Transmission Temp Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I want to install a "true" temp sensor, not using a test port. Here is my idea put a gauge before and after the the transmission cooler. Wire then into a switch you will flip so they can use one gauge.
Another option is to tap into the factory temp sensor wire.
What do you guys think and do you guys recommend any product they taps into the hard lines?

Rigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You may wanna try westach.com . They have some slick two gauges in one that you may like better, plus all the couplings you'll need.

Here's what some of them look like. This is an oil temp & psi, but they can do dual temps or whatever combo you want.

2DC3.jpg

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
IMO the dual function gauges look too busy for my taste - I can't see how the style pictured could be very easy to read at a glance the way the needles overlap. I would like them better if each gauge had it's own side.

The way gauges read resistance it may be hard to get accurate, consistent readings switching between them. May not be an issue, but I would check the switch for 0 resistance.

On my race car I just monitor fluid temp in the pan. Since my pan already had a 1/2" NF drain plug installed, I just tapped the center of the plug to 1/8" NPT, and install the sending unit into the plug. Actually I monitor both trans fluid and engine oil temps this way.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may wanna try westach.com . They have some slick two gauges in one that you may like better, plus all the couplings you'll need.

Here's what some of them look like. This is an oil temp & psi, but they can do dual temps or whatever combo you want.

2DC3.jpg

IMO the dual function gauges look too busy for my taste - I can't see how the style pictured could be very easy to read at a glance the way the needles overlap. I would like them better if each gauge had it's own side.

The way gauges read resistance it may be hard to get accurate, consistent readings switching between them. May not be an issue, but I would check the switch for 0 resistance.

On my race car I just monitor fluid temp in the pan. Since my pan already had a 1/2" NF drain plug installed, I just tapped the center of the plug to 1/8" NPT, and install the sending unit into the plug. Actually I monitor both trans fluid and engine oil temps this way.
I just noticed this was posted in the audio section my fault lol. I just wanted to see if it was still to hot after the cooler as this truck pulls heavy loads