transmission slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.2
troubleshooting slipping transmission

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

When is it slipping? What gear?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF!

How about some more details on the truck and some specifics on what your transmission is doing. This is with the undertstanding that internet diagnostics is pretty dicey even with the best information.

I see its a '99 with a 5.2. I am assuming it's an automatic.

But for kicks, and future reference for anyone else...its nice to know the mileage, when it was last serviced.

As far as the transmission...when does it slip>?

Does it do it warm? cold? or both?

What gears if during shifting?

Any grinding or noises?

Is the tranny fluid burnt? smell bad?

Does your trans temp light come on?

Areyou/did you get a CEL...and if so have you had the code read? Best to do that before proceeding further.

Last edited:

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
May not help you any but I hope it does. My trans was slipping and jerking around 3rd. I drained the tranny fluid ,swaped the filter ,and cleaned all the shavings off the magnet in the pan. When I put it all back together and refilled it I used a bottle of Lucas tranny additive. Over the next week or so I noticed the tranny getting smother. The slipping stopped slipping and the jerking stoped jerking (for lack of better wording lol). That was a year ago and the issue has'nt returned. The whole thing took about $20 and a ratchet.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May not help you any but I hope it does. My trans was slipping and jerking around 3rd. I drained the tranny fluid ,swaped the filter ,and cleaned all the shavings off the magnet in the pan. When I put it all back together and refilled it I used a bottle of Lucas tranny additive. Over the next week or so I noticed the tranny getting smother. The slipping stopped slipping and the jerking stoped jerking (for lack of better wording lol). That was a year ago and the issue has'nt returned. The whole thing took about $20 and a ratchet.

I mean absolutely no offense, but my adding that additive into your transmission, you have basically guaranteed yourself a rebuild in the long run.

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I mean absolutely no offense, but my adding that additive into your transmission, you have basically guaranteed yourself a rebuild in the long run.

None taken. You may be right I'm no mechinac here so I cant say I agree or disagree based on any technical knowledge. But I can say I'v used additives in all my vehicle's including semi trucks and never had a issue before. However I wont rule out the possibility and if I have to rebuild in the future so be it. After all it is a machine and was never desighned to last forever........ that will be my eccuse to upgrade the drive train my friend lol.