty claims. I heard from them yesterday to verify my claim was open. They are supposed to speak with the dealership and get back to me Friday. If I get any new info, I'll post an update.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It shouldn't be in 3rd at 15 mph.Sounds like a shift control issue to me.

LOL..... me and everyone else with this truck couldn't agree more. My truck will easily be in 3rd at 15 lugging, chugging and clunking away. Then, it slams down to first. Shift control issue? Absolutely.... many on this board have been looking for the engineer that designed this POS transmission for the last 5 years :)

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the Ram engineers really ****** it up good trying to squeeze more mpg's out of these things.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn't think a new converter would help when it's a control issue.
Has anybody road tested with a scan tool to see if the converter is staying locked on while this is happening?Freeze Frame Data is your friend for something like this.Lock up should only occur in certain gears and at a certain engine load.I'd be surprised to see it still locked up when you're basically coasting(no load)when turning a corner that slow.

OP
OP
OzarksRam

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just an update for anyone else that has had to deal with this issue. First of all Dealing with the "Star" Team at Ram is incredibly difficult. But the last thing they said to try was to add 6oz of friction modifier to the transmission. The same thing that is added to a Limited Slip Differential. It has still shuddered a couple times but hardly noticeable if you aren't looking for it. Instead of the truck holding in 3rd gear and shuddering when under a load, you can now feel the truck shift into 2nd. When the truck actually shifts there is no shudder. I'm hoping the few times it has still done it, can be attributed to only a few miles driven since they added the friction modifier. I hope this actually resolves the issue. Its been a frustrating 4 years dealing with this.

carl newton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ford diesel
is this transmission issues a "know problem/issue" with the 2015 transmission? I am figuring this is not the asian trans..

OP
OP
OzarksRam

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No, its not the Aisin. It should be a known problem as there were other trucks at the dealership I was taking mine too that had the same problem along with others on this forum that have had a similar complaint.
And just for an update, the friction modifier worked for a couple days and the same issue has came back and gets a little worse each day. They are going to rebuild the transmission but the parts aren't available so I have been waiting. The Ram engineers think there are "Blisters" on the clutches that are causing the shudder. Once they rebuild it I'll report back if the problem is actually fixed.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, its not the Aisin. It should be a known problem as there were other trucks at the dealership I was taking mine too that had the same problem along with others on this forum that have had a similar complaint.
And just for an update, the friction modifier worked for a couple days and the same issue has came back and gets a little worse each day. They are going to rebuild the transmission but the parts aren't available so I have been waiting. The Ram engineers think there are "Blisters" on the clutches that are causing the shudder. Once they rebuild it I'll report back if the problem is actually fixed.
That's all good but if you think about it my money would be on the shudder causing these "blistered" clutch plates.So building it would just mask the initial problem for a while and result in the same thing eventually.
BTW I built tranny's for a lot of years and never heard of blistered clutch plates.The fiber plates will either burnt or not.Although I guess you could call the hot spots on the steel plates blisters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado